Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
They might as well come pre-equipped with white flags. Luckily they're pretty easy to make.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I think the Swedes are gonna find a few Russian diplomats who accidentally fell out of windows soon.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I agree with the sentiment that diplomacy must resume.

Diplomacy cannot resume until russia has had a change in management: because as it stands russia cannot be trusted to negotiate in good faith or abide by any terms laid down, even the ones they put forth. The slaughter continues until putin decides the war is over and no else.

Don't know why british politicos are in favour of supporting fascism.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
There's probably a lot of governments (of various sizes and responsibilities.) that fall under such a statement.

Ungnome

Citizen
Heck, most governments. Problem with the Putin regime isn't that they go back on their word, it's that they plan on going back on their word before they even make an offer.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
But does it really mean anything? Is Putin going to travel anywhere where said warrant would be enforced?
Don't get me wrong, I think this is necessary, but without a viable path to get him, a warrant is just a useless piece of paper.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
But does it really mean anything? Is Putin going to travel anywhere where said warrant would be enforced?
Don't get me wrong, I think this is necessary, but without a viable path to get him, a warrant is just a useless piece of paper.
It is useful as it's an official declaration of his crimes and it officially limits his international travel to only countries that won't officially recognise the warrant.

...If Putin were to leave Russia, Putin “would be arrested and surrendered to ICC,” he said. “World leaders will think twice before shaking his hand or sitting with Putin at the negotiating table. It’s another clear signal to the world that the Russian regime is criminal.”

Ukraine is not a member of the court, but it has granted the ICC jurisdiction over its territory and ICC prosecutor Karim Khan has visited four times since opening an investigation a year ago.

The U.S. does not recognize the court’s jurisdiction and Moscow formally withdrew its signature from the founding statute of the ICC in November 2016, a day after the court published a report classifying its annexation of Crimea as an occupation.

While it is unlikely that Putin will end up in prison, it further labels the country and its leader as a pariah, said Wayne Jordash, who is leading teams of Ukrainian and international prosecutors and investigators in Ukraine. That will affect Putin’s ability to travel and could hinder Russia diplomatically.

“It now puts pressure on any country, which is a signatory to the ICC, to the Rome Statute, to arrest him if he ever travels to those countries,” he said. “These are countries which may in the past have been somewhat reserved about criticizing or voting in the General Assembly against Russia’s invasion. So I think this puts a huge amount of pressure on Putin, too.”...

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Actually, there is an INTERNAL chance of him being handed over to the court. If some enterprising russian wants to push a regime change: this is now an option for getting back into good international graces while simultaneously pulling off a "bloodless" coup. They take putin alive, drive his ass in chains to ukraine, and hand him over for trial.

I mean, I also figured one of the oligarchs would have pulled off a 9mm retirement on putin by now as well... at least one can dream.

Ungnome

Citizen
Putin probably plays the oligarchs against each other to help maintain power. He goes, civil war starts and they know it.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
oppressed people and very quickly coming to the point of "nothing to lose", I don't see how they don't end up in a civil war anyway.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
oppressed people and very quickly coming to the point of "nothing to lose", I don't see how they don't end up in a civil war anyway.
Russia's economy isn't as bad as some have said. Internally, it's quite stable and many people there only have state media as their primary information source. Many of those who've protested against the war (or, for various reasons, been opposed to it) have either fled, been imprisoned, killed or forced into silence. As such, it seems only a handful of people really dare to speak out.

Here's the BBC's report on Putin's arrest warrant:

-

Top Bottom