Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
He'd only be desperate enough to use nukes when he no longer has enough control of the command chain to actually use them. He's in this for legacy, and thankfully for the rest of us: he was stupid enough to believe his own propaganda and had no way to get the old band back together.

Edit: I mean, still horrible for ukraine and the russian CITIZENS whom are being lied to, torture, enslaved and killed, but at least the means for putin to extend the war to the rest of the world realistically does not exist.

Ironbite4

Citizen
There's also the fact that nobody in the world recognizes this annexation and he doesn't have the troops to maintain the new border.

Ironbite-so I don't think this is gonna stick like Crimeria did.

Nevermore

Citizen
I also have to laugh at the recent draft, including the prospect of forced drafting citizens of the newly-annexted regions.

Like, if you force your citizens to fight your silly war against their will, how do you not expect them to either
a) surrender,
b) desert or
c) kill their superior officers and then defect
at the first opportunity?

Unless Putin has somehow mastered mind control or is planning on keeping all his troops' loved ones hostage in over-the-top supervillain style, I just don't see a scenario where his newly added troops are going to put much effort into fighting for his cause.

The only even remotely viable option would be to have them all march in front of the loyal troops and act as human shields. Which is still an absurdly impractical idea.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Personally if I were living in Russia right now and they tried to call me up for the draft, I wouldn't just take off for the border, I'd take off for Ukraine in particular and try to see if their army would take me.

Then again, if I were living in Russia, I'd have probably done that already.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
The question is, how desperate is Putin, and can he get so desperate that he's willing to take the whole world with him?

Speaking personally, I'm tired of backing down from bullies simply because they have a gun pressed up against the temple of the world.
They live here too.
Go ahead and pull the trigger. We'll die together.

I'm just tired of it all at this point. Putin needs to suffer an "accident" like so many around him are.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Speaking personally, I'm tired of backing down from bullies simply because they have a gun pressed up against the temple of the world.
They live here too.
Go ahead and pull the trigger. We'll die together.

I'm just tired of it all at this point. Putin needs to suffer an "accident" like so many around him are.

7QDAf57.png

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Me Five Years Ago:

"We really have to be better than our opponents here guys. Think of the optics. I don't much care for any of this but..."

Me Now:

"The sons of bitches have taken the outer walls! Bring up the reserves! Tell the archers to loose and get that burning pitch ready!"

NovaSaber

Citizen
Well, the real problem is people being bad at telling the difference between what they can and can't change, and deliberately miscategorizing to defend inaction or argue against accountability.

Serenity is for accepting things that are beyond anyone's control; if somebody else caused it, it doesn't fall into the category of things you shouldn't try to change (for that reason, anyway).

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
"Low-yield" here meaning, I presume, an old-fashioned fission bomb. The kind that produces just as much fallout as the most powerful fusion bombs and doesn't even have the decency to spread it out over a massive blast radius. Literally more people would die slowly and painfully from radiation poisoning than would die from the blast.

Anonymous X

Citizen
The world economy as we know it would implode if Putin used but one ‘tactical’ nuke in Ukraine, and it never escalated further. All the economic disruption caused since February would be nothing compared to the stock markets around the world crashing simultaneously… Then there’s environmental cost and lives ended by detonation and fallout.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Never mind the almost immediate mobilization by nato, the EU, the UN. Almost everyone else in the world.

More to the point: Putin literally can't. He WANTS the ukraine, so he won't nuke what he wants. He won't nuke himself, and nuking anyone else would immediately bring in that party to the war, probably parties as everyone has allies to call for a gunfight.

It's an empty threat because the second he actually does nuke someone, russia falls and will never have the chance to rise again.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
There's a reason that nuclear warfare is also called mutually assured destruction. Nobody will win and anyone with half a brain knows it. Even Dubya shot down the idea after 9/11, and we all know he's no mental paragon.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Hearing reports Putin's sent a nuclear convoy in the direction of Ukraine.
Nothing on the AP yet so take with a heavy grain of salt.

This is desperation on his part. He wanted his referendums and go to the peace table. Needs SOMETHING to show back home for all of this. But Ukraine's going hard and fast and reclaiming it. Now, months after he himself shut down peace talks (Because Ukrainian negotiators were being flown in by Poland and thus could not be kidnapped/intimidated), he's gonna use the biggest stick he has left to try to force Ukraine to the peace table.

Excuse me. I misspoke. He's going to use the biggest stick he has left to try to force the rest of the world to force Ukraine to the peace table (Looking at you Pope).

Also Elon Musk, the Dollar Tree Justin Hammer that he is, is distracting from the fact Tesla lost 9% today after missing sales goals by publicly shoving his foot in his mouth on Twitter by "suggesting" peace in the region ends with Putin keeping what was stolen and Ukraine remains "neutral".

Top Bottom