"My Little Pony: A New Generation"....................(SPOILERS)

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
a_new_generation_by_johnjoseco_dero1qf-fullview.png

If that's true I bet we will hear about in the next shareholder call.

Also Sunny is so cute in that thumbnail.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Oh, and then there’s that ending. They kind of want to have their cake and eat it too, with the crystals and all. “The magic was inside US all along” *crystals do their thing finally* “Oh, it just took a little for them to warm up, nevermind, the magic WAS in the crystals, after all”.
I don't think that's exactly it. My take is the crystals didn't do anything, because as Sunny said it's not the crystals that had to be brought together. It was the ponies themselves. By having basically the 'leaders' of each pony type coming together to confirm that Sunny might be right after all, the crystals finally reacted. They're useless otherwise.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I don't think that's exactly it. My take is the crystals didn't do anything, because as Sunny said it's not the crystals that had to be brought together. It was the ponies themselves. By having basically the 'leaders' of each pony type coming together to confirm that Sunny might be right after all, the crystals finally reacted. They're useless otherwise.
I'll admit, I was mostly just being snarky with that line. But, these are VERY forgiving crystals since the leaders basically just have to look sorry at each other and they'll just give everyone their magic back.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm glad the reception has been so positive. I had moments watching it when I thought "Is this good? It's not just me, is it?"

I could nitpick some things but I just don't feel like it. This kept my spirits up last weekend and it's still helping my mood. It's so cute.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Finally had a chance to watch it last night, and I loved it too.

The time-skip to a new setting didn't bother me, but then I read history books for fun; it's a historical inevitability that nations/civilizations end and new ones rise to replace them. It's not about "failing," it's just part of the process. History is a palimpsest.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
REWATCH PARTY!

Things have already changed a bit since the movie came out. Zipp and Pipp turned out to be very prominent characters. So I figured I'd rewatch this and see if new information changes anything, or if we were already given information we just didn't know was important.

I'm going to try not to note everything. Just things that particularly stand out to me knowing what we know now. I will fail to stick to that but I will try.

1:14 Having one of them go crazy is the best sendoff they could have given G4. It is still amusing that they picked Rarity.

3:00 Sprout looks confused. His brain is not completely shutting out what Argyle is saying. He was still malleable. Phyllis is the real monster.

3:11 I still think this all could have been avoided if Sprout got to have one of those cupcakes.

6:52 Sunny's map of Canterlogic appears to be a piece of concept art. And it looks like she sketched out how she planned to get backstage. I wish they put this much effort into coming up with believable ways for ponies to interact with objects, because there's certainly not a lack of attention to detail overall. It's just concentrated on certain things over others.

7:28 I'm going to remember this shot the next time I retwatch MYM. Canterlogic is a colossal building.

Update: I checked MYM. The building is still there. They just avoid showing it much.

7:40 Here's one of things I wanted to know that got me to rewatch this. That's the same smoothie cart Sunny works in MYM. Someone else is working in there now. I don't think Sunny owns it, at least yet. I think she just has a delivery gig.

8:36 It was a mistake to show Sprout again at any point for the rest of the song. They should have left us wondering just how high he got launched here. But this is why I don't get to make cartoons.

8:47 Since I'm specifically watching for the cart now I notice that Sunny just made a lap around the whole town while making this delivery. I'd complain about the inefficiency but if you've ever tracked a package you know this is entirely realistic.

12:37 "Lunch at 1!" And an incomprehensible math problem.

15:51 I'm not sure anymore. Sunny's responsibilities at this smoothie business include closing up shop for the day. And the notes on the wall are about unicorn and pegasus themed flavor ideas. Those are absolutely her ideas.

17:58 That might be the same pony that was working in the cart while Sunny was making her delivery, but now he's working a completely different cart. The mystery deepens.

18:23 THERE HE IS AGAIN by Sunny's cart. And then he leaps to his doom. ... Well it's definitely Sunny's cart now.

