Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Russia somehow got Scandinavia to unify against them. Good job Putin, you've done gone and pissed off the descendants of the Vikings.

Not just the Vikings. I've been watching in awe as Poland has well and truly aggroed. Like, hell yes. Poland sees History repeat and are just like "Ah naw. Naw naw naw. Not this time."

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yup. Russia has essentially lost the entire Baltic region IF they decide to increase hostilities, they've pretty much lost access to the Baltic Sea. Don't think their ports in St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad would last long if a full anti-Russo war broke out. Even if those hold out, the Danish Straits can be easily blockaded, leaving Russia with just two ports that can easily access the Atlantic Ocean. Putin gambled and lost. I think he knows it, if he's not suffering from dementia. It's just his pride won't let him admit it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I'd wager on how long until putin's 9mm retirement happened: but frankly, that's going to be boring.

Let's wager instead on how long until a reasonable, progressive government takes over: cause the hole left by putin when he "leaves" will only suck up another tyrant, and this one might actually be smart enough to fake being nice to restore the economy to the corrupt but profitable shambles it was before the war.

Ungnome

Citizen
The Russian government has been corrupt since it's inception. Putin took advantage of that fact to get into power in the first place, so I won't hold my breath.

Anonymous X

Citizen
0018B340-BEAC-49EA-ACF8-32E28EF9CF3B.png
This is the makeup of the Russian parliament (State Duma). Dark blue is Putin’s party. Lighter blue is the overly fascist LDPR. Yellow is the fake “centre left” party which backs Putin’s policies and presidency. Red is the Communist party, which is ultranationalist and reactionary. Unfortunately, the more reasonable political forces either got banned, or the Russian government consider too pathetic to bother banning (eg Yabloko).

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The GOP is no less imperialistic than russia is. The second THAT happens in the US, is the second that graphic becomes moot because it'll become the american imperium.

Nevermore

Citizen
I can't help but feel like Putin's increasingly unhinged rhetoric (which is bordering on "anyone who so much as dares mention the name of Ukraine instead of calling it 'Southwest Russia' is going to feel my unfathomable raaaage" territory) sounds more and more like desperation ("why won't anyone respect me?!?"). Someone give him a BJ already so he feels like a Maaaaaaaan again.

Cyoti

Citizen
Man that's one depressing image. Putin can do whatever he wants.

It gets worse.

All public media organs are controlled by the Kremlin and the major channels like Russia-1 are the equivalent of "Foxnews on steroids". Any independent media have been labelled as foreign agents due to all media funding within Russia being tied to the Kremlin. The major social media platforms (VK/Livejournal) have been taken over by the Kremlin and Kremlin allies.

Governors of the administrative districts (oblasts) are almost all controlled by UR with token spots to the Communists and the so-called "Liberals". Mayoral elections have all been slowly abolished to root out potential sources of opposition (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-mayor-scraps-mayoral-elections-idUSKCN1HA1C4).

The Russian Federation has basically been couped by the remnants of the KGB now calling themselves the FSB. The military have the equivalent of FSB commissars at all levels to prevent a military uprising. The FSB is in bed with organized crime while also shaking down businesses and individuals for "protection".

Any Russian that wanted to change the system either has died, is in prison, gone underground or left the country.

Ungnome

Citizen
Russia is the real life equivalent of the Cardassian Union essentially.

Ungnome

Citizen
Adolf Hitler vehemently denied having Jewish ancestry, Zelensky proudly declares his heritage, a rather key difference, methinks. Russia is getting desperate trying to paint the Ukrainian government as a bunch of neonazis.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
They have never used Russian airbases.

Russia AND Ukraine are both nightmarishly antisemitic societies, and we can see the widespread delusions and propaganda of the Soviet Union still at work in both Lavrov's commentary and also some of Zelensky's past speeches ("Israel, come rescue Ukraine like Ukraine rescued the Jews"). That simply cannot be a consideration when we see one country start a war of aggression and mass murder against another. It's the same as when Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Nevermore

Citizen
A young Russian who has left the country due to his opposition against the war (pay attention to the white-blue-white flag in the background, which is used by those Russians who oppose Putin's regime) ponders on whether he could have been one of the soldiers that participated in the Bucha massacre, had history taken a slightly different course.

Top Bottom