Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Okay, one example that didn't hold up too well to the copy/paste...but you get what I'm trying to say, right?

Shadewing

Citizen
I think I would have liked this more if it was an actual season 3. Like we don't get anything of Undertown or how the Krang were also connected to them. Not even an offhand mention. Even Draxon not being their felt... off. It feel like they had to cut out a lot to make the story work in the time frame they had.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Yeah, the story threat was normal. Leo did an Iron Man in Avengers 1 too. They could have leaned into the time travel more for me, like Casey giving valuable future knowledge but, no, he was a regular guy on the team right after.

He could have brought tech for Donnie to fuss over. Or some mystic rune for Mikey to feel empowered about. Like, I would be absolutely excited to find out future me was going to be one of the greatest mystics ever. Mikey would have been practicing after he was told.

Story though, this is the best outing for Leo, advancing his character to the point that we know. That isn't typical. Closest we got was Leo in 2003 Season 5, when he was the last turtle to unlock his mystic powers.

Oh, btw, why the hex didn't they just use more of what April brought? Like, c'moooon! If she ran out, Donnie could have synthesized more of it. But they didn't, urgh.

Also, who was Casey's dad? Any possible dad's in the comics? Even a throw away side character?

Edit - also, I need to watch the show again but Donnie wasn't anti feelings. Like, he wanted affection from his dad too. But why did he seem, I dunno, surprised to find out he had tears? It confused me for a bit. Unless he was so shocked that he blue screened but was surprised his body automatically responding to grief.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll try and give my opinions on the movie later tonight. I tried to watch It last night, but it had been such an exhausting day, I fell right asleep near the beginning. So I'm going to try again tonight. In the mean time, I got this from Amazon today.

ljBDv45.jpg

At first I wasn't sure why they felt like that had to put the box inside a box. But you know, if it keeps that collectable box inside in good shape during shipping, I guess I'm all for it.

1M2IRSw.jpg

You know, a majority of these accessories are going to be put in a bin to never see the light of day. But I do appreciate that it comes with all of this. You never know how you may want to pose him.

Lh0ufwh.jpg

They included a plastic cape, which is okay, I guess. The more accessories the better. But since it also has the cloth cape (which is so much better imo), I don't understand why anyone would go with the plastic cape.

I also don't understand why they have the eyebrows on the helmet. It looks so stupid. What designer decided "let's just put his eyebrows on the helmet and include it as the alt-head?"

wAj22wp.jpg

Is what I was wondering before I dug out my vintage Shredder and saw this. My goodness, how did I never notice that before? Now I can't unsee it!

You know, I always wondered about these Super 7 toys that were made to look exactly like the old toys. I mean, why would I ever want to get a toy that looks exactly like a toy I already have. I mean, Casey Jones I got because I never had the original. But I got Baxter Stockman on a whim and boy oh boy did I ever get my answer. And that answer was just reinforced by this Shredder.

Yes they're modeled to look like the originals. But never mind the posibility (which is awesome to the always crouched poses of the originals). This things just look better than the originals. It doesn't always come across in the promotional pictures you see on the shopping sites, but boy oh boy, you get one of these in your hands and compare it to your vintage toy, these things are just awesome!
Even in pictures, I love how they made this version of Shredder look SO good.

Like, I got the original because he was Shredder, but he was quickly relegated to "arcade game clone" once I got Wacky Action version and put the cape on him instead.

But this version? This is a version I kinda want, that I would actually like to have. He just takes that original design concept and makes it look good.

Robogeek1973

An oldie but a goodie!
Citizen
I'll try and give my opinions on the movie later tonight. I tried to watch It last night, but it had been such an exhausting day, I fell right asleep near the beginning. So I'm going to try again tonight. In the mean time, I got this from Amazon today.

ljBDv45.jpg

At first I wasn't sure why they felt like that had to put the box inside a box. But you know, if it keeps that collectable box inside in good shape during shipping, I guess I'm all for it.

