MPG - new Japanese Transformers series

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
Sorry, but I disagree. The official versions look stumpy and kibbly in bot mode, and more akin to CHUG to me, whereas the 3P versions seem to have better/more elongated bot modes with less kibble. Combined with the price, I feel the 3P versions "feel" more like MP toys, regardless of whether they fully represent the original cartoon designs.

Regardless, as I'm more interested in the CHUG-styled official designs, I'll wait for the KO versions. In either case, they offer better value for money than the official versions, IMO.
the bot mode isn't why this is an MP. it's the vehicle mode.

Kaon

Transformers MPG-01 Trainbot Shouki 01.jpg
Transformers MPG-01 Trainbot Shouki.jpg

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Articulation looks more akin to older cheaper MPs, not the more extensive stuff we've been getting lately.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Woof. Where have people been for the last 5+ years of Masterpiece. New guys are way beyond when things were in the under $100 range.
My comment was based more off of the size comparisons to Prowl and Red Alert being similar size. I get it being more than $75 with it being a combiner piece and hopefully a bit better construction processes (not that I have any complaints about Prowl and the others). Im just never going to get over this guy being a $200 figure. I was on the fence about trying to collect these. I do hope it sells well and maybe we can get a more affordable version in a Combiner Wars styling, but I have little hope for that being an actuality.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Based on what we know Shouki is closer to Ironhide's height.

I can see why some people may think he's more akin to the older Masterpiece based on his robot mode. The beauty of his train mode looks to be beyond most Masterpiece figures. Combining like he does also adds a level of complexity. I'm guessing he won't be able to go into as extreme poses as some Masterpiece like Sunstreaker, Prime 3.0, or Starscream 2.0 but I think he'll pose well.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
For those interested in a related product, this video of an equivalent 3P offering just got uploaded:

-

I believe these retail for around 70 dollars each?

the bot mode isn't why this is an MP. it's the vehicle mode.
Quite possibly so, but I suspect most of us here (and in Japan?) are more interested in the robot/gestalt form?

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
Those are pretty great (though they're $110 at BBTS - that $75 at TFs Express doesn't include the $195 shipping).

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Based on what we know Shouki is closer to Ironhide's height.

I can see why some people may think he's more akin to the older Masterpiece based on his robot mode. The beauty of his train mode looks to be beyond most Masterpiece figures. Combining like he does also adds a level of complexity. I'm guessing he won't be able to go into as extreme poses as some Masterpiece like Sunstreaker, Prime 3.0, or Starscream 2.0 but I think he'll pose well.
As someone who loves the "pre-anime" MP toys, it's still irksome that this figure doesn't live up to those figures, for me. I suppose it's the small size and high price. Close, but no cigar, if you will. I suspect for the anime-MP fans, although, at pointed out, it does look authentic to the anime model, it perhaps doesn't "feel" like the other anime-accurate figures? Perhaps it's like a "Studio Ox" styled MP figure if such a thing was released?

In other words, the official figure hasn't really resonated with some (or many?) fans on "opposite" ends of the aesthetics (or scaled/price-point) spectrum?

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
As someone who loves the "pre-anime" MP toys, it's still irksome that this figure doesn't live up to those figures, for me. I suppose it's the small size and high price. Close, but no cigar, if you will. I suspect for the anime-MP fans, although, at pointed out, it does look authentic to the anime model, it perhaps doesn't "feel" like the other anime-accurate figures? Perhaps it's like a "Studio Ox" styled MP figure if such a thing was released?

In other words, the official figure hasn't really resonated with some (or many?) fans on "opposite" ends of the aesthetics (or scaled/price-point) spectrum?
It's possible. It being the #1 seller in Collectibles when it first went up for preorder makes me think otherwise. Unless the crossover with train enthusiasts is large enough (which it could be). I don't see you as alone in your assessment, as I've seen a lot of other similar feedback online.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's possible. It being the #1 seller in Collectibles when it first went up for preorder makes me think otherwise. Unless the crossover with train enthusiasts is large enough (which it could be). I don't see you as alone in your assessment, as I've seen a lot of other similar feedback online.
It could also be due to Takara (possibly) selling their MP lines at an increasingly smaller, and thus narrower, market? I believe that, by making such figures extremely detailed in a few, small (arguably more limited-appeal) way, they can "guarantee" a certain amount of sales, without creating too much excess stock. Couple this with a much higher price tag, and they can sell limited accounts of "bespoke" TF products to certain niches of (Japanese Transformers) collectors, rather than the more "mass-market" (or broader) market of old/Android?

mx-01 archon

Citizen
Are we highlighting paint chips? Because that's pretty common on this pre-release photography, if you give them close enough looks. They're all hand-painted samples, so the paint goes on extra thick and doesn't bond as well as the factory paint.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Are we highlighting paint chips? Because that's pretty common on this pre-release photography, if you give them close enough looks. They're all hand-painted samples, so the paint goes on extra thick and doesn't bond as well as the factory paint.

I hope that's the case, but you would have thought that TT would have done some repainting/photoshopping prior to releasing the picture, in order to show the figure in the best possible way...

MrBlud

Citizen
They don’t even make sure figures are transformed correctly for back of the card photography before they print 10,000 for distribution to stores.

They sure as hell aren’t going to photoshop pictures like that.

Top Bottom