Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
LRG has opened preorders up for this stuff, including a $660 “super collector set” which includes the radical editions of all three consoles plus the “big box” PC version. Preorders close July 24th. Expect the Radical Editions to take longer to ship out.

Remember, the basic physical version will be available through other retailers, but it won’t feature any extras or the personal pan pizza coupon.

I’m just not sure I can justify the Radical Edition. I think the extras are FAR more compelling than what Konami is doing for the Cowabunga Collection, but, at this moment in my life, it just looks like MORE STUFF when I should be downsizing to some degree. And I’m not actively getting any TMNT toys (nor do I have any from my childhood), so the Shredder doesn’t do much for me (though I admit it IS a cool addition).
I think I’ll settle fro the VHS Steel book version. It’s a nice medium between getting something a little special…but not including a ton of stuff that’ll just end up in the closet or sold off later.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
While the extras do look more interesting than the Cowabunga Collection, I'm afraid CC beat SR to the punch. My money's already been sunk into the CC extras and I just don't have the extra $$$ to throw away on another.

But all the same, I absolutely can't wait for Thursday to arrive. I was leaning towards getting SR for the Switch since I have CC reserved for PS5, you know, spread the love around. But my PS5 has the ethernet cable hookup, the faster load times and trophies...soooooo...yeah.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Small artbook is the only add on Id aim for anyway, so basic LRG physical edition for me.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Assuming Shredder’s Revenge ends up on GamePass this week (I’m not sure, thought it was but Game Pass has yet to post the game in the upcoming section), I might just hold off any orders until I play it. I recall getting excited for Streets of Rage 4, but found it to be lacking compared to newer beaters like River City Girls.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Early reviews are starting to roll in. Mostly positive, with praise to the music, graphics and gameplay. Most of the complaints seem to boil down "it's a retro belt scrolling beat em up".

Caldwin

Citizen
It is 8:00am EST. The PlayStation store still won't let me buy this. It's still sitting in my Wishlist.

What the hell, guys? Update the damn store already!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Wouldn’t let me start it up on Switch yet either this morning. But that’s a good thing since I do need to get to work today.

Caldwin

Citizen
As long as they have it and I can use my app to download it before I get home from work. Otherwise I riot.

Caldwin

Citizen
It's posted and I am now downloading it to my system. I will now cancel the apocalypse for today.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
And yeah, if you have Xbox Game Pass (and if you have an Xbox, you really should) and it's posted and working.

I've only played a little bit, but the game is damn solid. Some of the voices are clearly "off", but they got the core turtles, and that's what's important.

Caldwin

Citizen
That was AWESOME!!!!

I unlocked Casey in story mode. Of course, Raph was my first turtle I used. It had to be Raph. Someone else might've gotten it wrong.

The only problem I had is that you can't quit to the menu from story mode. So it's kind of a finish it all in one go type thing, which honestly makes me glad it's a short game.

But the graphics, the background destruction...just everything about it felt like a true side-scrolling beat-em-up from back in my arcade days. Even with the tweaks they made to battle were so on point that it felt right at home to be put right beside the classic arcade games.

Now granted, that all might be new-feel adrenaline rush...but right now, I really feel this game is pure awesome!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It's certainly a nostalgia rush. The item finding missions in the story mode is a good way to make replayablitiy a thing. Although it's more than possible to get everything in one go if your the destructive explorer sort. And there are lot's of hidden cameos besides the enemies to find. I ran though story mode with Donny and got him to max level first off. I'm eager to try out April, Splinter and Casey more than the other Three Turtles yet..

Though I'm not sure what Caldwin is saying about quitting from story mode. It may not be doable in a level but it was easy enough to back out from the world map and go back to it.

Caldwin

Citizen
I was able to do it later, though I can't remember what I pressed. But yeah, I was able to stumble on to quitting after the fact.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Yeah, your cancel-button equivalent will take you back to the character select screen and then the main menu from the overworld map, while pausing during a level will let you pull back to the overworld map. (At least on already completed stages, no idea if that's available on incomplete ones and can't check since I've pushed through story mode already. Also not sure if pulling out of a level after finding a collectible will let you keep it or not, but the levels are short enough/fun enough that I didn't mind playing through again for the few things I missed.)

Top Bottom