Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Ever have one of those times where you order something online when you have the money, but before it's delivered (but after it's too late to cancel the order), you realize you spent WAY too much money on toys and your once in a life time chance to get a PS5 and are now completely broke...had to do a cash advance on your credit card to make sure you don't go into the red.

Then your order comes in. Now when you ordered it, you were anticipating it with almost child-like glee. But now you see the package on your porch. You know darn well what it is. And now that child-like glee has turned into "how could I be so stupid?"

Well...here ya go!

fLisKca.jpg

I was noticing that I had a distinct lack of Donatello in my TMNT collection. So this was an attempt to help even it out a bit.

3DNwg77.jpg

I do like the Batgirl. As you can tell, the bo staff broke. The hands were too darn tight and the holding thing on Donny's back was even tighter. So...kind of crappy construction there.

p29i5YC.jpg

Not that I'm saying shoddy construction is typical with the line...because...take a look. No problems with anything else. I gave Donny Robin's staff. Robin won't need it in the toy bin.

Robogeek1973

An oldie but a goodie!
Citizen
Ever have one of those times where you order something online when you have the money, but before it's delivered (but after it's too late to cancel the order), you realize you spent WAY too much money on toys and your once in a life time chance to get a PS5 and are now completely broke...had to do a cash advance on your credit card to make sure you don't go into the red.

Then your order comes in. Now when you ordered it, you were anticipating it with almost child-like glee. But now you see the package on your porch. You know darn well what it is. And now that child-like glee has turned into "how could I be so stupid?"

Well...here ya go!

fLisKca.jpg

I was noticing that I had a distinct lack of Donatello in my TMNT collection. So this was an attempt to help even it out a bit.

3DNwg77.jpg

I do like the Batgirl. As you can tell, the bo staff broke. The hands were too darn tight and the holding thing on Donny's back was even tighter. So...kind of crappy construction there.

p29i5YC.jpg

Not that I'm saying shoddy construction is typical with the line...because...take a look. No problems with anything else. I gave Donny Robin's staff. Robin won't need it in the toy bin.
I'm still kicking myself for not caving on these when they were all discounted to around half off.

Caldwin

Citizen
Now since the only two sets I don't have are Alfred/Mikey and Batman/Leo... I do kinda wish I'd gotten them when I had the chance. On the other hand, the only one of those characters I don't already have multiple versions of is Alfred...sooo...*shrug*

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, so, first off, no better feeling than a payday after really getting short on funds. Now...here's me trying my hardest to get right back into the same situation.

ZSDEqc5.jpg

I saw this at Target. There was only one of them, so I made sure to snag it.

zi6WevG.jpg

Comparison with the vintage.

8Ot5Amg.jpg

This was also from Target. It came with a shirt but I like to put shirts through the wash before I wear them, so it was unavailable to be pictured.

Cdx3UDG.jpg

Comparison with vintage and NECA

h1AYMHw.jpg

3iFQqXR.jpg

This was the only BST AXN figure they had at Walmart. Lucky for me I already mentioned how I had a distinct lack of Donny.

When I first saw it in the package, it looked like that shiny, hard, cheap plastic you might expect on a McDonalds toy. But when I felt it in my hands, it actually seemed to be an okay plastic. Not top quality like NECA or Super 7, but for a $20 bargain toy, it wasn't terrible.

The problem came when I tried to switch out the head and hands and the whole thing just completely fell apart on me. I saw each individual part including the chest and waist parts that are usually underneath the shell. This told me just how cheap these things are. Like seriously, the Marvel Legends series are similarly prices and have a lot more quality in them. I can't even keep the 'D' on his belt from falling off. I may just have to superglue it.

Sooooo, yeah, I don't think I'll be buying any BST AXN figures any more. I rather pay double for something that won't fall apart on me.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
"Confuzed" c'mon man!

But the wow emote was for the BST AXN figure just falling apart like that. Did not expect them to be that flimsy.

Caldwin

Citizen
"Confuzed" c'mon man!

That...yeah, that...was totally unintentional.

