Now eventually you are going to have a Comic Book thread on this Comic Book forum, right?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
To paraphrase Dr. M.

So what's a Comic Book you're really into or have been thinking about right now?

I have been having trouble getting to the store, so I'm way behind on a lot of things I'd LIKE to be reading.

One I did manage to grab recently that I really enjoyed was Defenders #1 from Marvel. Really nice art. A cool eclectic cast is set up. It continues the threads from Marvel 1000 last year that caught my interest and it ends with a fun-crazy Marvel deep cut that looks to set up a neat story.

-ZacWilliam, I'd like to be reading the current Kurt Busiek Marvel book because the first two issues were great and deeply my Jam but sadly I havnt actually been able to find issue 3 and 4 in stores. :p

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Free Comic Book Day was also...more than a month ago. But, hey, maybe some people found some books there that they like, or have stories from the day of. I liked the Avatar one with Uncle Iroh finding romance at his tea shop, and dealing with some spirits. And the Archie book was actually fairly fun, dealing with multiple versions of the characters throughout the multiverse. We Live actually had a nice post-apocalyptic Goonies sort of feel to it. Stray Dogs...might be a bit of a surprise if you haven't checked that out yet, it's darker and more subtle than it looks. Lady Mechanika had some nice artwork, and might be worth checking out. The School for Extraterrestrial Girls one peaked my interest more than I thought it would, even though it DOES feel like a young adult novel in graphic novel form. The Sonic the Hedgehog book was cute, even though half of it was just a recap of the main book so far. The Captain Harlock book has some really nice art, but you better know something about the original 70s anime, because it continues right on from that...none of the movie version stuff in this one. And the Street Fighter and Tea Dragon Oni Sampler books both had pretty great artwork. Not the greatest FCBD ever, but solid enough.

(My pick for the worst book I picked up on FCBD? The Trailer Park Boys one. I had to look up what this even was. It's surprisingly injokey for a FCBD book).

A lot of the books I'm following are coming to a end pretty soon. Immortal Hulk and Die both have one issue left. And...um...Immortal Hulk most likely will NOT be getting a sequel with the same team, for...political differences, lets say, between the creators. (Does anyone really want to hear about that drama?)

But, if anyone's been waiting on Die, now would be a good time to catch up. And if you're worried that you're not much of a tabletop game player, I'll say that a lot of the story is about fantasy stories in general too. I don't want to give too much away, but there's definitely references to Tolkien, the Bronte Sisters, and Lovecraft. It's actually fairly literature-focused. The gaming side is actually more in the background, mostly. Even though, they ARE building a real tabletop game based on the book that you can check out the rules for online. I'm still not 100% sure we're not going to get a second "season" of 20 more issues or something, but it's looking like it's probably over.

The duology of Descender and Ascender also just wrapped up, if you like your sci-fi with a dash of fantasy. And Birthright, if you like fantasy with a dark twist. Once and Future is also a fairly good twist on the Arthur myths. Chu's just started up again, if you like more of a heisty urban fantasy book. Barbaric is showing promise, if you want something fun but bloody. Usagi Yojimbo's always worth a read, if you like samurai stories. I'd recommend those.

And...stuff is happening in the Power Rangers books. I guess that mostly belongs in the Power Rangers thread, but I'll mention that things are definitely getting interesting. And...yeah, you need to be reading both Mighty Morphin and Power Rangers to follow everything going on.

Hickman's leaving the X-Men books. And a good chunk of the mainstay books might be ending pretty soon, like Marauders and Hellions. I can't help but feel like I've wasted my time with those. Especially since Hickman had a second and third act planned but...the other writers wanted to stay put in act one since that was pretty popular.
So, instead, we're going to get a weekly X-Men book in January. And...I don't know. I"m interested but I'm not. I've been following SO MANY X-Men books lately, maybe I'm just burnt out. The setting is interesting, but...none of the other writers are really that great to me. I kind of want to know how they eventually roll all this back now, but I'm not sure if I care enough to follow everything anymore.

And yeah, Defenders has been fun. It feels like Al Ewing is in his "Contest of Champions" fun team-up book mode on this one. The Black Cat book is also a fun book that's worth checking out.

