Now eventually you are going to have a Comic Book thread on this Comic Book forum, right?

ATTENTION: If you had an account that was created before September 1st 2021 you will need to re-create your account again. We apologize for this inconvenience. This should not happen again.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Here's another chapter in the "Is IDW going under?" saga. They just lost Usagi Yojimbo.

Usagi is going back to Dark Horse where Stan Sakai is heading his own imprint. I'm not sure what the story is here. First he leaves DH for IDW, now he's going back to DH again. Not sure if different people are offering him tempting deals, if Stan's just indecisive, or if what looked like a great deal with IDW really wasn't that great.

Either way, this is another loss for IDW. They still have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sonic the Hedgehog, Godzilla, My Little Pony, and Star Trek. So, they're still not too bad off. But, this is a worrying sign.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I bought the first graphic novel they put out but I dont recall ever seeing a second.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
They've been putting out collections fairly steadily, I think. IDW has even gone back and recolored a few of his older stories (which might be part of the deal he made with IDW in the first place, maybe?). I think Stan's just...massively slowed down in recent years. Understandable, since age comes for us all.

They've already put out: The Hidden, Homecoming, and Tengu War. And in October they'll put out Crossroads, and in February they'll put out Green Dragon. That'll probably be the end of it.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I've seen the first season/half. It...was fine. There are times you can tell the show has been in production in one form or another since the 90s, though. Some of the more toyetic moments stand out a bit. Honestly, it might have been more memorable if it went harder on that feeling.

And it doesn't go into Japanese culture as deeply as the comic does. Which is a same, because that's one of it's strengths. It's a okay show, but nothing it does really stands out. It's just okay on all fronts.

Karasu Tengu has a cool design, though.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
The spider bad guy? He's creeeeEEEEeeeepy!

The world is generally likeable actually. The gang who snaps their fingers are kinda funny. The mayor is a jerk but also kinda ok. Even the cats.

They sorta neutered future Gen tho. He became a decent sort, instead of a schemer or so. And the surprise extra on him? I don't know if that's canon.

Is the trickster fox companion of theirs a show character only? Or part of comic canon?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I was actually talking about this character:
AAAAQZVZkRxVf1c2bqS-ccbmt-uKao1tullCF32Dvu63GNqy5DAzjFBKSRfaJ4_K0Xuywsfzle-8hEqSSlAu_yt9Q6YvL2kI073VkpdMFPty91P109QayfuMuG858mXxHZCKZlFKlSFikywWFIIgZuMJUgpT.jpg

As for the other points:
The different gangs being substitutes for the different ninja clans was a interesting workaround. They're not as cool as in the comics, being mostly comic relief, but it wasn't a bad idea on paper.

If you mean Gen's sister, then, no. Comic Gen doesn't have a sister. And, yeah, Comic Gen is more greedy and clever than Future Gen.

All three of the side characters are based on characters in the comics...VERY broadly.

Kitsune in the comics is basically a happy go lucky thief and swindler with a child she's "adopted" and who she's training to also be a thief. They come and go in different arcs of the story.

And Chizu isn't quite so..."fluffy" in the comics. None of the cat-girls are. It was a cute gag when they first revealed it in the show, but I'll admit, they kind of look out of place.

They might have already shown up in the second season, but I'm waiting for Sasuke the Demon Queller and Inspector Ishida analogues to show up at some point in the show. Not to mention Jei.

Mind...I don't know how much life this show is going to have, but I'd like them to show up.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I forgot the names but, argh, Karasu! It means crow! (Right?). I should have realized, haha. Actually, that character was a surprise. Actually, the whole deal with the yokai was a surprise. That was a cool thing for the show.

The yoyo was kinda eh though.

Good that Kitsune is an actual canon character. I was only familiar with Gen and Chizu. I owned the Space Usagi mini and I thiiiiink they killed off Chizu there. Maybe.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yep, Karasu means crow.

The yo-yo is one of those things that makes it feel like a 90s cartoon. Can't have our main characters capable of TOO much violence.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Usagi Yojimbo Senso miniseries. That...kind of explains where a few inspirations for the end of the first season come from, I think. It also works as a non-canon hypothetical ending for Usagi.

Top Bottom