Ms Marvel on D+ June 8

Dvandom

Citizen
Okay, so I knew SOMETHING would be up with hot new guy because of his name, but I was not expecting
Grunkle Kamran.

ETA: The name was important because (old spoiler but still a spoiler)
Kamran in the comics got close to Kamala, discovered she was Ms. Marvel, revealed he was also an Inhuman with powers, but turned out to be working for a badguy organization and tried to kidnap her.

---Dave

Shadewing

Citizen
I watched a video about the second ep and the kid sorta semi deserves it. I mean, I didn't notice his shoes.

Background on the Partition stuff is nice. I don't know about that history. Considering the time, maybe the British accent means something?

I'm wondering if he might not be like, literally her cousin; that if the Grandmother disappeared, his branch comes from her after the Partition somehow.

Dvandom

Citizen
Kamran code-switches like a pro. The British accent may have been calculated to make him the Cool New Kid. Also, while only strongly implied at this point,
his mother is apparently Kamala's great-grandmother. So he's her great-uncle. Immortals make a real hash of family trees.

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Hehe
InShot_20220616_222342678.jpg

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I didn't realize this but man Ant Man has been coming up a lot in Disney+ stuff. Been mentioned in both episodes of Ms Marvel but also refrenced in nearly every episode of Hawkeye. I know there is a movie coming out but that's next year. Wonder what the focus is on him so much lately

[edit] oh right also the Rescue Rangers movie that came out recently. Had Paul Rudd in it signing autographs and talking about how originally they were going to make "Aunt-man" instead. Just been mentioned all over.

Dvandom

Citizen
I mean, this is basically Teen Romantic Comedy plus superpowers, so they're gonna play with the cliches of that genre.

---Dave

Dvandom

Citizen
I mean, the end of episode 2 made it clear that the cool new guy had major ulterior motives, so they're not gonna string her along on that one.

---Dave

Dvandom

Citizen
1)
Okay, not Grunkle Kamran.
2)
SOOOOO close to having a wedding in a superhero universe NOT get crashed by supervillains. Okay, the wedding was fine, but the reception not so much.
3)
In the comics, the ClanDestine did get their powers from Djinn, but because a human married a Djinn.

---Dave

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
In episode 2, I'm pretty sure Kamala said "shit" or some variation but the sound was removed. Like they think a 16 year old shouldn't say that.

Dvandom

Citizen
Surprised that
Kamran wasn't in on it.
They seem to be trying to take that character in different directions than the comics version.

Also,
Kamala needed a combat-capable ally to be able to get out of it once the rest of the clan did their heel turn, and "They've been lying to their own kid too" not only solidifies that heel turn while also giving him a reason to ditch his family for some girl he just met a few days ago...because he's not doing it for her, he's doing it because his family showed their true colors.

---Dave

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I mean I loved episode 3. I don't like them leaning on some of the same old tropes tho. DoDC is specifically looking for a girl of her appearance but don't notice and let her run off while they arrest the others. Why were they even there? Only reason I can think of is they have a sensor up for her powers energy signature, nothing else screamed DoDC involvement. Also can't tell her family whats going on trope. Shes watched enough super hero stuff to know that doesn't end well.

Dvandom

Citizen
I'm not entirely sure she can get to her next location without telling her parents SOMETHING.

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Only saw ep3. I collected Alan Davis' ClanDestine! While they're not the same and they have half the origin, sort of, are these people on the Ms Marvel comic? Like, with Kamran? If so, won't they have a different name? Also, love the use of powers from accessories!

Still very cool to see the culture and I still hope there's no backlash or anything.

Hey, at 13:49, there was a kid taking shoes. Is he the same kid who stole the shoes? Didn't he say his ankle hurt or something when he fell?

Am super annoyed at the twist. Kamala looked so lost. I was actually relieved when back up came. Don't know what's next tho.

Bruno lost his girlfriend. Temporarily. Haha

Man, I hope Kamala gets proper mentorship soon.

Top Bottom