Netflix Live Action Cowboy Bebop Series

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Definitely like what I'm seeing, but Im honestly surprised to see hints of lifting episodes wholesale from the original anime. I figured we were gonna be getting totally original adventures with real people instead of drawings.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
c0bTHpC.jpeg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I hate saying this, because it makes me look all snobbish, BUT....

If the series is going to be mostly rehashing the old series but with live action? What's the damn point? It's just like when Disney remade Lion King nearly identically but with expensive CGI?

To me, Cowboy Bebop is one of the VERY few pieces of media that I would consider damn near perfect. It's like remaking Citizen Kane or The Godfather or Star Wars (A New Hope). There is no way this remake will reach the same levels as the original anime, and that opening hasn't given me much to say that it will be much different than the series, except a more conservative outfit for Faye.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Love that they are even bringing back the Big Shot segments from what was on the TV screens near the end.

But wheres Edward?

mx-01 archon

Citizen
Love that they are even bringing back the Big Shot segments from what was on the TV screens near the end.

But wheres Edward?

Ed's never been announced/cast for the series. Either cut completely, or maybe something they're holding out on for a potential second season. Unless it's something they want to be a surprise, for some reason.

But all the episodes teased by the opening are stories where Ed didn't really have a part in, if she even showed at all.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I dunno. Its got real "low budged fan cosplay intro made just for fun to try and capture the feeling of the original but not really managing to succeed" energy

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I love the Speed Racer vibes and hope that carries into the show itself. I also wish it was alternate adventures of the crew rather than live action version of exact plot lines.

spikeriley

Citizen
I dunno. Its got real "low budged fan cosplay intro made just for fun to try and capture the feeling of the original but not really managing to succeed" energy

That is true. Also, everyone does not trust Netflix with live action adaptations of anime (especially after how they botched Death Note with that live action film, which is somehow getting a sequel, from what I heard).

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
And now the character of Gren has apparently been reimagined from cis male who was forced to take experimental drugs in prison that fucked up their hormones leaving them with a body they didn't feel like fit into any catagory and didn't really want... into positive NB rep?

I get the original might be a little dicey for some people to deal with but feels like they might have flushed a chance to explore a trans character, albeit it one from an unusual direction, and what that is like and instead decided to just pave it over so nobody has to think about it.

Last edited:

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Was the original that campy? It's been a while since I've seen it and I only watched it once.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well I believe the screen transitions are more for the promo than the show…. I do hope.
But uh ya. This feels about right for those three.

SoS

I don't want to go...
Citizen
Yep, the tone is just about perfect. Can't wait for the show to premiere.

mx-01 archon

Citizen
Was the original that campy? It's been a while since I've seen it and I only watched it once.

It had a pretty good mix. The episodes that dealt with the crew's backstories could be more melancholy and noir-ish, but the series had a lot of 70s inspired camp as well. Monkey de-evolution virus, delusional cowboy, blaxploitation funk. Part of why the original series is so beloved, is that it's not so pidgeon-holed into one particular genre.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Mushroom induced hallucination episode, the alien in the ship horror episode. Lots of fun to go with the more serious stuff.

Top Bottom