Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Nice! And the Switch versions no less. I have both PS5 and Switch versions of both. I much prefer the Switch.

Here's my get for today.

5178C7A6-D61C-42C8-8A39-119122DE7E11.jpeg

I like Stranger Things, but I really mostly got it for Leo though. I absolutely love Mirage Turtle colors.

1F79E7AE-5059-4375-ACE3-E33F6199F9C4.jpeg

Out of the box.

F9124B80-368B-4413-A5B6-836496431C40.jpeg

Eleven crushes the Shredder's throat while Leo slice and dices the demogorgon.

Caldwin

Citizen
Yeah, it's playmates. So it's not exactly NECA quality. They didn't even bother giving Leo scabbards for his swords. His left hand is also a bit too open to properly hold the sword.

Still, at least an attempt was made. That's...something.

Shadewing

Citizen
Thought that waffle shuriken is kinda amazing, at least in concept. like it's the perfect crossover melding. since we're used to seeing like pizza-based weapons occasionally.

Caldwin

Citizen
Armageddon Game: The Alliance 1 came out yesterday. It's pretty Karai-centric. I love the art.

TMNT 134 also came out yesterday. The art actually seems pretty decent. They must've gotten a different artist (thank goodness). There was actually some very noticeable pointalism in the shading areas. That may rub some people the wrong way, but all I can say is thank goodness Pablo isn't in the artist chair anymore.

There was a mention of Alopex but no appearance.

Prediction time:
Mutant Town will no longer exist after Armageddon War. Whether humans like it or not, mutants won't allow themselves to be imprisoned behind a wall for much longer. By the same token, if Seri can escape Barlow island and breathe the normal Earth air, Triceratons as a whole may be able to find a way out. The face of the world is going to change.

Also, Alopex is gone but not forgotten. She's been name dropped since her departure, keeping her existence in the minds of readers. I would not be surprised if she's making things happen behind the scenes and at some point she'll be back with a final page splash "big damn hero" moment.

Shadewing

Citizen
Also, Alopex is gone but not forgotten. She's been name dropped since her departure, keeping her existence in the minds of readers. I would not be surprised if she's making things happen behind the scenes and at some point she'll be back with a final page splash "big damn hero" moment.

Possibly, but still also supports my theory of her being the least likely to make it out of this alive.

Caldwin

Citizen
So, tell me if this internal monologue happens to any of the rest of you.

*see something on shelf*

Oh, I want that. Lets get it.

No! It's too expensive for what you get. You don't need any of that.

*couple weeks later, see it again*

C'mon! Pleeeeease? I want it!

Why? What's in that box that's worth it? Just leave it there.

*couple weeks later*

Hey, it's still on the shel...

NO!

*couple weeks later*

Still there. It's still looking at me!

Oh fine! We'll get it. Just shut the hell up already.

Well, in that spirit...

IMG_2146.JPG

Hey, just because I like TMNT doesn't mean I have to buy everything with its name on it. All I want is that Shredder toy. Why am I buying the rest of that?

IMG_2147.JPG

Its a refridgerator magnet. I really don't need this It's just going to go into a storage box.

IMG_2148.JPG

Oh, gee! Another key chain. You know how many keychains I have. It's like the ultimate free junk that's given away every time I turn around. I have keychains for shit I don't even know what the hell it's about anymore. And I keep running into keychains I never knew I ever had!

IMG_2149.JPG

Now this might actually be cool depending on how much it shrinks. Problem is, it's an XL, I'm really XXL. XL can range from "doesn't really fit but I can make it work" to "Nope, just can't even." I'll just have to see how much it shrinks after the first wash. It does look nice though, I'll give it that.

IMG_2150.JPG

Cute and all, but I'm really not a beanie type person.

IMG_2151.JPG

Now this is what I bought the box for. There's just something about a new Shredder toy.

