Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I've been tempted to give this a shot. But I'd most likely just use the TMNT and Avatar Characters most of the time. I enjoy a few Nick series but I have no attachment to most of them. I never had Nick as a channel until High School and while there are a few pre 2000's shows I got to enjoy occasionally, I am disappointed that Angelica isn't a fightable character just to beat that little snot.

And while I understand the reason they used the classic show models for April and Leo, it's a bit disappointing they didn't use something from the 2012 series or Rise. I'm not really a fan of Rise but I do feel like those versions of the Turtles could be fun Smash-like characters.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Yeah, I hate 80s April as a fighter, in this and the new Turtles game. She wasn't a fighter.. stop trying to make her 2003 April... Just... use 2003 April if you want to use that form of April. That or 2012 April.

AgentOrange

Citizen
Yeah, I hate 80s April as a fighter, in this and the new Turtles game. She wasn't a fighter.. stop trying to make her 2003 April... Just... use 2003 April if you want to use that form of April. That or 2012 April.

I'm pretty sure SpongeBob, CatDog, Ren, and Stimpy weren't fighters either

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
April as a fighter doesn't bug me for the reasons AgentOrange said. It's a similar situation as Peach or Zelda in Smash by the times of their debuts. Peach had yet to get a starring role in anything other than SMB2 nor Zelda shown too much of a fight herself even as Shiek other than shooting Light Arrows at Ganon. That said while April has been a constant Damsel in Distress in the original series, there were times she would attempt to fight back, just not as actively as we are seeing in the new games she's shown up in.

spikeriley

Citizen
I'm pretty sure SpongeBob, CatDog, Ren, and Stimpy weren't fighters either
That is true. SpongeBob is a fighter solely because his show is Nickelodeon's flagship franchise (as it has spawned movies and even those two spin-off cartoons). I always thought Ren was a fighter, considering he abuses poor Stimpy a lot.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Here's the thing, though: At some time or another, literally every other version of April (or damn near) has become a fighter over time. That leaves '80s toon April as the odd one out.

Unfortunately, it's that version of the Turtles that are the most iconic and enduring, especially where retro stuff is concerned. That puts the developers of these games in a sticky position.

I mean, would you want to be the one to explain to a TMNT fan who loves April and grew up in the last ~20 years that their favorite character has to be sidelined because she was written as a damsel in distress well before they were even born? I sure wouldn't.

(And I'm fully aware of the notion that this April is different from the rest, but look at April's history-- she tends to change more than anyone with each iteration, so I'm trusting April fans are used to it by now.)

And for what it's worth, the April from TMNT Adventures -- which spun out of the cartoon -- became a fighter as well, so it could be argued she has it in her somewhere.

Heck, her action figures back in the day even came with fighting accessories. Her original figure came with a shuriken and a gun.

So yeah, it's kinda weird to see, but I think it's a positive move for the franchise going forward.

Now bring on Garfield, so I can kick everyone off the table!

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Part of me is looking forward to this, but it just feels so... lifeless without voice clips from the characters. I guess I don't play enough Smash to appreciate how the energy and frenetic pace kind of distracts from that, but it's so lively with them and so bland otherwise.

At least the developer has mentioned adding voices is possible down the line. Just seems odd not to launch with it, but let's see.

spikeriley

Citizen
Yeah, but no voice work is better than having voice work, but the VAs are not the actual VAs from the show, but sound-alikes Nickelodeon hired because they would do the job for less money.'

However, Joel Nystrom has said they made add voice acting down the line. Which could happen if the game does well enough. Remember, Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid didn't have voice acting at first, but it was added later on. Just don't expect the actual VAs (or most of them, at least) to reprise their roles.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
About time they showed him..... but man I think he looks off compared to a lot of the other characters.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Uh, these might not mean anything about what's in the game, but they are from the official discord server. And Jenny is a pretty obvious fit.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that Nickelodeon remembered Making Fiends than I am by Jenny being confirmed as trans (or as intentional trans metaphor, I guess).

(Not cool that it's stolen fanart, though.)

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Plus I believe they added in a bunch of alternate looks for all the current characters too.

Top Bottom