Ms Marvel on D+ June 8

Dvandom

Citizen
They're taking the basic "ClanDestine have Djinn ancestry" idea and running with just that much. It lets them avoid Inhumans entirely, still have "inherited powers that can be activated" as a plot point, and keep Kamran as someone who shares an origin with Kamala (in the comics, Kamran was another Inhuman). It lets them expand the MCU just a little bit, and if the series had gone over as poorly as Inhumans did, they wouldn't have closed off another huge power origin.

---Dave

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
That felt like a really short episode. Last ep felt like it had a bunch of filler while this one the primary threat just kinda... shows and goes. We still have an entire episode left and it feels like its going to be used to set up new conflicts rather than the stunning conclusion to the one we already had and should have spent the final episode on. Or even a whole episode in general

Dvandom

Citizen
Well, this was the emotional/family climax of the season, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the "new conflict" is actually the old conflict transplanted. The threat to the world is not over, it's just been moved from Karachi to Jersey City.

---Dave

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I woulda preferred to see more like.. consequences for the DoDC lady. She just kinda got off light it feels after everything and we don't even see how DoDC tries to do damage control on their damage control. DoDC creep in the end comes off as more reasonable but still a creep, actually maybe not more reasonable he was mostly mad at the bad optics.

Dropping that musical sting is going to launch a bunch of theory videos but more its a really big kinda like... you can't just not pay that off at this point? Like Prof X in another world was one thing but you directly refrencing Xmen in the main MCU timeline is kinda of the thing you have to make good on.

Not sure why Captain Marvel got her places swapped with K. I still find her a kind of lame super hero but it was amusing at least to see her look around and immediately be like "Oh no, this is the worst place in existance I could have ended up an obsessed fans bedroom"

One thing I didn't notice from the posters and shots before is that her superhero outfit is clearly designed with accents to make her look slimmer and have a more "super heroine" physique. Which like feels weird for a 16 yo character? Like if its a 20 something and they actually have that figure or even if that's just what they wanna go for sure but it felt a bit strange when I noticed they were clearly trying to make her look like she had a thinner waist.

Last edited:

Echowarrior

Citizen
One thing I didn't notice from the posters and shots before is that her superhero outfit is clearly designed with accents to make her look slimmer and have a more "super heroine" physique. Which like feels weird for a 16 yo character? Like if its a 20 something and they actually have that figure or even if that's just what they wanna go for sure but it felt a bit strange when I noticed they were clearly trying to make her look like she had a thinner waist.

That might've been deliberate on her mother's part, a way to help confuse people about her identity.

Dvandom

Citizen
Yes, the musical sting was clearly a modification of the "classic" song, if instantly recognizable to fans.

G. Willow Wilson is credited as herself...I'm guessing she was one of the phone screen montage people near the end? Or was she in the crowd scene?

---Dave

RCX

Citizen
That's what they are calling it now, the "X-Men '97 theme." That's how it was referenced in the DS2 credits also.
Must be a legal thing with Disney/marvel and the original creators/composer of the 92' cartoon, now that Disney owns it and the sequel to that series in the works D+.
I think it's a stroke of genius to use that couple seconds of music to signify whenever something X-Men-y appears until the big reveal. That version of the X-Men is probably the most fondly remembered by fans, and even casual viewers might remember it. That sting is iconic in nerd-dom. And I love that they are making Kamala a mutant. It's what she would've/should've been anyway.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
Yes, I agree. I know when watching MOM in theaters me and my roommate marked out hearing that musical sting. I am all for them if they want to incorporate that into whatever the MCU's actual theme will be.