IMG_2152.JPG

It was rather light in the accessories department, which is actually kinda unusual for NECA. It just have those interchangeable hands and that's it. Still, I love how this looks. It's probably my new favorite 80's style Shredder toy.

wentwood

Citizen
Hi guys. I'm watching TMNT 1987 , 2003 and 2012 on DVD. That being the case any place to finish 2018 Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Other than Paramount+? Not full on DVD yet and the Blu ray might not be lagit.

Caldwin

Citizen
I bought mine digitally from Amazon. Not sure where/if you can get all of it physically though. The movie you can only watch on Netflix at the moment. There is no place to buy it yet.

wentwood

Citizen
iTunes has the entire 2012 TMNT series on sale for $20!
I bought the single DVDs. TMNT G II came in. I'm catching the series up off wi fi. Once I finish both 2003 and 2012 I will stream Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Amazon. My 03 set is so I don't miss any episodes. I just started 2003 from Fox Box. If an official set for 03 is released at some point I plan to get it. I finished the 1987 series on DVD.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
Scuse the extra post but I wanted to put up my thoughts on the franchise over all.

I thought it was pretty solid over all. Saw all 10 series on DVD. Admittedly I felt that they could have done the games a bit closer to what was in the arcade. As for the episodes I liked it as a whole but it was hit or miss in spots. They shouldn't have made all those in series puns. That was a bit much.

Currently watching this generation on DVD. Place holder set while I wait for an official release.

As for the series I like it so far. I had seen a ton on Netflix DVD. This run will pick up what got missed. It feels like a few gaps had been filled in with the TMNT story so if anything else you get a more full tale with this version.

Watched up to the Black Hole Generator Saga on Hulu and after I rewatch that finish up the 2012 run. As for the plot I felt they got carried away with mutating everybody in NYC into who knows what. That was rediculous. The Kraang story aspect was decent but could have gone better. Unlike 1987 they spent more time in Dimension X.

2018 - Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

This had a combined Ben 10 / Teen Titans feel to it. Teen Titans due to all the goofiness in this series. As for the plot this one is also solid. I would rather the Turtles were the way we always knew them. Leo spent a lot of his time being like Mike in this series which screwed it up some for me. Need to see the rest of this run soon.

Caldwin

Citizen
I already rated all the series. But I won't make you search through 38 pages for it...

Okay, understand, this is how I rate these things right now. As me tomorrow, the order might be different. Also, I type this before I’ve actually rated these. So it’s actually possible something may get a higher score yet still be lower on the list. We’ll see. I don’t see this as a contradiction because it is possible to objectively see some flaws in something but still emotionally find them more endearing than the objectively better thing.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990 (live action Movie) - S
This was back when everything I knew about TMNT was still the Fred Wolf cartoon. Well…I honestly forget what came first, this movie or my first Mirage comic. I honestly forget. But I do think this probably came first because I was so shocked when Raphel said “damn,” Shredder was competent and boy oh boy did they go in for the drama. It also introduced me to a cool Casey Jones (instead of the Fred Wolf buffoon). It wasn’t as bloody and gritty as the Mirage comics, but it was certainly more serious than Fred Wolf. It was the perfect combo. I still love it to this day.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (IDW Comics) - S
Okay, there are some weaknesses here. Like most comics these days, it’s a very decompressed way of story telling. I’ve never been a fan of these type of storytelling just because you’re paying more and more for comics and getting less and less story. Also, the art over the past few issues has been…not good. The story telling, decompression notwithstanding, is tight as ever. But geeze, that art!

On the good side, it’s included just about every TMNT character you could want: Karai, Rocksteady/Bebop, Jagwar, Alopex (which is really as close as they can get to Ninjara given the copyright confusion). Even characters that are typically not thought of very favorably *coughVenuscouch* are actually being done really well here. It’s the ultimate collection of everything TMNT ever was.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Mirage Comics) - S
Here I’m really conflicted. I like the early issues. The first issue is classic. Some of the Tales issues (I Monster, the ones with Leatherhead), the ones where they went into space, Leonardo one-shot and its continuation in issue 10, Return to New York. It has so many classic story lines. Read them in color. Read them in black and white. These stories are just so good.

