"My Little Pony: A New Generation"....................(SPOILERS)

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
dendl8l-58e49fee-f834-4b39-b22f-812e0bbcb4ee.jpg

If we go with the theory that Zephyr Heights was built around former Canterlot, they may have inherited the best library in the world. The place is also very tough to attack, so they could develop their tech more generally instead of focusing on defense.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
All the pieces seem to be fitting together.

It's kinda sad. That whole era just blew away like dust, all forgotten.

Dvandom

Citizen
OTOH, this could be like the Ham Incident. The artist did a thing that wasn't meant to be in the lore.

---Dave

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
00:33 Twilight Sparkle? Did…did I just accidently start the wrong thing streaming? I mean, there are quite a few pony things on my Netflix list…so…huh!

Also, no MLP leitmotif? Booooooo!!!!

1:14 Uhh…Rarity? What’s up? She seems a bit out of character here.

So, yeah, even the first time watching it, I pretty much had the red pony pegged as the big bad. Love it or hate it, Netflix does not do subtle.

And somehow even the first time watching it, I pretty much had Ms. Cloverleaf pegged as the dragon.

That is one thing about this movie. I went through predicting several things and I was actually dissapointed when I turned out to be right. Like, they don’t even try to throw in a red herring or unforeseeable plottwist.

Sunny is cute, though.

4:26 Okay, about this postcard they send out into the world…it’s a nice moment and all, but I don’t think these two thought it out. They’re inviting unicorns and pegasi to their town offering friendship. Now, assuming some peppy purple pointy head unicorn with a penchent for putting perfectly picturistic balls on her head should actually take up their invitation some time down the line, you already know she’s only going to find 1 friend and a whole city full of earthponies absolutely terrified of her…WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS!

6:25 Wow! That’s the worst case of bedhead ever…and all she needs is a couple hair bands to fix it? How did she even braid her hair with her hooves.

Okay, throughout this montage I can’t help but notice her father’s not around…and he doesn’t appear throughout the rest of the movie. Sprout’s mother is still alive…so it wasn’t age. So…banished? Executed? Business trip? Dead? Let the wild mass guessing begin. My money’s on dead.

Especially since they just zoomed in on a picture of her father with his glasses right next to it.

And (running gag), she straightens the picture on her way out. So I guess FiM started a thing were every lead pony from here on out has to have OCD?

Aaaaaaand, music montage..the one constant for all MLP generations!

Ugg, not only is Sprout a bigot, he’s a dick to his own kind too!

You know, I’m all for anti-racist stories and all, but Netflix really is about as subtle as Pinkie Pie in a room full of Mauds.

So yeah, Hitch is totally the new Fluttershy. I mean, he’s not shy or anything…but he’s definitely got the animal thing going.

Okay, even the first time I watched it, I knew Sunny was going to do something cringe worthy at this get together. My question is, what on earth does she think is going to happen. I mean, has bursting up on stage and giving a speech ever worked for her. I mean, obviously not. It got her banned. She doesn’t think a change in tactics may be in order?

11:13 This grin…you already know it ain’t gonna end well.

I just figured it out. Phyllis Cloverleaf, I just figured out who she reminds me of. Remember the Fairie Godmother from Shrek 2? I mean, different voice actress of course…but those glasses, that sickenly sweet sweetness hiding a dark, malevolent nature? Am I the only one?

12:58 Poor balloon guy. I feel like I should keep count how many times we see him in this movie. Ding! +1

*sigh* Seriously, what does Sunny expect to happen?

14:25 Seriously…all that button pushing and “it has to go through the cycle” bs…they didn’t once think to pull the hugging power plug?

16:25 Hitch asks a fair question.

18:06 And here’s the star of the movie! Ain’t she adorable?

18:33 Yeah, Hitch, I think everyone knows by now that this is not a drill!

It’s just slime. I don’t think it’s seriously going to hurt you…or else Sunny would’ve already been screwed.

20:20 And now Sunny’s a fugitive. This escalated quickly.

Sure is a lot of collateral captures here.

Sunny does realize that Hitch knows where she lives, right? How long does she think they’ll be safe there?

I question Sprouts definition of “completely surrounded.”

So how many times is Sunny going to ask Izzy if she has any magic?

23:45
Sunny: What else do unicorns say about earthponies? (besides smelling like sardines)

Izzy: Oh, just that you’re lazy and not the brightest crystals in the forest.

Sunny: Charming!