1M2IRSw.jpg

You know, a majority of these accessories are going to be put in a bin to never see the light of day. But I do appreciate that it comes with all of this. You never know how you may want to pose him.

Lh0ufwh.jpg

They included a plastic cape, which is okay, I guess. The more accessories the better. But since it also has the cloth cape (which is so much better imo), I don't understand why anyone would go with the plastic cape.

I also don't understand why they have the eyebrows on the helmet. It looks so stupid. What designer decided "let's just put his eyebrows on the helmet and include it as the alt-head?"

wAj22wp.jpg

Is what I was wondering before I dug out my vintage Shredder and saw this. My goodness, how did I never notice that before? Now I can't unsee it!

You know, I always wondered about these Super 7 toys that were made to look exactly like the old toys. I mean, why would I ever want to get a toy that looks exactly like a toy I already have. I mean, Casey Jones I got because I never had the original. But I got Baxter Stockman on a whim and boy oh boy did I ever get my answer. And that answer was just reinforced by this Shredder.

Yes they're modeled to look like the originals. But never mind the posibility (which is awesome to the always crouched poses of the originals). This things just look better than the originals. It doesn't always come across in the promotional pictures you see on the shopping sites, but boy oh boy, you get one of these in your hands and compare it to your vintage toy, these things are just awesome!
I'm still holding out on Shredder in hopes that they put out a more toon accurate deco.

I always hated shirtless Shredder with fabric mask back in the day, and added articulation doesn't make me hate that design any less.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'm still holding out on Shredder in hopes that they put out a more toon accurate deco.

I always hated shirtless Shredder with fabric mask back in the day, and added articulation doesn't make me hate that design any less.
That's fair. In fact, back when I was a kid, I didn't like it either. But it was the only Shredder toy at the time. So faced with "this or nothing," I went with it.

Now there's so many different Shredders in my collection that "different from the show" doesn't really bother me much anymore. It's still not my favorite version of the Shredder, but nether is it my least favorite. And it's nostalgic enough, I'm happy to have it.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Now there's so many different Shredders in my collection that "different from the show" doesn't really bother me much anymore. It's still not my favorite version of the Shredder, but nether is it my least favorite. And it's nostalgic enough, I'm happy to have it.
I think that's the thing a lot of companies seem to get wrong with things when they try to do something different -- they try to give something different before people have what they want, which is the familiar.

Caldwin

Citizen
5304DAE7-3E57-4620-A3E1-4D91AF552344.jpeg

Okay, to be honest, I'm definitely going to regret getting this at the end of the month when I have to pay my mortgage and my refrigerator is empty. But this was just sitting there on the shelf at Target. Like...this is one thing I thought I'd never see, I walk into Target expecting nothing...and it was just sitting there! $150 I'm totally going to regret later, but for now, it's kinda awesome.

EE5E2A53-8CEF-457B-8076-C24B5A5917A6.jpeg

Box outside the slip cover.

1462180D-77FF-4898-8A78-FA7C75B9B367.jpeg

Back of the box.

76397A3F-CB23-4E23-80E5-265E27397965.jpeg

So...many...accessories!

58C06075-BA5B-4C6A-BAE6-6DDB065FF62B.jpeg

I'm keeping this background.

1120A8B0-BE21-4EE8-91EB-40B31A31A0B3.jpeg

I look at my employees and I regret nothing!

D087E006-6F40-4F89-8AE5-4500F51DE1C8.jpeg

Rwoor, they'll never see me coming. *prrr*

Caldwin

Citizen
I didn't want to spam this thread with a lot of pictures (more than usual), so I put this in my own little thread in Mayhem. Scroll to the bottom for a lot of TMNT toys.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Finally got around to seeing the movie. I mostly agree with everyone else. It has some GREAT animation. And it's a nice deep dive into Leonardo. Everyone else kind of takes a back seat. And...well, this is still Rise. Right after the rather exciting prologue in the future, we have a completely silly moment with the boys in the present that kind of slows things down. The goofiness can sometimes get in the way of the drama, but...that's fine, in moderation.