20:35: "Oh no. I appear to be trapped." Yeah I just can't hate Sprout. There is a line where being a useless slacker becomes an art form, and he just crossed it.

20:48 Savor this moment forever. Sunny just did a proper mouth hold like nature intended. See animators, isn't this more fun?

12:14 Sunny has a muffin recipe, and it specifically calls for vegetable oil. I don't think we're going to see a random ham sandwich in this generation.

22:48 "I know what you're thinking." On this one occasion Izzy causes some minor chaos through her obliviousness, Pinkie Pie style. So writers aren't wrong when they have her do that. It happened here. It's just done well here.

22:49 Deep down Sprout knows what a messed up pile of complexes he is: Exhibit A. He absolutely loses it at the thought of a unicorn reading his mind.

25:52 "Depooty" Sprout is Customer of the Month somewhere. Maybe the pizza place. See he is achieving something in life.

31:54 This is exactly why Pipp is last in line to be queen.

32:09 This shot is a modern Renaissance painting. The look on Pipp's face as she wants her phone back, and the look on the queen's face as she can hear what Pipp's thinking. This is the kind of thing that was easy to miss before more G5 content came out. I never would have guessed I'd like Phone Pony so much but she's just too cute.

32:57 This is another interesting shot, seeing Sprout and Phyllis through bars. It can be annoying when shots try too hard to be clever, but in this case it actually is clever because they engineered a situation where this was genuinely a sensible place to put the camera. Sure they could have moved the camera closer and avoided the bars, but the unused space makes the two look lonely.

33:34 It has to be said that Sprout did not go insta villain when he became acting sheriff. It took two visits from Phyllis for him to realize the power he had. He's so used to being useless that the power never occurred to him until she came back to give him another nudge. And at this timestamp she's now literally giving him a nudge. Phyllis is the real monster. She set up all these dominoes and knocked them down.

Not that Sprout shouldn't be getting out there and calming ponies down. He is acting sheriff. But Phyllis is a little too sinister when she talks about destiny.

34:29 The newspaper's main story asks ponies if they've seen Balloon Pony. So someone did care about his plight. Below that is a story about Sunny "Starshine" helping a unicorn escape. Her name must have been changed fairly late.

34:36 And there's that cart pony again finally climbing back up, and he's falling to his doom again. Is there anyone in this movie that doesn't suffer repeatedly?

I still don't like this song. If a mob song doesn't at least halfway trick your lizard brain into thinking it wants to pick up a club and join in, it's not a good mob song.

35:42 That is not Sunny's cart tipping over.

37:59 Pipp is so light that the vibration of her phone is enough to slide her across the carpet. I know pegasuses are light but she is something else.

39:29 The mugshots.

40:35 Zipp has always been the detective.

44:00 Pipp is the favorite child.

44:27 "How can I help it? How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."

47:20 I really appreciate that Hitch just freezes for a bit before running away. Most of the time when someone in a cartoon loses their disguise they inexplicably don't realize it until they feel around and find out that it isn't there anymore. Hitch immediately knows he's caught, has an internal moment of "What do I do? What do I do?" and then runs away. It's a neat case of neither show nor tell. He doesn't say what he's thinking and he just stands there motionless, but we know what's going on in his head. I'm dwelling way too much on this and I doubt anybody cares but me, but it's another case of MLP having an obvious opportunity to do a standard dumb cartoon trope and simply refusing.

47:43 Poor Pipp. This is brutal now that she's turned out to be such a likable person.

47:54 Hey they stole my clingy rat gag.

48:33 Gotta love that the pegasuses' immediate reaction to finding out their royals are frauds is to arrest the queen.

49:16 Now the sisters are fugitives and Pipp's heart is broken. Zephyr Heights just had a revolution. G5's setting has absolutely no chill.

1:00:56 There is literally nothing wrong with mayonnaise.

1:13:18 It is obvious that this has gone horribly wrong and Phyllis is still proud. Phyllis is the real monster.