Izzy: No, just those three.

*spit take* *lmao*

Music montage. *sigh*

25:24 Balloon pony sighting. +2

Okay, so Sunny and Izzy are in a foggy canyon when all of a sudden a shadowing figure zipps from place to place. I understand that this is supposed to be scary/suspensful…but even the first time watching it, I knew it was just going to be Zipps introduction. So…kinda falls flat?

28:52 The second star of the movie makes its first appearence. Izzy is never going to live that tennis ball down, I don’t care how many seasons G5 runs.

32:35 “What else could go wrong today?” WHY WOULD YOU ASK THAT!!!!!

34:00 Oh yay! Villian music montage. I mean, not that I have anything against villian music montages. “Open Up Your Eyes” and “Be Prepared” were awesome. But Sprout…I mean…ugh…Sprout! Not even a villian I love to hate. I just…ugh!

Netflix truly is as subtle as a rainbow acid trip in a “realistic brown” video game.

38:22 Aww! No more tennis ball? *is sad*

38:48 So…Hitch knows what pegasi feathers taste like? Are we not going to question that?

What is it with Hitch and animals? Were they really so hard up for a Fluttershy stand-in?

This whole sneaking in to Pipp’s performance, I almost expected a cardboard box and some pony have an exclamation point appear over their head.

Music performance. Actually, this one’s kinda catchy

47:27

52:27 “Maybe it’s for the best. Between you and me, buddy, that badge was creating an unhealthy power dynamic.”
Not so much what she said, but how she said it, is it any wonder why Izzy’s my favorite.

52:35 Can’t quite put my finger on it, but something’s not quite right with that bridge.

53:22 Balloon pony sighting +3

55:00 See? SEE!!??!!?? That one note from when Sunny was a child started all of this!!!

So, just taking stock of things: 2 earth ponies, 2 pegasi…1 single unicorn. Unicorns got hosed!

56:22 Oh hey! the MLP leitmotif. I totally missed that the first time. Cute! So it actually DID make an appearence.

Okay, yeah it’s another musical montage…but it’s Izzy…soooooo…forgiven?

And those glasses are so hugging cute!

What a cheery place!

Pony Dance Dance Revolution…is DDR actually still a thing? Cause I haven’t even seen it in a long while. Is it really still a thing?

So, one pep talk later and all of a sudden Sunny’s good at this.

And this song (It’s Alright) actually is my favorite on the soundtrack. Too bad it has such a small part here.

Yeah, who didn’t know that those forbidden words would come in handy? Nice that Hitch had a moment.

Okay, honestly, first time watching I knew something was up since there wasn’t an earthpony crystal in the mix. I mean, seriously, did anyone here not wonder at this point why there wasn’t an earthpony crystal and then were totally not surprised when this didn’t work?

Yup, what’s a kids movie without that one part where the hero’s hope is completely shattered and they go home totally defeated and not feeling like they can go on?

And of course you already know that the crystal has to be in Sunny’s house. Where else would it be?

Lamp…LAMP…LAAAAAAAAAMP!!!!!

Oh, the table sections move. If she figures it out, does she release the cenobites?

Oh, goosestepping and everything! Yeah, Netflix is about as subtle as a 40-day flood in a dessert.

Anyone want to join me in a round of singing “Wild Wild West?”

Hmm…still didn’t work. You don’t suppose it’s going to be one of those “the magic was inside you the whole time” things, do you? Nah! They wouldn’t do tha…DAMNIT!!!!

So…Sunny’s an alicorn now. Does that mean she’s a princess? How long before a new toy?

1:22:50
Sprout: Mommy, was I a good sheriff?

Phyllis: Uh, uh…look, a flying dog?

Me: Why has he not been slapped so much that his face is one big bruise? Someone please slap that twerp!

1:23:13 Balloon pony finally lands. +4

I really do wish Netflix wouldn’t pop up the suggestions right over the credits. If I wanted to back out of the credits, I know how to back out to the menu.

1:27:47 Oh good! “It’s Alright” plays in the credits as well. Don’t know why this song stuck out to me, but I do really enjoy it.

Shadewing

Citizen
So is it just me, or is Sprout Teddy's successor?

Also, I love his villian song. I don't know why, its not a great song... but its kinda fun and catchy.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Okay, so Caldwin, you know I care about you and I mean you no ill will. However I'm bout to be a mighty jerk here and respond to certain things in your post.