Though....it doesn't quite pay off as much as I would have liked.
I thought they'd actually explore that maybe Leo doesn't WANT to be the leader...but nope. I thought MAYBE these Krang were going to get sent back to the past so their corpses could create the Hidden City...nope. Or that April's poison she stole would be a key to defeating the Krang...nope. Dontello's soft-shell was a nice explanation for why he uses so much tech...but it's kind of just a side plot that doesn't go anywhere. I thought the two Caseys would meet...nope. Or maybe give us more to Krang and Shredder's history together since they share armors...nope, but we did get that in the series proper, already, it just would have been nice to get more.

The organic Technodrome was kind of cool, though. Though...I'm not sure why it's called a TECHNOdrome if it's mostly BIO-tech.

And I'm not sure if Future-Leo was sporting Future-Raph's arm or a robotic one. But, that's a interesting touch.

I liked that they brought the Krang in, but I wished their characterizations were more interesting. They're kind of one note. Even Splinter lampshades it.

And...there is still one Krang in human custody that COULD be used in a sequel. Plus...y'know, since the timeline SPLIT, and wasn't actually ERASED, Future-Casey's future still exists...
This movie is good. But...I can't help feel like the 4-part finale we got in the show is better. Still, it's a nice enough send off for this version of the Turtles.

Like, is THIS the first time a variation Mikey of excelled this way?!?
Well, 2003 Mikey did win the Battle Nexus Championship (and never let us forget it). And 2012 Mikey did have his whole Dimension-X natural ability. And then there's the Master Mikey from the Teenage MECHA Ninja Turtles short from those Summer Shorts I linked to a while back. But, this Future-Mage-Rise might be the most powerful canon Mikey ever.

Also, who was Casey's dad? Any possible dad's in the comics? Even a throw away side character?
Chances are we're NEVER going to get a firm answer on this in Rise's universe. But, my first thought is Hun from the 2003 cartoon and in IDW comics is Casey's dad.

Shadewing

Citizen
So... I know it was supposed to look like Rise Shedder, but did 'Krang Prime' armor look like a hypothetical robot mode to ROTF Ravage to anyone else?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
In the flashback, there WAS a 4-legged Krang armor that looked like a tiger. There might be some inspiration being taken.

At around 9:01

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
YES! I was wondering about the weird Raph arm too. If it was glowing red, it'd be cool to assume that Future Leo was using dead Raph's sai nimpo (spelling).

Yeah, various Mikey's had feats but this seemed to be the only magically inclined one, which is very cool. He is the most artistic and, well, magic is a mystic art? Haha. I hope this gets explored more.

I totally wanted more details in story buuuut I would have been happy with cameos of Todd, Draxum, Repo, Bullhop etc. Soooo happy they chose Hypno (and Warren) of all of the others tho.

I actually like that they didn't go with 'Leo not wanting the leadership role'. This movie is totally almost anime protagonist stuff but I'm glad it also didn't go that way. They vagued it up on Leo's feelings on the role but they happily didn't angst it up too much.

(Actually, for me personally, it would be great if Splinter raised his sons so they can take turns being the leader, so they all gain the skills to lead their own school and whatnot. I always believed that if they wish to learn other skills, let them. It's just the media narrative to box a person into the smart one, the goofy one, the stupid one, the gluttonous one, the tough one etc. Better to be multifaceted.

I figured that from a fairy tale, where three princesses were classified into the beautiful, the kind and the smart one. But they grew up together and learned from each other so they all became equally beautiful, kind and smart. Also in a Tamora Pierce novel where the knights in training DID take the leadership role in rotation in training exercises, to both teach leadership qualities and humility in learning to take orders.)

Caldwin

Citizen

I don't know when this is supposed to hit the streets. But one way or another, I'm going to have to get this.

Top Bottom