1:16:28 Hitch and Zipp get so many good scenes together...

1:18:47 Pacing is a funny thing. Somehow the ending actually would have felt less abrupt if they cut it shorter and had the crystals just work right now. Everyone is already working together. They earned it.

1:19:41 It is still not at all clear why Sprout isn't immediately running for his life. He's not too dumb to realize his failed attack has failed to inspire his army. His war is clearly not happening. But he should be expecting an angry mob heading his way any second now. The only thing that seems to be protecting him now is that everyone is too depressed to bother.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
LOL. I didn't expect my offhand comment about Sunny's maybe-smoothie cart would get someone to rewatch the movie. Not that it might take much, it's a solid time.

1:14 Having one of them go crazy is the best sendoff they could have given G4. It is still amusing that they picked Rarity.

I STILL wish they got Tabitha back to voice that scene. She would have NAILED a insane, evil Rarity.

1:00:56 There is literally nothing wrong with mayonnaise.

I DO wonder if there's LORE behind that. Could a it be that, after unicorns lost their magic, NO ONE was able to open a jar of mayonnaise, no matter what anyone tried, and it scarred everyone so deep it still haunts their descendants? Without their magic, unicorn's are reduced to biting the jar, or pounding on it with hammers and it still doesn't work...and then some pegasus that fell out of the sky shows them up and opens the jar like it's nothing (explaining why "wing" and "feather" are two other forbidden words.). Like...this jar of mayonnaise was a symbol of how helpless and powerless they had become, and was just the last straw for the unicorns.

Or it's just a joke, but that seems unlikely...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
LOL. I didn't expect my offhand comment about Sunny's maybe-smoothie cart would get someone to rewatch the movie. Not that it might take much, it's a solid time.

I don't need much of an excuse. This movie is really cute. I'll probably watch it again tomorrow.

I STILL wish they got Tabitha back to voice that scene. She would have NAILED a insane, evil Rarity.

It would have been nice to get the whole gang back for that scene, but budgets are a thing. And the corny dialog would have sounded even weirder if the voices were right. They wanted us to be caught off guard when Rarity goes crazy.

I DO wonder if there's LORE behind that. Could a it be that, after unicorns lost their magic, NO ONE was able to open a jar of mayonnaise, no matter what anyone tried, and it scarred everyone so deep it still haunts their descendants? Without their magic, unicorn's are reduced to biting the jar, or pounding on it with hammers and it still doesn't work...and then some pegasus that fell out of the sky shows them up and opens the jar like it's nothing (explaining why "wing" and "feather" are two other forbidden words.). Like...this jar of mayonnaise was a symbol of how helpless and powerless they had become, and was just the last straw for the unicorns.

Or it's just a joke, but that seems unlikely...

That could be a comic. Being unable to open the mayonnaise would be a terrible fate.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
That could be a comic. Being unable to open the mayonnaise would be a terrible fate.

Yes, it would. Now, imagine a huge, formal ceremony. A celebration...of the unicorns being able to open a jar of mayonnaise for themselves for the first time in a thousand years. Red carpets for the chosen unicorn. Somber, respectful songs like in a church. The tiniest, little "pop" of the opening jar bringing tears of joy. Old wounds...healing at last. And EVERYONE gets a sandwich!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'd be a new jar! Maybe buying it would be part of the ceremony, after they buy it from a Maretime Bay supermarket and having to bring it back to the unicorn village. With it being passed from unicorn to unicorn like a Olympic Torch! With Izzy explaining the backstory to Sunny as they watch this ceremony unfold before them, with Sunny being a little dumbfounded about this whole thing, since she JUST ate a mayo and lettuce sandwich for breakfast this morning.

This new holiday could only be called...Day'Onnaise!

(Why am I so fascinated by this weird headcanon?)

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I can picture Sunny's visible confusion. It's adorable.

@Destron, get in here. We need you to use your powers to make this an episode.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Now we just need a headcanon to explain their hooves and everything will be fine.

Top Bottom