First up: While taken from wiki, I'm fairly certain this is correct information and that is:

Originally set to be released theatrically by Paramount Pictures, the film was instead released in most countries on Netflix on September 24, 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, while still being theatrically released in several Asian countries

It ended UP on Netflix. NETFLIX didn't pay for the movie. NETFLIX didn't have any SAY in the movie. To be blunt. NETFLIX didn't have any involvement in what went into the movie.

SO STOP WITH THE NETFLIX THIS AND THAT RANT.

THEY

DIDN'T

DO

ANYTHING.

Okay. Now that I have THAT out of my system.

Ponies breaking into music montages. I mean, I'm pretty sure you knew it was coming. What do you want from them? That's how these movies work. Either deal with it or don't watch them.

4:26 Okay, about this postcard they send out into the world…it’s a nice moment and all, but I don’t think these two thought it out. They’re inviting unicorns and pegasi to their town offering friendship. Now, assuming some peppy purple pointy head unicorn with a penchent for putting perfectly picturistic balls on her head should actually take up their invitation some time down the line, you already know she’s only going to find 1 friend and a whole city full of earthponies absolutely terrified of her…WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS!
I doubt the dad really thought anything would come of it, and even so. You've gotta try.

*sigh* Seriously, what does Sunny expect to happen?
Yeah, but at the very least she was talking to the young ponies. If you want to change things, you need to start with making the young ones see reason.

14:25 Seriously…all that button pushing and “it has to go through the cycle” bs…they didn’t once think to pull the hugging power plug?
So fun fact. People don't think logically or clearly when panicking. I'm really not sure how you haven't learned this. :p

38:48 So…Hitch knows what pegasi feathers taste like? Are we not going to question that?
Another fun fact. I yelled: "How do you know that!?" when it happened. ^^;

Music performance. Actually, this one’s kinda catchy
I have become obsessed with this song. Easily my favorite from the soundtrack. Also I've literally listened to nothing but the soundtrack on repeat to and from work for the past three days...

Yeah, who didn’t know that those forbidden words would come in handy? Nice that Hitch had a moment.
I still want to know what's wrong with Mayonnase.

Okay, honestly, first time watching I knew something was up since there wasn’t an earthpony crystal in the mix. I mean, seriously, did anyone here not wonder at this point why there wasn’t an earthpony crystal and then were totally not surprised when this didn’t work?
Much as I love the movie, I can't fault this question. Also uh, the Pegasai were chasing the queen. (How'd she escape anyway?) And the Unicorns were after them, and when the crystal pairing doesn't work, everyone just kinda walks off? Like uh no? Didn't you come to capture the Queen and the two princesses? Weren't you after the pegasus crystal? Hello? Guys?

Last thing I want to comment on is how there didn't seem to be any plot twists. Well that's likely where you and I differ the most. Man am I ever glad it was just a straight forward fun film. I'm sorry but I'm sick of the 'forced twists' movies try for now a days.

Disney with their stupid twist villains. It rarely works, and for Frozen I just find it insulting. At least Frozen 2 was better. Then again Frozen 2 was just better outright in my opinion so again my trash taste rears it's ugly head.

Like I don't even know what kind of twist we could have even gotten. What? Sunny's dad was secretly Sombra this entire time? When you try to force a twist it usually ends up stupid. I just want to have fun watching the movie, and I had fun watching the movie. I don't need the writers trying to pull one over on me. When you do that you end up with BS horror movies where. "There was no monster. The mother was just an alcoholic." That's dumb. DUMB. Stop it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, yeah, even the first time watching it, I pretty much had the red pony pegged as the big bad. Love it or hate it, Netflix does not do subtle.
His name didn't stick with me right away so I'm forever going to call him Biff.

He was a boring, unremarkable villain. But, I don't hate that they never pretended he wasn't going to be. Animated movies love their twist villains, and I'm kinda tired of them.
This movie may be predictable and unsubtle, but there is a charm to that sometimes.

Sunny is cute, though.
Everyone's focusing on Izzy, but Sunny really is precious.

He assumed nopony would ever answer it, but it would make Sunny happy right now. Would you not make Sunny happy right now?

And (running gag), she straightens the picture on her way out. So I guess FiM started a thing were every lead pony from here on out has to have OCD?
The lead pony has OCD and the orange earth pony has no parents.

Okay, even the first time I watched it, I knew Sunny was going to do something cringe worthy at this get together. My question is, what on earth does she think is going to happen. I mean, has bursting up on stage and giving a speech ever worked for her. I mean, obviously not. It got her banned. She doesn’t think a change in tactics may be in order?
She thinks she can sing a song and solve this problem in 22 minutes.

