MYM - Chap2, Ep4: "Ali-Conned".....................................(SPOILERS)

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen

Sunny and Pipp are up on this one!
And there seems to be popularity abound.
How will the two mares fare?

The episode is now available on Netflix
----------------------------

SYNOPSIS:

Ali-Conned

When her Alicorn magic comes out unexpectedly, Sunny's suddenly mega-popular.
Pipp borrows Sparky for the day to boost her likes on social media.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ali-Conned

0:28 They eat too much junk food. It took until G5 for a pony to realize this.

0:32 Smoothies are not typically all that healthy either. They tend to have a day's worth of sugar.

0:52 Do not invent pony Monsanto.

1:02 Sunny still has a reputation despite one of her causes turning out to be right. Just because she was right doesn't mean she wasn't a dork about it.

1:37 They should be really used to seeing her like this by now. Maybe they're just gathering around to see what she knocks over this time.

3:04 Pipp is secretly totally insecure.

3:23 Her fricking little legs. Pipp wasn't always this short in the concept art. Some genius looked at her at some point and said "I know what this design needs."

5:27 Cultural reference to shadwbanning. We've entered a weird age.

8:10 That sounds terrible.

10:06 Sunny's first thought at seeing a mysterious object is that Zipp needs to see it.

11:01 Opaline is going to regret this plan. Sunny is going to drive her nuts. She's too innocent to manipulate.

12:06 Ew.

12:53 As usual, whatever Izzy's doing will be incomprehensible until she explains it.

14:14 Misty is the abused lackey that you KNOW is going to turn. We might have sympathized with her. But so far she has that 'acceptable target' vibe. That shove was beautiful.

15:07 Sunny is Spiderman 2-ing. She's going to need to decide that she wants these powers. It's oddly inverted though. She suffered more BEFORE getting her powers. Everything has gotten better for her with her powers. But she wants it to be for the right reasons.

17:11 That is a drawing of a G1 pony in the background.

18:23 Pipp continues to be refreshingly self-aware.

19:58 Hey, we've seen concept art for this garden. There it is.

That was okay. The previous two episodes were a tough act to follow.

Sunny is clearly a bit scarred by her time as the town weirdo. For us it was the opening act of the movie, but for her (and every other earth pony in town) it was a lifetime. That's going to take more time to go away.

We finally know what happened to that first episode's animation budget. Pipp stole it. She is the most thoroughly animated pony in the show.

I worry about the villains getting a bit overplayed. This is a very different approach than we saw with G4. But Misty's suffering has not gotten old yet. I am looking forward to the inevitable 'Misty getting no respect for x minutes' compilation. This episode contributed some good stuff.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Ali-Conned:
“I have a really important announcement! One that will change all of our lives!” Again?! Did someone finally find the Kirin?

…And she’s just lecturing ponies about eating healthier. I think it’s just that ONE pony eating all the junk food, though. Where was he even keeping those chips and donuts?

“You just want us to come to your smoothie cart” ..Dahlia makes a fair point.

Sunny’s trying to create GMOs. She needs to be stopped.

Sunny’s one true purpose is…being a giant nag. Great.

Sunny’s using her alicorn powers just to get attention to her causes. That..feels like a abuse of power. But, they only seem interested because it’s pretty.

Sunny actually has to focus to turn her powers OFF at this point. Not sure if this is a plot point, but they might be getting stronger.

Opaline’s never seen Sunny’s semi-alicorn form before.

Opaline’s just mad that Misty didn’t bring HER a smoothie.

Blink and you’ll miss it: Misty is part of the Filly Four, a hot new group on Clip Trot. Misty’s having fun goofing off while spying.

“I don’t even know what a monkey means!” It’s fine Pipp…it just means you’re getting older and not hip anymore. Do the kids say “hip” anymore?

Shadowbanished! Again…this is getting too real.

Sparky likes licking rocks. He’ll be eating crystals and gems in no time.

Pipp’s going to abuse Sparky’s baby-cuteness for the views…yeah, that seems like something a desperate influencer would do.

Sunny’s been a alicorn for weeks now. She’s brought magic back and saved them from a giant black hole. Why is she only getting popular NOW?

Aww…the Pippsqueaks made little cardboard horns and wings. Even the ones who have horns and wings already.

“Airhorns for Armadillos” …I assume Sunny wants to give airhorns for armadillos so ponies don’t run them over, but I don’t know how they’d press the button.

Sunny’s encouraged them to create horrible monstrosity plants. Great. I’m sure SOMETHING good will come from it…after it goes Little Shop of Horrors.

All the ponies are older than school age confrmed…also school being a thing is confirmed. Why are none of the Pippsqueaks ever in school?

The Filly Four are: Sugar Moonlight, Rosedust, Lily, and Minty/Marcy/Misty. Pretty close to old Flower Trio from G4. I kind of like Minty as her nickname. Good times.

*Insert Weird Al’s Hardware Store song here*

Opaline’s just straight-up talking and tempting Sunny through her compact mirror. Bold move on her part. And it’s probably going to backfire by the end of the season.

Opaline’s a alicorn supremacist…makes sense.

Sunny is VERY gullible.

Pipp you’re literally acting like a baby. Get yourself together!

Hitch likes jazz during his bubble baths. I didn’t need to know that.

“No pony even really likes you” Geez, harsh!

They made Sunny cry…heads will roll! Or at least their phones will get smashed, something!

“I carry the limitless knowledge of my unicorn ancestors” You swim in trash, don’t get a big head Izzy. She also mentions her Aunty Buttons…given this is a show about magic, there’s a none-zero chance she could show up in the future as a ghost or something.

“Am I never going to go viral? *Sobs* AM I?” *SIGH* I have a hard time taking this seriously, and so do the writers.

“This isn’t fun anymore so whats the point?” Money? Wait, you’re a princess you probably HAVE money. Hmm…

Sparky knows how to edit videos. Okay.

They made a community garden…right outside the Brighthouse. Don’t they have TONS of empty fields they could use for this? Opaline will DEFINITELY use this to sneak in.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, one of the weaker episodes so far; but also will give it props for not doing what I thought it would: Having Opaline impersonating Sunny directly after the ending of the last one. Still time for something like that to happen, but at least it wasn't the immediate follow-up, especially with a name like 'Ali-conned'

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I also give this one points for not going for an impersonation plot, for the unfair reason that I didn't want an impersonation plot. It seemed like they were obviously going to do it, but they surprised me.

And I liked what they came up with instead. Sunny has a magic mirror that tempts her to do evil things, but she's too pure for it to work. Opaline's bewilderment/disappointment at Sunny's plan is one of her best moments. She's better when she has something to do other than go "Bwahaha" at herself.

And this episode stepped up the Misty abuse, and that was nice.

Top Bottom