Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Hey, they want to give me quality entertainment based on nostalgic franchises from my childhood, they're more than welcome to my money.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I don't have the turtle van release, so I couldn't say. What I can say is that before the turtle van release, they were released in separate volumes and season sets. These are the exact same DVDs as those only with a different pant job on the disc. So much so that even the disks originally released as Raphael/Leonardo/etc. editions still have those titles on the main menu.
Yeah, the Turtle Van set was a big compilation set of all those individually-released volume and season set discs, so this is just another release of all that but cheaper.

Caldwin

Citizen
I already owned a bunch of those volume/season sets. I only had a few holes in the collection to patch. This was a good, inexpensive way to patch the holes. Maybe I can get something for the individual volumes at Disc Replay.

Robogeek1973

An oldie but a goodie!
Citizen
Newest acquisition.

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_124832__01.jpg
    IMG_20220625_124832__01.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 57

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
At least he eventually got a cyborg body. The alt-future stockman where he was physiologically wired into hun... erg. Straight up body horror...

Caldwin

Citizen
Heh, which one? ;)
Well, I was talking about the Fred Wolf cartoon. I tried to get into the Nickelodeon toons but kept getting dragged away from it. Did they also have Fly-Stockman in those?

The only Fly-Stockman I personally saw aside from Fred Wolf was in the Batman vs. TMNT animated movie.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It wasn't as bad as that because the characters in the show weren't THAT detailed... but yeah. Makes the fred wolf stockman look normal and healthy.

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, at first I thought it was just me, but honestly, now I think this art just objectively sucks.

8DC9A1E1-BBAE-4BE1-9424-43F5A106BBE4.jpeg

They look like children. Even at that, the proportions are whacked. Just look at Casey! This artist also seems to have an aversion to feet.

EE71FF9A-2F60-4CC9-97A0-523A530E6C08.jpeg

Casey really got whacked with the ugly stick here.

A86394E2-B048-488A-9C3B-C4A59BAC4B21.jpeg

April didn't get off easy either.

D70AFDA9-7846-4AA4-96CE-75A943790616.png

Like seriously, make it stop!

I mean, I like the story. The coloring is awesome. But this art style is killing me!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Holy crap, that looks horrifying!
Yeah, the 2012 TMNT had some pretty dark and gruesome imagery. Stuff that I'm surprised Nickelodeon was really okay with showing.

I tried to get into the Nickelodeon toons but kept getting dragged away from it.
You should really watch the 2012 series. It's very good from start to finish.

Someone once put it best that, where the 2003 series was like an A+ for its first five seasons but then fell to about a B- or C+ for its final two seasons, the 2012 series was like a solid A- throughout its entire run. Not as top tier as the 2003 series's first five series, but still very well done overall.

2003 felt like a more faithful cartoon adaptation that hewed closer to the Mirage Comics in spirit, while 2012 felt like a sort of "Ultimate TMNT" series, taking the best elements of almost everything that had come before it, while also bringing in all-new elements, to make something both original and yet still familiar.

It's definitely my second favorite TMNT cartoon after the 2003 one. The new storyline they did with Karai was SO GOOD!!

Shadewing

Citizen
Indeed, the 2013 series might be a bit of a slow boil, but its got really strong characters, stories, and plotting. While yeah, "Ultimate TMNT" works, it feels like its trying to be between 2003 series and the 80's series. Not as dark and serious as the former, but not as campy and lighthearted as the latter. And yeah, easily my second favorite TMNT series as well.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I played Shredder's Revenge a while ago with three players (I was Donnie). It was fun but the controllers stopped working during the Triceraton stage where the force shield Triceraton appeared. Me and my two friends suddenly had our characters stuck running to the edge of the screen (two to the left, one on the right) and the Triceraton just kept hitting the closest one until he died. We just stopped played (cuz it was late anyhow). Weird.

(Also my technique was to use the super then taunt to regain it back after it was done.)

(Also who the hex is Tempestra? What does she have to do with summoning Tokka and Rahzer? And I know Groundchuck and Dirtbag were in the cartoon but they weren't major players to be bosses again from... third TMNT NES game, I think)

Caldwin

Citizen
Tempestra was a one episode wonder. The excuse for her summoning Tokka and Rahzar was that it wasn't really them, just holographic simulations of them.

I can't fault them too much using one episode villains since the Turtles in Time arcade version used Cement Man.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Okay, at first I thought it was just me, but honestly, now I think this art just objectively sucks.
Yeah...I mean I've seen worse, but this isn't great. His turtles look a little...puppet-like, if that makes any sense? I think this artist works okay with horror stuff. Venus and the various monsters look suitably horrifying. But the Turtles and the humans all look a little off. And like you said, the proportions are off, too.

Mind you "ugly" art can work for the TMNT, I think. But... I don't think this is "cool" or "stylish" ugly. Like other 90s gross out stuff like Madballs or Garbage Pail Kids or Skeleton Warriors. This is just slightly off-model enough to be off-putting.

Unfortunately, I think this artist is the the main one for the foreseeable future, if the solicitations are accurate. I can only guess they're fast and dependable.

Tempestra was a one episode wonder. The excuse for her summoning Tokka and Rahzar was that it wasn't really them, just holographic simulations of them.

Technically, a TWO episode wonder. "Leonardo versus Tempestra" and "Night of the Rogues". She's a video game character come to life, so it's actually pretty fitting to have her show up in a video game. She shows up again when Shredder replaces Beebop and Rocksteady with other more competent characters, so...actually it's a little fitting that she summons Beebop and Rocksteady's "replacements", too. She also seems to have a crush on the Shredder in that episode.

Yeah, I had to look her up, too. It's a PRETTY deep cut.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh, well, I guess they needed to include a female villain somehow.

I don't remember Cement Man. I only played the SNES version of Turtles in Time.

Top Bottom