And she has practiced her speech in front of a mirror many times.

It’s just slime. I don’t think it’s seriously going to hurt you…or else Sunny would’ve already been screwed.
It's not just any slime.

It's Gak.

Sunny: What else do unicorns say about earthponies? (besides smelling like sardines)

Izzy: Oh, just that you’re lazy and not the brightest crystals in the forest.

Sunny: Charming!

Izzy: No, just those three.

*spit take* *lmao*
This movie's plotting may be entirely predictable, but we have to give it credit for comedic timing. There's a lot of these little moments. Most of them involving Izzy but not all.

What is it with Hitch and animals? Were they really so hard up for a Fluttershy stand-in?
You know what's fun about it? We don't know what is it with Hitch and animals, and neither does he. He has animal magnetism but is still very 'Not sure if want' about it. Animals aren't his passion like they are for Fluttershy. They just flock to him. And there is no escape.

Yup, what’s a kids movie without that one part where the hero’s hope is completely shattered and they go home totally defeated and not feeling like they can go on?
I do need to focus on this part. There are times like this when it feels like every animated movie. But, I actually feel like that's an accomplishment. This is Hasbro's latest toy commercial and at times it just feels like every other animated movie.

So…Sunny’s an alicorn now. Does that mean she’s a princess? How long before a new toy?
Hasbro, still trying to ship their wave 1 toys: "Wait, already?"

It's definitely an odd move if this is permanent already.

1:23:13 Balloon pony finally lands. +4
I was reminded of STOMP's mayor the whole time.

Caldwin

Citizen
Vid, with all the branding and promotion under the Netflix name, it's an easy mistake to make. Sorry for the mistake, but back the hug off!

And while I will agree that plot twist for the sake of plot twists has been overdone and can fall flat...at the same time it can be kinda boring when you have the entire (or most of) movie figured out well in advance.

Other than that, yeah I can see your points. The father probably didn't think any of it and the chain of events ultimately made everything better. Still...poor Izzy!

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Vid, with all the branding and promotion under the Netflix name, it's an easy mistake to make. Sorry for the mistake, but back the hug off!
Yeah, sorry for the extreme reaction, but spending the entire post reading about you lumping it in with all the 'other' movies that it actually has nothing to do with was... annoying to say the least. Also I figure you guys know by now I'll have a text reaction like that on the boards, but am actually a lot calmer behind the scenes.

I'm going to assume you didn't care that much about the movie as it came, because it was made very clear that Hasbro was making it and it wasn't connected to Netflix like... since season 9 was about to end...

I can see why you'd feel that way about the plot and I can't really fault you for that. I know I'm different in that regard, because yes I knew basically how things would go, but the fun came from seeing how THESE characters got there. I got to meet and learn about them, see their world. Watch them interact. You know me. I love my character writing. I was never bored.

And again, I'd rather have that then TRYING to shove a twist in there, because sometimes (Or most in my experience) they don't work and ruin it.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
It's not just any slime.

It's Gak.
Second post. Let's start with this. "Coffeehorse" kindly go seat yourself in the corner!

Still...poor Izzy!
Speaking of poor Izzy. Here's something Estories noticed:

It links to a pic of Izzy's song. On the mirror you can see a card that says "Happy birthday to ME"

Izzy had to make her own birthday card because she didn't have any friends before...

Yeah I'm starting to feel really glad Sunny sent that lantern out. :cry:

Caldwin

Citizen
Actually, I (mostly) enjoyed the movie, even with its predictability. The only thing that grated on my nerves......

Look, I know some Aesops need told. Racism bad, drugs bad, strangers bad, etc. etc. etc.

But there does come a point of getting so heavy handed that it's like "enough already. I get the hugging point!"

But I did actually enjoy the movie. Hell, I watched it twice already. I realize my play by play might have seemed really critical, but I did enjoy the movie.

it just got a bit too "beat you over the head with the aesop" in some points. I don't like being preached at by my entertainment.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I finally got around to watching the movie. It’s good! I like it. The characters are charming and a lot of fun. The quick pacing makes for a fun and eventful romp around the world as it currently is. And we even get a few fun callbacks to previous generations (I even saw a REAL quick reference to G1 in a store windows TVs! I don’t think I noticed anything for Tales or G3, though. Maybe Sunny's rollerskates for Tales... ) And it manages not to be TOO preachy, which I was a little worried about. It’s definitely not subtle, but I wasn’t cringing the entire movie, either, so…I’ll take that as a win.