Wonder Girl is a surprising comic that I recommend. I actually would recommend starting with the Future State stuff, as it gives you a idea of what her high concept will...eventually be. Basically, she's a shephard for a bunch of newly-resurrected Brazilian gods that are taking the place of the Greek gods now that someone else has the title of Wonder Woman. I'm actually kind of looking forward to learning more about a mythology that I have NO knowledge of whatsoever. And the Future State Superman and Wonder Woman book is a lot of fun, featuring a race between the Brazilian sun god and Solaris the Tyrant Sun. Plus, the book's just got some really nice art.

Superman and the Authority kind of surprised me by how much I'm liking it. I didn't expect Superman and Manchester Black to end up being such a fun buddy team. It's not quite up to his All-Star Superman best, but it's showing a lot of promise, I think. I wasn't the biggest fan of Grant Morrison's Green Lantern run, mostly because I think it leaned a little TOO heavily into satire, but this book seems to have a bit more heart to it. I'm...going to guess it's planned to be a series of mini-series, since the team isn't even together yet in part 3 of this 4 part mini-series. We will...see...how that pans out *looks over at Morrison's poor, abandoned Seaguy*

And DC's Infinite Frontier just ended. So....spoilers and thoughts below.
I'm not exactly sure what it is, but something about this event just felt empty to me. And maybe it's because there doesn't seem to be much of a metaphor or deeper meaning to this event. It just felt like the writer was working with the toys other writers created. And...that's probably overdue, frankly. Tying a lot of these ideas together and actually using them is probably somewhat overdue. But...when it just leads to another comic (Justice League Incarnate) which will just lead to another event which will probably lead to 3 more events....it just feels a little stale. I should be excited for Darkseid, Eclipso, the Upside-Down Man (from Justice League Dark), The Empty Hand and the Gentry (from Multiversity), and Nekron (from Green Lantern) all working to control the Great Darkness (which...I don't believe has ever actually been given much of a backstory now that I think about it, it's just usually used to summon shadow armies during Crisises). But...it feels a little hollow to me.

It doesn't help that this "Ultimate" Darkseid plot really doesn't work, when you have DCAU Darkseid right there over in Justice League Infinity. I know Infinity is probably supposed to be taking place a few mutliversal reboots ago, but still, it kind of harms the meta-narrative. And I just didn't like how Roy Harper kind of just stopped being a Black Lantern, speed force radiation or not.

And now it seems like we're heading towards Flashpoint 2 (Electric Boogaloo). It's kind of interesting that they seem to be using a Flash's ability to change time (as seen in Flashpoint) and use that ability to seemingly remake the old pre-Crisis Multiverse. I wonder if that's going to lead to the Flashes creating entirely new worlds themselves, whenever they get around to this omniverse stuff.

And maybe the omniverse stuff is the problem. What does that actually mean? I mean is this just going to all end with Darkseid starting Space Jam 3? Is that the endgame here? Is Darkseid gonna dunk on...some basketball guy? (I don't know sports)

...Yeah, I had a lot saved up that I wanted to talk about. I just wanted to see how long it would take to get someone else to start the thread. :p

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I'm gonna be sad to see Marauders go. I particularly like Pirate Red Queen Kate. But honestly it does feel like it's been held back with recent events too much lately. But I do feel the overall changes to the X-men were a tad too ambitious for everyone to fall in line for. I like the Krakoan nation, but having just about every mutant falling in line like Apocalypse and Sinister never felt like things would last.... but to be fair they showed that in advance didn't they. And that's kind of the problem they wrote themselves into at the start with. With the HoX/PoX miniseries basically showing us the futures of how things will go the only way to subvert it would be to completely screw with the timeline some more.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
My assumption was always that Hickman planned for this timeline to go up in flames in whatever disaster Moira's big secret plan turned into (she had to have one, hence her not allowing people who could see the future)

HoXPoX established that this was her last life/timeline UNLESS she did something exactly right at the end in which case she would get one more. My guess has been she blows this one, but in a way that gets her one last go (that last life is a chekov's gun if ever there was one) and we end with that new timeline somehow fixing things enough for there to be at least open hope for the future and probably reset the status quo of the X-men enough to let the next writer play with the classic toys however they choose.

-ZacWilliam, I'm curious what percentage of Hickman's grand plan the books realized...