Wow!

But the wow emote was for the BST AXN figure just falling apart like that. Did not expect them to be that flimsy.

Well, in fairness, it did all pop back together again, some parts more easily than others. And the 'D' on the belt won't stay on there (may have to be super glued or something). But it did pop back together.

Still, the fact that it all just crumbled like that in the first place, yeah, wow!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I'm cool with just the games.

That said IGN had a new video showing off the first two levels and that the original 4 Turtles VA's are doing sounds for the "Shredder's Revenge" game. Get ready to hear "HIIIIYA!" from Cam Clarke a lot. But that said watching it the whole game oozes personality. I'm loving it.

MrBlud

Citizen
Everything they’ve done since has been “essentially” a reboot.

I like (and think it’s good for overall brand health) that they took bigger swings like 2012 and Rise. Like when Transformers was doing AEC. Designs that are “evocative” of older ones without being 1:1.

Rebooting the ‘87 Turtles so they’re the ‘87 Turtles is as creatively bankrupt as something like Cyberverse.

Caldwin

Citizen
No. Just...no. One of the things I like most about this franchise is it's variety. You have campy kids shows, seriou kids shows, dark and violent adult oriented comics, all ages video games.

It's one thing to bring out retro toys and to have a game here or there based on an old generation. Even a one-off movie would be okay. They're one-off products that people can collect a retro figure here, an updated figure there, and allis good.

You make a series though, you've pretty much committed several years to making seasons of this one style. Transformers has shown us what happens if everything becomes G1 in a different package, and it's just not good for the franchise.

By all means, I hope we k getting these high quality Super 7 and Neca retro style toys. But I think it's past time for something new (and less expensive) for parents to buy their kids and f the kids to watch.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Rebooting the ‘87 Turtles so they’re the ‘87 Turtles is as creatively bankrupt as something like Cyberverse.
Dude. Did you watch Cyberverse Season 3? That's not creatively bankrupt. Even season 2 was scary sharp.

Rise was creative as all hex get out. Like, seriously. Lou Jitsu was amazing. Best Donnie ever. Actual new mutants. Would that it got the support it deserved for the freshness it brought.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Cyberverse season 1 was kinda a slog, but it was just setting up the rest which was fairly entertaining and an interesting take on the great war, the pax cybertronia, and the universe in general.

I tried to watch rise. I got through the series opener and while I didn't think it was too badly done, I also didn't enjoy it. Not bad, just not for me.

Caldwin

Citizen
I don't really keep up with Transformers anymore (maybe I'll buy a toy here and there). I've just heard that a common complaint is that everything is G1. So far TMNT has avoided that pitfall and I'd like to see it to continue avoiding it.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I want someone to experiment with Cyberverse by starting from Season 2 at once. I'd say the only they'll miss from Season 1 would be the throwaway death of Blurr and Acid Storm changing gender. Season 2 is basically the end of the war on Earth.

---

Anyhow, with Rise, it's the little things that add up with the brothers. Because of the humor, they have the most playful interactions ever. Donnie (the best showcase) does not take any crap from anyone. Not a doormat, not a pushover. He is an alpha nerd geek. Also the best dancer, haha.

Leo, I'm surprised cuz he is reprehensible at how he manipulates his brothers. He has competitions with Mikey (the bus boy unicorn contest) and he has a fierce rivalry with Donnie (the sewer Olympics were the best). We've seen him butt heads with Raphael in other incarnations but the short eps shows other brotherly dynamics that are new. Aaaand effectively displays how this Leo is a crafty and cunning social thinker, a different breed compared to the default leaders of other versions.

New Splinter, wooooow, from worst interpretation from the start to holy cow, I can't believe they did that and wow that's such a dang love letter.

---
Fox Kids TMNT was the BEST comic accurate TMNT ever.

Nick TMNT was the best homage of TMNT ever.

Both are amazing epic adaptations but they both followed the source material. Rise just went into a truly wild and unbeaten path. Shame that most folks didn't stick around to explore it further, even for just some of the best animation ever.

Top Bottom