Izzy is best pone. This is not up for debate. Though, I’ll admit, Sunny is a close second. And, really, everyone in this movie is pretty adorable. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the change to 3D, but it works here. The world, characters, and animation are all just beautifully done. And there’s…SO many fun little moments in this movie. The tennis ball, “this is not my kid”, pegasi on wires, Izzy telling people about their “auras”, the mecha pony (complete with bobble head!), CRYSTALS, and a phony pony full of baloney . This movie’s just a lot of fun.

Now, being a fanboy, I do have my share of quibbles, too. But, I think they are mostly quibbles, and mostly not full-on problems.

First up…the movie feels a little incomplete in places to me. Like there were a few scenes they SHOULD have put in the movie to help it flow just a little bit better. There's some very quick edits at play here, and while those DO help keep the pacing nice and snappy, I wish they'd linger on a few scenes a little longer.It would have been nice to SEE Izzy get Sunny’s letter back when they’re both foals, even though the reveal is kind of nice. It also would have been nice to see more of a transition from Pipp being whiny on the trip to enjoying it more. She…kind of just falls in line eventually, after getting her “aura” read by Izzy. And it would have been nice to know what Zipp was up to out in the badlands before she met Sunny and Izzy. Was she...just doing parkour or rock climbing, or what? And…I’m not sure if we should have seen Sunny’s dad’s “death” or not. I’m not even sure if he’s dead or if he’s just on some research trip or something.

And it seems like everyone travels REALLY fast to each other’s towns, even though they…probably shouldn’t even know how to get there? And they seem awful close to each other to be at constant odds with each other. I know that’s mostly just a time and plot contrivance thing, so…yeah, I’ll let it slide I guess.

I can’t believe that Rarity destroyed the world…okay I can. Seriously, though, it kind of a shame they didn’t let Tabitha do the “Evil Rarity” scene herself, because she would have nailed that. It was neat how that scene was kinda-sorta in the style of the G4 movie.

Oh, and then there’s that ending. They kind of want to have their cake and eat it too, with the crystals and all. “The magic was inside US all along” *crystals do their thing finally* “Oh, it just took a little for them to warm up, nevermind, the magic WAS in the crystals, after all”.

While I DO like the new songs, and a few of them are kind of catchy…they do feel a little more auto-tuned this time around than before. Maybe it’s just the musical styles they chose, but they feel a bit more…”corporate” this time around.

And, of all the main characters, I have to say, Pipp gives me the least to like. All the old tropes Rarity managed to avoid, Pipp seems to rush into headlong. Hopefully, I end up liking her more in the show-proper, but right now, the excitable celebrity shtick is a little uninteresting to me. I WILL apologize to Zipp, though. I apologize for thinking she looked evil. She actually turned out to be the least-evil of the two siblings. Maybe a little too down-to-earth and practical, she really didn't get many memorable lines or quirks or anything, but she's still likable, in her way.

And there’s a serious focus on comedy in this movie. Maybe a little bit too much? I’m not sure if the villain is too pathetic to be a “real” villain or not. I guess he makes for a decent first villain. Still, it’s a constantly barrage of gags and sillyness, which, while fun, might be a lot for some people. Everything feels a little more tongue-in-cheek, winking-at-the-camera, this time around. Also…I think Harry Trotter is canon, now, if I’m making out one of the movie posters right.

Honestly, the biggest problem I have with the movie is…MAYBE they shouldn’t have tied it to G4? The ties to G4 kind of does make it feel like the Mane 6 failed, somehow, even though it seems like there’s been a few thousand years between generations, this time around, if the Treehouse of Harmony is anything to go by. I understand why they tied it to G4 ($$$), but I think the movie and probably the series itself probably would stand just find on it’s own.

I’ll admit, I have…several questions about how the world ended up like this. Where did these Magic crystals come from? What happened to the animals, we didn’t have flying dogs or rats before? Why do critters like Hitch so much, is this just a gag or is he Fluttershy’s descendant or something? And then there’s the biggest one, which the movie doesn’t answer at ALL…what happened between the three races? I didn’t really expect that last one to get answered in this movie, but I was kind of expecting them to hint at…something, anyway. But, we really don’t even get a hint, as far as I noticed, anyway.