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Man, I fell off the XBooks so quickly after HoXPoX. Felt like stuff was just back at status quo with a new plant backdrop. Glad I didnt stick with it seeing as how it seems Hickman's plans got gutted.

Maruten

Citizen
I'm still enjoying all the X-books, but what a crazy failure on Marvel's part that they couldn't keep Hickman around to tell the rest of that story. It does threaten one's investment. Keeping act one as the status quo for any great period is not terribly appealing. I really wanted to know where this was supposed to go. Particularly Moira, there must be a lot more to Hickman's plans for her,

Only caught up on Immortal Hulk recently but it's great - as is everything Ewing does. He's even got me reading GOTG, and while I love a lot of Marvel's cosmic stuff, post-movie (ie movie-flavoured) Guardians is not always terribly interesting to me.

Hearing ridiculous things about King in Black got me checking out Donny Cates' Venom which I enjoyed a lot. Never been a Venom fan but I sure am now. Like Ewing, Cates in all over the place at Marvel the last few years.

Die has been spectacular, and the game is really interesting. I hope once the book is done the RPG is published nicely.

I'm not reading much outside of Marvel at the moment I guess. A bit of manga here and there. I'm not even up to date on the TF books right now.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Here's a interview with Hickman about him leaving the X-books. He goes into a few things that didn't happen and his stance on not being able to play out his 3-act story.

Fair warning, there's a few preview pages at the end for Inferno. And they mention a few things from the January solicitations. So, might want to be careful of spoilers, if you aren't caught up on ALL the X-Men books.
I'm not sure a Children of the Vault book would have sold, honestly. And it feels like some Imperial Guard stuff could have been fit into New Mutants or SWORD or something (...if SWORD didn't get cancelled, I suppose). Sabertooth coming back should have some interesting repercussions. Odd how he couldn't use Rogue for Inferno, though. I wonder what that's about.

It basically just sounds like the plot wasn't able to move as quickly as he wanted it to. Sounds like he just had other stories he wanted to tell, and accommodating ALL these new books was just taking up too much of his time.

I guess it sounds like the X-team has his notes. So they COULD continue his story. I...tend to doubt it, though.
Although...y'know...X-Men Legends is a comic that exists. In theory, they COULD let Hickman tell HIS version of the story, even if it is a what-if take, on the side, years later. They let Claremont do something similar with X-Men Forever and New Mutants Forever...please Marvel?

Last edited:

Maruten

Citizen
X-Men Legends IS a book that exists! It has "swift cancellation" written all over it, but fingers crossed.

I won't be buying every arc but they sure got me this week with Larry Hama Wolverine and Jubilee.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I still have some Remains of an X-men special they did around the time of the first movie. Probably some other Wizards, Toyfare, and InQuest scattered about too. They are definitely a Time Capsule.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I’ve been grabbing the X-men milestone collections lately. Pretty much large collections of events including just about every tie in. It’s actually let me read a lot of events fully as I’ve never gotten to before like OZT and Fatal Attractions or for the first time with older events like Inferno, Mutant Massacre. Some I missed out on too like Necrosha and Messiah War. It’s been cool actually reading the full events rather than the synopsis. But god it’s making me want Jim Lee back at Marvel on art duties.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm not sure if this is okay for this thread, or if I should be making my own, but...

Does anyone know what the font(s) used in the logo here are?

Hangman's Pal John Silver.jpg

I told someone I'd try to make a parody cover based on this, and I want to make sure I get it right. I tried using a font identifier, but nothing it brought back seemed right.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'm going to point you over to this other forum, because they seem to know what they're talking about more than I do, anyway.

I hope that helps. I do not know fonts.

Last edited:

LiamA

Citizen
Thinking about: Greatest Hits. It's about a British superhero time in the style of the Beatles. It's pretty good. Shame it hasn't been collected into a graphic novel yet.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
While I get what the title is going for, Greatest Hits is probably not the best title idea. It's going to bring up more ideas for collection albums than a superhero comic. Not to mention harder than hell to search for online without knowing more than the title... OK, well it was the first thing that popped up when I added comic in, but you get the point.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm going to point you over to this other forum, because they seem to know what they're talking about more than I do, anyway.

I hope that helps. I do not know fonts.
Dang. Unfortunately, that didn't cover the logos or anything, just the one font at the very top above them.

Top Bottom