The MST3K thread by Gizmonics

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
As much as I would have preferred Kevin, I understand why they had to go with J Elvis. Still it was a nice throwback and I'm kinda wondering if he will still have his 'MIGHTY VOICE' at the beginning of Emily's next episode.

As far as the movie goes, it reminds me of something that could have been a pilot movie for a TV series in the 90's. Could tell the people involved were invested in making something, they just lacked the budget and skill to pull it off effectively.

Dvandom

Citizen
Most of the skill seems to have been behind the camera. The people doing the acting were probably technical people primarily, rather than actors as a primary vocation.

---Dave

electricidad

Citizen
Most of the skill seems to have been behind the camera. The people doing the acting were probably technical people primarily, rather than actors as a primary vocation.

---Dave
After watching that conversation with the creators, it seems the passion and know how is kind of there, but the budget simply wasn't.

I really like this season's format. I hope they shuffle hosts for future seasons. I get that Joel is likely a one-time thing; I just like the randomness of never quite knowing who the host will be. It's like buying a blind box of something, but you're totally cool with whatever you get.

IMG_2582.jpeg

Ungnome

Citizen
Kinda wondering if the Holiday Special will count as the second episode or if we're getting a second full episode with Joel.

Ungnome

Citizen
Heck, I was surprised to see a "The Critic" riff of all things in this episode "BUY MY BOOK!". The transformer sound they made when Gamera was pulling in his extremities was a nice touch, too.

It has to be my favorite episode of the season and not just because my backer credit showed up in this one.

Season 13 is firing on all cylinders.

Ungnome

Citizen
Turkey Day 2022 is almost here. Starts at 7 AM eastern. They will be showing two season 13 episodes for those who haven't seen them("Santo and the Treasure of Dracula" and "Beyond Atlantis") starting at 3PM eastern. I'm personally hoping for a season 14 announcement. 13 has been a rather strong season overall.

electricidad

Citizen
I’m only caught up as far as “Shape of Things to Come” for season 13, but I second your comment on season 13’s overall strength. Each episode has laugh out loud moments. They’re really onto something with the multiple hosts. Everything they’ve tried this season has just worked for me.

“Meanwhile, at Netflix…”
(Person hits a cancel button)

Ungnome

Citizen
Heh, wait till you see The Bubble. I think it might just be the strongest episode of the season. Definitely in my top 3 for season 13.

Dvandom

Citizen
Sadly, the livechat wasn't included in the later stream. (I couldn't watch the finale live because I had to be at graduation ceremonies Friday night.) Apparently the makers of Christmas Dragon were part of it.

---Dave

Ungnome

Citizen
I think plans changed on that. They ended up showing the interview section from their season 13 finale live show instead.

They have confirmed that season 14 is planned, but no word yet on how they are handling funding for it or their estimated timeframe. Wonder if 14 will be set in the not to distant future or 1991.

Ungnome

Citizen
Heads up, Season 13 episodes are going into the MST3K PlutoTV channel starting March 1st for those who don't have access to them on the Gizmoplex. It's a strong season, easily beats 11 and 12(Netflix era) and holds it's own against much of the Comedy Central and SciFi era as well.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Heads up, Season 13 episodes are going into the MST3K PlutoTV channel starting March 1st for those who don't have access to them on the Gizmoplex. It's a strong season, easily beats 11 and 12(Netflix era) and holds it's own against much of the Comedy Central and SciFi era as well.

Nice! I didn't spring for Gizmoplex, but frequently watch old reruns on Pluto. Be nice to get some new material on there!

Ungnome

Citizen
Fund drive for season 14 has started.
Looks like they are planning to do their AI remastering on up to 36 episodes in addition to up to 12 new full length episodes and shorts. Physical sets are also returning this time around(YAY!). Who's leaving and who's returning hasn't been announced yet due to the SAG/AFTRA strike, unfortunately.

I, personally, thought season 13 was pretty strong overall and am looking forward to see what they can do in the future.

Dvandom

Citizen
They're doing the funding a little more a la carte now too...if all you want is the physical disks and not a Gizmoplex pass, you can do that now. Oddly, there is not (yet, anyway) an add-on option for people who want box sets for S13 because they missed the last round.

---Dave

Ungnome

Citizen
So they announced the first movie they've cleared for Season 14 and it's a doozy.
Battle Beyond the Stars
I can just hear the A-Team and Waltons references now.

Ungnome

Citizen
Second movie announced
Deathsport
I don't think I've seen any of this one, unlike the previous announcement, but it's another Roger Corman movie and MST3K generally does pretty well with those :LOL:. Looks like a mashup of Deathrace and Warrior of the Lost World.

Top Bottom