Ms Marvel on D+ June 8

Paladin

Citizen

... i have MIXED thoughts on this.

They appear to have changed Kamala Khans' entire power set. Either they can't afford or don't want stretchy size changing or they're still terrified of any association with "The Inhumans."

A bigger red flag to me is Kamala suddenly crushing over a hot dude- which is something i definitely don't remember happening in her comics. Like... can they not produce a female led series WITHOUT a love interest?! The joy & discovery of superpowers and how to use them isn't enough; gotta add "romantic drama?!"

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Yeah the power change is surprising. It looks like she may have the bracelets that gave the original male Captain Marvel his powers.

Looking forward to this. :)

Paladin

Citizen
Maybe they didn't want to introduce different superhero with stretchy powers, before the Fantastic Four movie.

The one with no cast announced, no production team confirmed, no shooting schedule and no known release date? which might not be close to readiness before this show is in it's second or third season?

Yeah. sure. makes sense.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
A bigger red flag to me is Kamala suddenly crushing over a hot dude- which is something i definitely don't remember happening in her comics. Like... can they not produce a female led series WITHOUT a love interest?! The joy & discovery of superpowers and how to use them isn't enough; gotta add "romantic drama?!"
To me, the boy seemed more like some minor background dude rather than a main character important to the story, so we may only see him in one or two episodes.

The other boy that she isn't crushing on and looks more like her best friend, on the other hand, does seem like a main character.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
The one with no cast announced, no production team confirmed, no shooting schedule and no known release date? which might not be close to readiness before this show is in it's second or third season?

Yeah. sure. makes sense.

Since that's the same one that is iconic, and fairly widely known amongst many people outside the nerdosphere, and is tied to some of there most iconic villains it make plenty of sense.

If you asked 100 random people to name the Fantastic Fours powers I'm betting you'd have at least fifty that would come up with stretching.

If you asked 100 random people what Ms. Marvel's powers are, you would probably have at least 90 that would have no idea who the character is, let alone what powers she has.

Paladin

Citizen
Since that's the same one that is iconic, and fairly widely known amongst many people outside the nerdosphere, and is tied to some of there most iconic villains it make plenty of sense.

If you asked 100 random people to name the Fantastic Fours powers I'm betting you'd have at least fifty that would come up with stretching.

If you asked 100 random people what Ms. Marvel's powers are, you would probably have at least 90 that would have no idea who the character is, let alone what powers she has.

if they really decided their most iconic Muslim hero can't use her signature powers because some day in the future a white guy with the same powers will come along & use them better than her, that is NOT a good look...

Dvandom

Citizen
It's worth noting that in the comics it took a while for Kamala's powers to settle down into what's now considered her signature set. There was a retcon later that "explained" why her full shapeshifting powers were going away, leaving her with just stretching and size changing.

The bracelet does not look like Mar-Vell's so much as it looks like Quasar's. The powerset (energy constructs) also maps onto the Quantum Bands, albeit missing the flight power (unless she figures that out later, after the stepping disk scene).

---Dave

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly it makes sense to me on two levels: Once as explained, Mr. Fantastic is a much more well known character with those powers; and most people are gonna be wondering why Ms. Marvel is stealing them before he even gets properly introduced. Like it or not, this would be one of the biggest talking point among casuals if Kamala had her traditional powers.

The second one, it that it feels like they are making her powers similar (as the energy constructs seem to allow her to do a lot of her stretchiness in a different way), but energy based to tie her better to the "Marvel" name in the MCU as both both Danvers and Rambeu have energy based powers. Also on another note, both of them have gotten their powers through the infinities stones sorta. Danvers through the engine explosion, and Rambeu through Wanda's magic which is powered/enhanced by the mind stone. Maybe Kamala's powers will have some connection to the power stone since both are purple.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen

Yeah. sure. makes sense.

Director has been confirmed, and since it has already been announced you can bet her powerset being both similar to Reed and expensive to produce believably had something to do with the changes. Not to mentiomn the Inhumans connection that is obviously scrapped.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Looks cute. I'll definitely tune in.

if they really decided their most iconic Muslim hero can't use her signature powers because some day in the future a white guy with the same powers will come along & use them better than her, that is NOT a good look...

Like it or not, the Fantastic 4 has a very special place within Marvel, not unlike Spider-Man and how big a deal his whole "homecoming" was, and it's always going to be treated with some reverence; especially given their imminent re-introduction after 2 mediocre and 1 truly horrendous film adaptation. Hopefully fans can avoid trying to make this about religion or ethnicity, as that can only lead to unpleasantness.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay, so... her origin is different, her powers are different, and I can't tell if her costume is different (the final shot felt right), so what does that leave?

The name and her character. I guess those are the most important things, but this feels to me like one of the more dissonant adaptations.

Looks cute. I'll definitely tune in.

Like it or not, the Fantastic 4 has a very special place within Marvel, not unlike Spider-Man and how big a deal his whole "homecoming" was, and it's always going to be treated with some reverence; especially given their imminent re-introduction after 2 mediocre and 1 truly horrendous film adaptation. Hopefully fans can avoid trying to make this about religion or ethnicity, as that can only lead to unpleasantness.
Oh, I do so hope they don't keep doing more "home" titles for that...

RCX

Citizen
There's nothing to stop Marvel from having Kamala go through some secondary powers transformation years down the road once the FF are established.
But I'm absolutely convinced this is a "first, most important dibs" situation for Reed.

Dvandom

Citizen
GIFsets are showing up in my social media feeds...the bracelets lack the big gems of the Quantum Bands, but are more detailed than the Nega-Bands, so I guess it's a toss-up which one they're "supposed to" be.

---Dave

Shadewing

Citizen
So Kevin Feige offers up the reason they changed Kamala's powers for MCU:

“We adapt the comics; it’s not an exact translation. [Kamala] came about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity. She is now coming into a very specific time within the MCU continuity. And those two things didn’t match. What we will learn about where those powers come from, and how they come about, is specific to the MCU. You will see great comic splash panels in some of our action sequences. If you want big, giant hands and arms, well they’re here in spirit, if not in stretchy, plastic-type ways.”

Shadewing

Citizen
I don't quite see it that way, more of "Hey there is actually a good reason for the change, and it will make sense when it revealed." But of course can't get more specific then that without spoiling it.

Honestly, Feige has proven himself multiple times to me by now that he knows what he's doing, and doesn't change things without reason. So if he says, or implies that it will make sense and work in context of the prime MCU timeline, which doesn't have Inhumans in it yet (That we know of, as that was a pre-unification TV show and they're all kinda nebulous).

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, it reads to me much like explaining "we can't write away Iron Man's entire power set as being the result of the miracle of transistors anymore."

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The second one, it that it feels like they are making her powers similar (as the energy constructs seem to allow her to do a lot of her stretchiness in a different way), but energy based to tie her better to the "Marvel" name in the MCU as both both Danvers and Rambeu have energy based powers. Also on another note, both of them have gotten their powers through the infinities stones sorta. Danvers through the engine explosion, and Rambeu through Wanda's magic which is powered/enhanced by the mind stone. Maybe Kamala's powers will have some connection to the power stone since both are purple.

Actually, I think that might be exactly what they're doing.

Recently, in the comics, they've had a storyarc where the Infinity Stones choose different users after gaining sentience. It's possible they're doing a similar storyarc here, leading up to the Marvels movie.

You're forgiven for probably never hearing about these guys. They haven't really done a whole lot, but Captain Marvel has big a big part of their storyarc so far. Still, it's possible they'll have the other 3 stones choose "bad guys" that the 3 Marvels have to fight, or something.

Top Bottom