As for Kamala:

I get the idea of making her Inhuman in the comics, it gives Marvel a popular and active Inhuman for them to try and build interest in them. But... the Inhumans are just... never gonna be a thing. They're not that interesting, they are incredibly insular, and no matter how Badass you try to make Blackbolt, he largely seems to only ever exist to get jobbed. Making her a mutant does the exact same thing making her Inhuman does, except that its putting her in a group people already like. And the way they handle it here? Is perfect, they make sure Kamala stands /completely/ on her own as her own hero, and then reveal that she's got likely a dormant mutant gene (all cons that would come with it, with none of the benefits), that needed the Bracelet's power to activate. Maybe in the future we might see more of comic Kamala's powers show up, now that she's a confirmed Mutant.

Dessl0ck

Citizen
That's what they are calling it now, the "X-Men '97 theme." That's how it was referenced in the DS2 credits also.
Must be a legal thing with Disney/marvel and the original creators/composer of the 92' cartoon, now that Disney owns it and the sequel to that series in the works D+.
I think it's a stroke of genius to use that couple seconds of music to signify whenever something X-Men-y appears until the big reveal. That version of the X-Men is probably the most fondly remembered by fans, and even casual viewers might remember it. That sting is iconic in nerd-dom. And I love that they are making Kamala a mutant. It's what she would've/should've been anyway.

X-Men '97 is the name of the new series, that's the only reason its listed that way, as it is slightly changed from the original to match the new show

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Just saw ep5 and 6. Yeah, ep5 would have made a better ending, since the Clandestine were a bigger threat. Still, kinda sad that all they wanted was to go home and some of them had to die. Very tragic about the past death. They should have worked it out :(

Ep6, I was sorta yelling nooooo when he started attacking. He didn't need to be a villain, c'mon. He should have been told from the start about the circumstances, ugh.
Are the powers the same? They seem sorta the same.

Looove the extra scene. Would make for some silly hijinks. Else Kamala dies from no air to breathe?

Shadewing

Citizen
I don't think he's really a villian at this point, I think he's just doing what is natural for someone in his situation. And even he seems to realize he nearly messed up with throwing the car. He's a minority kid, that had just been locked up, family abandoned him, family died, and is now being hunted like he's a dangerous animal... of course he's gonna lash out, but he never tells Kamala off for saving them or stopping him. He doesn't have control of his powers, and is mostly scared and angry as any teen in his position would be.

Like Marvel is known for giving heroes villians that are dark relflections of them, more so in MCU. Iron Monger, Yellow Jacket, Killmonger, but here they seem to swerve away from that. Its kinda built up like they're gonna have to fight as he starts getting violent, that they're ideals are gonna clash... and they never do. They part on, at worst, neutral terms but aren't enemies.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I would understand if he was really not in control of his powers but there were times when it looked like he did. He created a crystal pole to target an enemy directly (under a car attack?) and he aimed a barrage at another guy (which Kamala had to protect with a shield).

Oh, the thief kid really did break his leg after all.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Late to the party on this one, but I finally binged the whole thing from start to finish. While not perfect (there were way too many antagonists groups to split the focus on and juggle around in just six episodes), it was really good IMHO. The true heart of the series definitely lay in the family and all the drama, love, and history between them.

Now, call me an ignoramus if you will, but the last episode had that warning message about some content in it being disturbing for some people, and I didn't really notice anything that bad in it. Was it just the idea of Damage Control attacking the kids at the school while the civilians stand by in protest being a potential analogy for police brutality and/or school shootings? If so, I've seen much worse than how it was depicted here.

I would understand if he was really not in control of his powers but there were times when it looked like he did. He created a crystal pole to target an enemy directly (under a car attack?) and he aimed a barrage at another guy (which Kamala had to protect with a shield).
Aiming brute force attacks in a single direction is not the same thing as having the full ability to actually control and manipulate said attacks.

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
It was a matter of timing, the last episode dropped very shortly after Uvalde.

---Dave

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Just a heads up. The first 3 episodes of Ms Marvel are going to air on ABC tonight. With the last 3 airing next Saturday night.

I don't know if anyone who hasn't already seen the show will dare come into this thread, but it's a good chance to check out the show, if you haven't already seen it.

Top Bottom