Mortal Kombat

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Um, I'm not familiar with the pre mk9 characters. That demoness is Blaze? But who's the guy with the claws and face paint? He kiiinda looks generic.

Only Raiden and Shang Tsung got youthened counterparts?

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Theory 1:
Actually, I think the demoness is Ashra. In the old timeline, she looked human, tired to fight her demon side and be a good guy and played like Raiden light. But story wise she was no less a demon.

I think in the new timeline, she still appears somewhat like she used to, but every now and then her demon side shows through.

Theory 2:
It's Nitara showing an even nastier side of her vampire powers.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I know the name Ashra but not familiar with Sareena. And it turns out Blaze is a guy, haha

And the generic face, claws, face paint guy is actually Havik. What I thought was face paint was his skin peeling off?

Edit - wait, there's another guy named Reiko with face paint?

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, I've been playing this quite a bit since I got it. Graphics are awesome. Gameplay is awesome. I haven't decided on a main yet. I usually default to Scorpion, and he is pretty good. But I also really like Nitara, Subzero and Katana. I didn't really gravitate to Ashra as much as I hoped, but I do like her as a character. I am so glad to be playing Nitara again. She was my favorite in Deadly Alliance.

I don't think these are really spoilers since I'm only saying what you can see from the trailers...still...it still feels weird some of the things they've done to the characters. Scorpion is Kuai Liang instead of Hanzo Hasashi. This is probably the biggest weird thing for me. Also a mortal Raiden and an immortal Liu Kang is just so weird on so many levels. Tarkatans being a disease instead of a species is an odd choice.

So yeah, changes to the story are really trippy. Still, this is shaping up to be a really great game.

Just one question though. Am I just desensitized or did they tone down the fatalities ever so slightly. They seem ever so slightly less inner-organ-showy than they were in the last three games. Which is probably a good thing. Fatalities in those were kinda gut-turning .

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I read an article that employees had to be treated with pstd or counseling or whatever, from being exposed to too much gore research for the previous title. Dunno if that's true.

The whole story mode for mk1 is out and I spent time watching it. Younger Shang Tsung stood out to me, which should have been young Raiden, cuz would have been nice to have more personality to him.

I feel like we should have been given more time to explore this new continuity. It just feels too final, too big and done with, similar to MK11 with Kronika and the multiverse. They could have saved that for the next game. Cuz, right now, what's next?

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, I just finished story mode. Without getting into spoilers, it was good and all right up to the end when it felt like like they just hit fast forward and skipped to the end. Honestly, it felt a little short being done with in in less than a week while also playing Baldur's gate.

Still, it was fun and now Havok is unlocked.

Top Bottom