Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
My package arrived from BBTS today.

C911A778-E99A-4985-8BC5-C7E5F5DBB7F4.jpeg

I don't have many Splinter toys (3 including this one). So Splinter as Van Helsing looked too awesome to pass up.
I initially misread that as "Van Halen" and was royally confused for about half a second.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Armageddon Game 4
This was actually supposed to come out last month. So I would definitely suggest reading this before TMNT 136. There's really only one continuity hitch I can see by reading it out of order, and not a major one at that. Still, given the chance, it's better to read this first.

I'm not much for doing full synopsis or big spoilers , so I'll just say Dark Leo is awesome and...you find out where the imposter turtles come from.

TMNT 136
Seri starts to come into her own. This is also a good showing of why I love IDW Donny where as before IDW he always felt like a background character. Krang also meets Ch'Rell. Next issue should be interesting if nothing else.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed by the reveal for the impostor turtles. I was expecting something a little more interesting.

Luckily, the rest of the comic is filled with enough stuff happening that it doesn't detract too much from the experience. This event is oddly crammed full of tons of "new" stuff for this universe.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed by the reveal for the impostor turtles. I was expecting something a little more interesting.

Luckily, the rest of the comic is filled with enough stuff happening that it doesn't detract too much from the experience. This event is oddly crammed full of tons of "new" stuff for this universe.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for a group of actual evil turtles (clones, alt reality, whatever) that would stick around after everything was done. Still, like you said, with everything else going on, it's not a huge detractor.

Splinter Van Helsing looks great!

Also, any thoughts on the designs for Mutant Mayhem? Donnie looks like he's 10.
View attachment 11541

Huh! Of course Donny has the stereotypical geeky glasses. Why wouldn't he? Still, I like the designs better than Rise. And it also has a few big names already attached. Hey, I survived Bay Turtles. Hell, I survived Rise! Hell, hell... I survived the original live action TMNT 3 movie. I'm sure I'll survive this.

I did not survive Coming Out of Their Shells though. Noped right out of there after the first song.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Huh, is this the first time we have a Donnie with glasses? Maybe this kid isn't old enough for laser eye surgery or hasn't made up his own technology to fix it.

And, heeeeeeey, Rise Donnie with his goggles is awesome! First time where his attitude shows through first instead of nerdiness. Hehe

Caldwin

Citizen
Nothing wrong with it. Just stereotypical nerd glasses. We've seen him wear goggles a few times before but I think this is the first time we've seen him wearing glasses.

I would like to know who his eye doctor is. Are mutants known about and he just doesn't make anything of it? Is he one of the select few who know about the turtles like April and Casey? Is it April? Why am I thinking so much about the glasses?

Caldwin

Citizen
Some of you might remember this from page 39:

8F6515AC-970F-44AE-9AA4-959FB155D9CB.jpeg

Now as much as I love having a rare chase variant, I also wanted something I wouldn't feel guilty for taking out of the box. So I ordered another Playmates LR from Amazon. I got the colored one this time!

F7CC6179-14E3-4476-8DB6-4D43A4CCAFCD.jpeg

Here's a side-by-side:

BD3C2021-3D0E-49E7-89B3-DB0135464694.jpeg

Back:

29E4B041-9A55-4D5A-8F8A-459526C13BE4.jpeg

Playmates turtle:

809BAB0D-3FED-4BAF-9790-76E83A5A4DF5.jpeg

Accessories:

BB1E640E-AC45-4AF0-ABE8-E4B55738E539.jpeg

NECA figure:

9561E2D3-060E-4093-A6FB-2A03680D412A.jpeg

Accessories:

0931E9FF-BC81-4039-ADDA-B6A4FF1591D6.jpeg

Side-by-side

3A549B5F-9336-4467-AD3A-2A8628F1E971.jpeg

Back:

E52FE13C-B3AF-44C2-AC5C-D1EC814C9BB9.jpeg

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly, I think I prefer the look of the chase playmaters one. The regular color one just doesn't grab me much and the NECA version is a more accurate look.

Caldwin

Citizen
I can see an argument for either Chase Variant or Normal. There's a couple parts where the paint seems a little sloppy on the normal version and there is a charm with black and white. But since the chase variant is more rare, I just couldn't bare to take it out of the box.

NECA version is definitely the better one overall hands down.

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, keeping it spoiler free:

In the past, Michelangelo's story has some action, but not much suspense since you know he has to live until the events of the original Last Ronan story. Still, it's called the Lost Years, so what do you expect? It's still interesting seeing what was going through Mikey's mind at the time.

Present day, we learn the new Turtles' names, but it's probably going to take a while to remember them. Not much happens here, but it's a start.

Caldwin

Citizen
View attachment 9884

This is out today. The art was good (maybe a little too good for representing an 80's cartoon but I ain't complaining). They threw in just about every villain they could think of. But it makes sense in the context of the story and I rather enjoyed it. The humor overall was much less whacky than the cartoon, but thank goodness for that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for a comic based on the old show, it is reminiscent of the show but also quite different. But all the ways in which it's different it's better off for being different.

Highly recommend.

So, funny thing...I see I put "highly recommend" on my review of the first issue but never kept up with it. Well, slow day at work today so I decided to get caught up. I also decided to subscribe.

I actually like it. It's also very episodic so you don't have to worry about what all came before.

Also...
0F538468-B477-45BB-8F60-E45BF056FA85.jpeg

Transformers cameo!

Caldwin

Citizen
Armageddon Game Alliance 4 is out today. It's a Donatello/Venus centered issue with a peak at a(nother) dark future.

It's nice seeing Venus here. Mostly what we've seen from her is stuff happening to her, not much really about who she is. This is a start.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Are you ready for another comic book crossover?

Here's a hint...
tmnt-vs-street-fighter-01.jpg

Yup, the Heroes in a Half-Shell are facing off against the World Warriors!

And since Jennika's here, it might be "canon" to the IDW run.

And now I'm wondering if we'll get TMNT DLC for Street Fighter 6 down the line. Crazier things have happened.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
That sounds awesome. And having Jennika in it, possibly making it cannon to IDW continuity is just icing on the cake. And if you're right about poss TMNT DLC, 🤯

Caldwin

Citizen
A couple weeks ago I saw the storage dhell Turtles at Target but didn't have the money to buy them. Then when I did have the money I could no longer find them.

Yesterday I found this.

3BF14E79-B11C-4188-9129-B7328146885D.jpeg

Well, if I could only find one of them, I'm glad it was Raph.

EA86FC96-DA14-4E1B-8C89-1EC0EDC9805C.jpeg

Outside the plastic.

1024BF5D-502A-4F0F-8457-EC3008972A07.jpeg

Alongside the vintage storage shell Donny I've had since I was a kid.

EDBEE9C1-D7BA-4935-AB58-1577960B8756.jpeg

Top Bottom