And…is Sunny a alicorn or not, now? I get the feeling she’s still going to have to earn the “full” alicorn upgrade in the show. So…what do we call THIS? Ali-could? Abri-corn (as in Abridged Alicorn, also Abra-Kadabra as in it’s magic)?

Oh, and then there’s the VERY end. I wonder what they’re teasing for the Earth ponies? Just being able to grow things, or are they going to be the metaphoric “heart” connecting everyone else? Or are they going to be making the land, itself, more magical as the series goes on? Like making magical forests or plants or something? Or was that just a cute visual with no grand plans behind it at all?

But…yeah. I liked it. I’m looking forward to the show in…2022…*sigh*. It’s going to be such a long wait. Although, I am a little disappointed that we didn’t really get to hear what the new-show’s theme would be. I really thought they’d play it over the end credits or something.
It links to a pic of Izzy's song. On the mirror you can see a card that says "Happy birthday to ME"

Izzy had to make her own birthday card because she didn't have any friends before...
Just my take, but I think it's less that Izzy didn't have any friends, and more that NO unicorn celebrates ANYTHING in their Emo-Town. Too busy pouting and writing poetry.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
I'm fine with them not exploring how and why the races became divided; gives the series something they can explore. Its an easy seasonal hook.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It is a little surprising that we didn't get any explanation for what happened. It's the biggest thing to happen in the timeline since the races came together in the first place and we don't have a clue what happened. Maybe the show will address it or maybe IDW begged to a prequel story or maybe it's going to remain a big mystery.

The movie ends up being bittersweet that way. It's straightforward and lighthearted and funny, but something horrible happened in the background and they don't even know it happened to them.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I was, at most, expecting a torn painting or a villain stinger at the end. Some kind of teaser. But...now I'm wondering if that's even what the series-proper even wants to focus on?
I mean, some version of G1 is also "canon" to G4, but we never really got a bridge story to fill in that timeskip. Hasbro might just leave it as background lore. Which...would be a mistake, I think.

Because, now there's this shadow hanging over this generation. This isn't just some bad thing that happened. This is a bad thing that happened to characters people still care a lot about, and whose show only ended a few years ago. The fans WILL NOT shut up about this, if they don't explain this eventually. Even if they really had no plans to. If the first season comes and goes and the "final boss" is...Cyber Sprout or something, I think people are going to get MAD. And they might not have gotten so mad, if this was just it's own thing instead. (...Okay, if the villain turns out to the Sprout, again, people will get mad, regardless, please don't do that.)

Also...Hasbro is just kind of weird about long-term plans sometimes. I'm looking at you, the Thirteen, which we really only know anything about thanks to a glorified artbook, instead of ANY of the TV shows, really (they're mostly unnamed shadowy figures in most of the shows they show up in). Also, Aligned Grimlock(s). They like to have this long-running background lore in their shows...but are kind of terrible at actually executing it a lot of the time. If they're trying to make the Mane 6 this generation's Thirteen or like the Morphin Masters over in Power Rangers...we might be in for a VERY drawn out explanation.

And part of me is still wondering if they're looking at copying the model Dreamworks' Trolls is using. This movie isn't the exact same as the first Trolls movie, but I still feel like it's got a few similar beats to it. I have to wonder if Hasbro isn't at least thinking about making another big CG pony movie, because Hasbro seems to REALLY want to make more movies. So, I wonder if Hasbro will keep any big revelations close to their chests until they can make New Generation 2. Which means, much like Trolls, the actual TV show will focus more on fleshing out the characters they introduced in the movie, as well as maybe adding a few new things that they can kind of sweep away before the second movie hits.

Why do I keep bringing up the Trolls franchise? Well...I actually watched through The Beat Goes On show, and it had a few good episodes. Kind of a fusion of Pony and Smurfs, in a way. It's just been on my mind, I guess. Plus, the movie followed up by a Netflix show (and then maybe another movie followed up by a slightly refocused show) kind of just reminds me of that format. There's no real reason to think Hasbro will take the same course....but I see similarities, here. Probably apophenia, but...*shrug*

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
So will there be a show after this? Or just specials every quarter or something?

Hitch is the best. Izzy is great too but Hitch is more new/original since Izzy is Pinkie Pie ish.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yes a show is coming, and I wouldn't be surprised if another movie comes out at some point. I don't know to gauge the success of a movie on Netflix, but at least critically this has been a success, and Hasbro really needs that right now.

Top Bottom