The thing is, dang it gets rather depressing. Like, yes, I know the series continued after City at War, but it was the start of the guest writers era and pretty much the end of the Eastman and Laird era…to the point that any collections and reissues stop right here. And it feels like such a sad way to end it. Casey now has a child and was married. This puts a bit of a “what now” strain on his and April’s relationship. Donny and Splinter are staying in Northhampton while the others are going back to New York, splitting the family. It just feels like such a down way to end the reign.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 (series) - A+
Still a kids show, but they kept so close to the Mirage roots. It had to do some softening up of the stories in order to make it past the network. But they were able to keep in so much.

Negatives…I don’t know. It’s debateable. But making the Shredder an Utrom…I just don’t know. As close as the series kept to its Mirage roots, this was a drastic departure. Also, the less said about Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers, the better.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 (series) S
This series just blew my freaking mind. I had a couple times trying to get into this without sucess. But within the past month when I finally pushed through and an watched the entire series…ho..ly…hell! How many times did I note “how is this a kids show?” I can’t believe some of the things they got away with. The only real negative, if you can call it that, is that it also ended on a downer (if you go by production order). Don’t get me wrong. I love the Mad Max story. But as an ending to the series…I really hate ending things on a down note. But honestly, that’s the only negative. This series, ask me tomorrow and I may just say I like it better than 2003.

TMNT 2007 (CGI Movie) A
Over all, this isn’t the strongest movie. I enjoy it, but honestly, Patrick Stewart is one of those voice actors that I can never see the character on the screen. I can only ever see Patrick Stewart. That’s kind of a me problem, I admit. But this is my list. Over all, I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn’t great either. But one thing I have to mention that skyrockets the movie in my opinion, Raph vs. Leo on the rooftop in the rain. That fight and the emotion in it was such a powerful punch to the gut. I absolutely loved it. Best fight ever. I’ll watch the entire movie just for that fight.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - C
Ugh! I hate to give this duo any bit of positive feedback. And look, I know Michael Bay only produced it. He didn’t write or direct it. But he did produce it and it still has his fingerprints all over it. I don’t like Megan Fox. I hate what they did with Casey Jones’ character. Any time you put in fart jokes, you automatically knock down my respect. But…live action Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang…it’s not the worst version of TMNT I’ve ever seen.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secret of the Ooze - C
Freaking parents! How do you have the Turtles and not allow them to use their weapons? The costumes also took a hell of a hit in quality. They recast April, left out Casey. While the first movie had a bit of an issue of having lots of foot soldiers on screen but only a few of them actually fighting…this was so noticable it was painful. The turtles would be surrounded by foot soldiers, but most of them were only standing back and doing action poses. It was painfully obvious even as a kid. And while Tokka and Rahzar have been used quite well since then, at the time it was a severe disapointment that they weren’t Bebop and Rock Steady. Vanilla Ice...okay so the Ninja Rap has become sewn into the very fabric of TMNT. But even at his hight of "popularity," Vanilla Ice was still an easy target for mocking. Soooo...take that for what it's worth.

One thing I will say in support of it, it gave us Super Shredder. And to be honest, it still isn’t the worst thing I’ve ever watched. I can still watch it and not be so disgusted that I have to turn it off. It’s watchable.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (Archie Comics) - D
*sigh* Okay, here’s another one I’m conflicted about. I like that they took the Fred Wolf turtles and took them seriously. Especially for the Archie comics company at the time, they did go dark. Plus, as I’ve already said before, I’m a bit furry for Ninjara.

But for hugs sake! Look, I like the rain forests. I’m all for protecting them. I’m totally for protecting the rain forest. But could you possibly hit us over the head any harder? Is it even possible to drop those anvils any harder? Even by 80’s/90’s standards, this was about as subtle as an atomic bomb in the middle of a library! Hell, the story would (often) come to a dead stop so the writer could preach about the environment and the evils of industry. Just…gah! I can go back and read in moderation…but…gah!

But…I’m furry for Ninjara…so…I think there’s that emotional vs. objective thing that made me put it above the following.

