The MST3K thread by Gizmonics

Dvandom

Citizen
Did anyone else get a couple of instances of the sound cutting in and out for a few seconds?

---Dave

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yes, the second half Crow was better than the first half. My understanding is something happened behind the scenes regarding Nate Beagle, who was supposed to voice Emily's Crow and they had to redub several of her episodes with the new voice actor, since Nate had already recorded the riffs for those.

Getting used to the new Crow voice aside, was a rather strong episode overall and a truly bonkers movie.

Ungnome

Citizen
Heads up, EVERY classic season episode they currently have secured streaming rights for is now available to stream on the Gizmoplex site, even if you didn't back the Kickstarter. Just have to create a free account.

Ungnome

Citizen
4th episode has been released. Always hard to riff a movie that was intended to be a comedy, but they made it work. Host segments seemed a little weaker this episode than in the previous 3, but the riffs are still great. 13 is shaping up to be one of the best seasons yet.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I had trouble watching some of the straight kid film parts of the film because they were just so abysmally cringey. The parts with Munchie though, wow. That is a thing that deserved riffing. When he first shows up and everyone on the riff team just starts screaming was wonderful and I felt exactly the same.

ZacWilliam, I also like the decent from Gremlins to Hobgoblins being charted.

Ungnome

Citizen
Lol, didn't it. It's like someone watched Gremlins, Back to the Future and A Christmas Story and said, yea, lets do all of these movies at once.

electricidad

Citizen
Looking forwards to Jeffrey Combs as Not Doctor Strange next month.

---Dave
I KNOW. This is the one movie I'm looking forward to the most.

Beyond Atlantis was my favorite so far of this season. Perfect MST3K movie. Emily just nailed it, and they got A LOT of mileage out of East Eddie. I'm teaching SAT prep with my sophomores next year, so I kind of wish this was a real thing.

IMG_2468.jpeg

Ungnome

Citizen
Frankly, if Emily can keep performing as well as she is, she might just become my favorite host.

Ungnome

Citizen
Episode 5 dropped tonight. It's the second Emily episode released so far and while the sketches weren't quite as strong as in her first outing(hard to beat Mother Crabber), the riffs were strong(The Richard Pryor's memoir riff really got me) and Kelsey's crow seems much better this time around, plus Jeffrey Combs in a lead role. This season is almost halfway over and even if it ended right now, I'd say it's better than the Netflix era by a decent degree.

Next up: Joel's first episode in nearly 30 years and the most recent movie MST3K has riffed to date(film released in 2019)

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I kept being struck with the thought that Jeffery Combs at that age looked like what you'd get if David Tennant and Bruce Cambell were combined in a teleporter accident.

-ZacWilliam, this was a bad film that was fun to watch in all the right ways for MST3K. Good episode.

electricidad

Citizen
Good MST3K episode of an incredibly slow movie. There's a villain from the X-Files, a philosopher's stone, the voice of Rachet, some kooky New Yawk neighbors and a dull action sequence involving a dino skeleton. It's everything a Doctor Strange movie could be, if it was made over a weekend with no budget.

They sure made a fine meal out of the whole landlord plot point.

And Dr. Erhardt! Promising to bring back a classic host! Huzzah!!!

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
What would happen if you drained the Dresden Files of all decent writing, all acting ability and all budget?

ZacWilliam, I think it'd go a little like Demon Squad...

Ungnome

Citizen
Either wasn't a professional grade camera or a very inexperienced cinematographer, possibly both. Not often the cgi effects were better than the actual footage.

Dvandom

Citizen
They did answer a bunch of technical questions, including the brand of the camera (it was a SLR dedicated camera at 1080p), but most of the gear was "whatever the people involved personally owned." And yes, that bar used to be a Pizza Hut.

---Dave

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
I’ve never been a big fan of J Elvis’s Servo but I friggen cheered when he came back. Also the old doorway sequence? *chefs kiss*

I kinda unironically enjoyed the movie. It could have been decent with a budget.

Top Bottom