The MST3K thread by Gizmonics

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Season 13 is upon us! Rather excited at this point. Ready to see how Jonah and the bots handle a movie about a time travelling luchador from the 1960's fighting vampires in the distant past. Even more excited for the Gamera movie they will be riffing in July.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Same here. Got my 6 month Gizmoplex subscription from the Kickstarter and I am here for it!

Dvandom

Citizen
I expect fan art of the breakout new character, White Dot, to start showing up soon.

---Dave

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
Wow what a trip! Props to everyone through working through the Great White Dot Disaster of 2022!

As for the show…
I was a little disappointed about the use of Greenscreen, especially on Moon 13.

Other than that, it was goddamn fantastic. What a absolute trip that film was! The riffing was much better paced than the Netflix seasons and absolutely on point. They’re back people! They Are Back!

Dvandom

Citizen
Given how much trouble they had just getting Crow into the hands of performers (as outlined in the chat session after the movie), I doubt complete sets would have survived the trip. Perils of producing during COVID.

---Dave

Ungnome

Citizen
Yes the green screen sets are my least favorite aspect of this season so far, but we live in strange times, so I'll learn to live with it and with any luck, physical sets will return for season 14(if there is one). The riff writing is on point so far this season and the wrestling sweet talk sketch was brilliant.

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
Honestly if everything else - the writing, the cleverness, the bad films - are as on point as this episode was, I will gladly live with the Green Screen.

Though they do need to clean up Moon 1 a bit.

Ungnome

Citizen
We shall see. Next new episode drops on April 1st(appropriately) and it will feature 90's cheese and giant robots.

Dvandom

Citizen
WhiteDot.JPG

---Dave

KevinSig

I live in a lake. Its wet.
Citizen
I just hope better streaming options become available soon, my computer isn’t set up for comfortable watching & neither is my phone.

Ungnome

Citizen
There's an MST3K app available for Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick and some Samsung TV's. I used the Roku app to watch it yesterday. Apparently it will also work on the PS4's web browser. Console apps aren't currently being developed, unfortunately.

KevinSig

I live in a lake. Its wet.
Citizen
Will have to look into the web browser, but I don’t have any of the other stuff

electricidad

Citizen
FINALLY got around to watching the season premier. I am SO HAPPY this is back. Patton Oswalt called the movie in this episode "Bugf--- crazy." He was not exaggerating. El Santo builds a time machine + scientists make fun of him + he sends a friend through the time machine = Dracula.

The riffs felt better paced compared to the gauntlet season. The green screen was most noticeable for me during the mad's host segment, but I got used to it. There was a QR code to offer feedback, but I didn't feel I had anything meaningful to offer. I'll very likely pay for the Gizmoplex every year.

Thing I really liked: Tom Servo singing the theme song! Because of course he is. It fits the character, and I suspect this is a piece of necessity given how this season will feature different hosts. There was something about this movie--It felt like late season Joel or Mike. Maybe this is me projecting because of Sampson v Vampire Women? (Which is one of the go-to episodes in our house.) To me, it felt like a logical extension of the Jonah seasons, but it wouldn't have been out of place on Comedy Central.

Ungnome

Citizen
Mary Jo Phel and J Elvis Weinstein are both permanent members of the writing staff this season. Having two more seasoned riffers on the team definitely helps.

Ungnome

Citizen
Brand spankin' new short tomorrow along with the livestream of Manos. The shorts are generally awesome and, outside a couple of special events, I think this is the first time we've had a proper stand-alone short episode(wonder if it will have a host segment or JUST be the riffed short).

Ungnome

Citizen
Episode 2 has dropped. good episode overall, though I thought it was a bit weaker than the previous one. Felt the riffs were better in the second half than the first, though the robot mechanic bit during the opening credits of the movie was great. The David Attenborough bits were fantastic as well.

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
So episode 3 aired, the first one with Emily as our host.

And I somehow missed that Crow has a new voice actress too. Yes you read that right. The new voice caught me completely off guard. Not sure I’m a fan - it’s too scratchy. And so different. Was not prepared. We’ll see.

-edit-
More then halfway through the episode now. Whenever Crow isn’t doing a milhouse impression, she sounds fine. She may just be having New Crow issues like Bill Corbett had back in the start of the SciFi era. She’s very funny.

Emily and Toms new voice are fantastic, and the riffs are still on point.

Last edited:

Top Bottom