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - C
I think my most repeated phrase for this series was “distilled ADHD.” I just can not take this kind of show. It frazzles my nerves. I will say that there are moments…just…moments…and maybe a couple episodes…that were pretty okay. In fact, the last two episodes as well as the Gold Fish half of its episode would even rate a solid B…+. But over all…I just did not like this series.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Fred Wolf) - C
I liked this series at the time. After all, if not for this series, I wouldn’t be the TMNT fan that I am today. So there will always be a nostalgic respect for this series in my heart.

But let’s be real. I can not go back and watch this series. I’ve honestly tried lately. I wanted to see a few episodes just to see the first appearences of Chrome Dome, Mona Lisa and other characters. But my brain just could not focus on it for long. I was lucky to get through a single episode before I was just unable to focus on it any more. I hurts to rate it this low, but it truly is one of those childhood shows I used to love that going back to it…I just can’t.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 (live action movie) - D-
Okay, again, I know Michael Bay only produced it. I know he didn’t direct or even write it. But it still has his finger prints on it. And I still don’t like Megan Fox, I still don’t like fart jokes, I don’t Shredders design. I also like the idea of design where sometimes less is more…and boy oh boy did they over design…well, everything really, but the turtles specifically. This was just a huge freaking mess!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - F
If you have to have your characters laugh at every single joke to make sure the audience knows that a joke was even made, you have a problem. Remember how I said the costumes took a hit in quality in Secret of the Ooze? This movie makes those look like cutting freaking edge! And freaking wet willeys! It’s not funny. In fact, none of the “jokes” were funny. I want to say it was nice to see Elias Koteas reprise his role as Casey Jones, but dang they did a piss poor job writing him. In fact, they did a piss poor job writing everything and every one. Even the worst of the other versions of TMNT I can usually find SOMETHING positive to say. As much as I loath 2014…the action was…okay…ish. The elevator scene was a moment that happened. But this? I can’t think of anything positive to say about this. Nothing! I watched it once because the BluRay came in a set with the first two movies. But never again. This is just…its so piss poor. Nothing redeeming about it.

wentwood

Citizen
153 episodes left for 2003. Also I need to see Tales Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soon from the 2012 run. I still have yet to see Out Of The Shadows. My set includes Ninja Tribunal and Back To The Sewer. Back To The Sewer has yet to see a US release on DVD. Saw Back To The Sewer on CW. I watched Fast Forward on DVD.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I would rather the Turtles were the way we always knew them.
Eh, after four TV shows, six movies, and three or so comic book series with them the way we always knew them, I was ready for something new, especially after the "Ultimate" version in 2012 that deftly pulled from almost everything.

And Rise delivered perfectly.

But now that the sun has set on that (unless they're doing another movie?), I'm ready for something more traditional again. In fact, I've said this before, but I'd love an honest to god reboot of the '87 Turtles, given all the attention they've been getting in games and merch lately.

Caldwin

Citizen
Eh, I hate to say too much bad about 87 turtles since, like most of my generation, it's what originally got me into TMNT. But like I said before, I just can't go back and watch it.

I mean, I can't really put my finger on it. I can watch goofy. I can watch fourth-wall breaking. In small doses, I can even watch 80's cheese. But there's just something about 80's TMNT that I just can't get through anymore.

If they were to reboot it, I would hope they go with a more Archie approach...minus the preaching.

Caldwin

Citizen
Armegeddon Game 3:
Not much to say about this one. We get to know a bit more about Cuddly. There was a fugitive chase. Mike is awesome.

TMNT 135:
Alopex makes a return, at least for this issue. She's sporting a new colored bandana. Her tail seems to have healed. She's still not happy with Raph. Future appearances are still iffy. It was still nice to see her again. I'll be in my bunk.

Oh, and Donny's awesome.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If they were to reboot it, I would hope they go with a more Archie approach...minus the preaching.
Sort of what I'm thinking. Just take the core designs and concepts and backstory, and do something new with them. Maybe hew more towards the tone of the five-part pilot than some of the stuff after.

Heck, use the five parter as a launching point, and continue from there in whatever way might work, you know?

Top Bottom