Transformers Retro series (Walmart TFTM Reissues)

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm over animation colors. I'm all about the old toy decos now, with the sticker details.

But someone out there who really wanted that TFC Starscream is going to be thrilled, so I'm glad these exist. This style of reissue can be an interesting what-if.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll be more interested in this Hot Rod if they do a matching Rodimus Prime, but I don't expect that when they haven't done one in vintage colors either.

RCX

Citizen
I think the only time Rodimus Prime was colored magenta was the final scenes of TF: The Movie.
He's not supposed to be magenta; Rodimus is supposed be maroonish-red.

Shadewing

Citizen
My never gonna happen wish: G1 Rodimus remolded from the waist down to have hip and knee articulation; since his transformation is so... nothing. Not like modern articulation; just simple hinge joints like you'd find on that era. His bottom half does nothing, besides the feet folding up. At least give them some joints to move. Galvatron is one of the most articulate G1 figures, with some of it actually not needed for transformation.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
My never gonna happen wish: G1 Rodimus remolded from the waist down to have hip and knee articulation; since his transformation is so... nothing. Not like modern articulation; just simple hinge joints like you'd find on that era. His bottom half does nothing, besides the feet folding up. At least give them some joints to move. Galvatron is one of the most articulate G1 figures, with some of it actually not needed for transformation.

Maybe when Hasbro runs out of Studio series ideas, they'll decide to do a sort of, Classic 2.0 where they take the original toy desgins and give them modern articulation while remaining faithful to the original toys, for example, G1 Ultra Magnus, give the trailer moving legs but not do a parts forming outside of putting a helmet on the cab robot head and attaching the chest plate, of course, there is the weapons, thou I would at least have the hands as apart of the trailer instead of detching them, but that merely my view, thou I expect if Hasbro do a 86 Studio series mangus, they might use the Earthrise Prime mold for the cab of the truck, I mean, its pretty much the best Earth based mainline Prime we gotten in years, I think the best OP figure prior has to be Prime First Edition OP voyager!

Shadewing

Citizen
I'm fine with most other G1 toys being bricks, because they at least have some kinda interesting transformation. G1 Rodimus disappointed me even as a kid, because he barely transforms, and a lack of articulation when it seemed like it could exist (such as the boots and the legs being obviously separate pieces that connect at the knee). Like, Hot rod can't do more then lift his arms, but at least he actually transforms and in a fun way. Rodimus you flip his chest up and then cover him with his trailer. I think Action Master Elites has more complex transformations then him. Rodimus just feels very half-assed, or rushed. Giving him even very basic 80's level action figure articulation would at least give him /something/ relatively unique compared to most other TF figures at the time.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm fine with most other G1 toys being bricks, because they at least have some kinda interesting transformation. G1 Rodimus disappointed me even as a kid, because he barely transforms, and a lack of articulation when it seemed like it could exist (such as the boots and the legs being obviously separate pieces that connect at the knee). Like, Hot rod can't do more then lift his arms, but at least he actually transforms and in a fun way. Rodimus you flip his chest up and then cover him with his trailer. I think Action Master Elites has more complex transformations then him. Rodimus just feels very half-assed, or rushed. Giving him even very basic 80's level action figure articulation would at least give him /something/ relatively unique compared to most other TF figures at the time.

At least it makes you think how far Transforming toys have come, we got figures now that ten years ago, we couldn't of imagined to have in terms of looks and how they move, nearly every deluxe figure has a joint on the foot that lets you get some awesome poses and not look silly when it comes to the feet, we have a Optimus prime figure that transforms into a truck but looks 95% like the animation mode, lots of fine detail tooled into the bodies, sure we not gotten a Megatron in the same vain when it comes to mainline releases, due to safety laws and stuff, the bar has been set, I think the lowest standard of a modern mainline figure is the Sideswipe mold, its the goal to ensure that no figure is worse than that and needs to be better than that one, when it comes to the deluxe price point at least!

Shadewing

Citizen
I have no qualms with the Sideswipe mold and prefer him to say, the Tracks mold. Recently got Road Rage because she was half off at Target, and I still just HATE transforming that mold. I'd rather have something like Sideswipe where the transformation doesn't require breaking the laws of physics and be on the lower end of posability, then have something very posable that is a pita to transform.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Are... are pita's hard to transform?

-ZacWilliam, I've really only used them for tacos and quesadillas but they seem to fold up pretty easy...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the only time Rodimus Prime was colored magenta was the final scenes of TF: The Movie.
He's not supposed to be magenta; Rodimus is supposed be maroonish-red.

There's still the recolored fists and legs.

I'd like them to reissue Rodimus Prime in one form or the other. It has the aura of a bad toy I wouldn't hate.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I have no qualms with the Sideswipe mold and prefer him to say, the Tracks mold. Recently got Road Rage because she was half off at Target, and I still just HATE transforming that mold. I'd rather have something like Sideswipe where the transformation doesn't require breaking the laws of physics and be on the lower end of posability, then have something very posable that is a pita to transform.

Yes, that Tracks / Road Rage mold is...unfortunate. IMO, it looks pretty nice in both modes (for the most part), which is why it is so frustrating. I really wanted to like it, but it is just not a good Transformer. I'm sure that the design team did what they could within the confines of budgeting, etc..; but they ultimately released something that was sub-par.

Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Maybe when Hasbro runs out of Studio series ideas, they'll decide to do a sort of, Classic 2.0 where they take the original toy desgins and give them modern articulation while remaining faithful to the original toys

Not that we need another Arcee on shelves (we have SSBB, SS86, and Legacy Prime at the moment, locally at least, pretty sure there's some unsold ER/Kingdom stock floating around somewhere, too), but if Hasbro were ever going to do a G1, but better, line, they really ought to revisit the original Arcee concept mockup. She's kind of the glaring omission in any G1 movie/s3 cast display, and the modern figures just look out of place in an otherwise vintage G1 lineup. I think if they tried to rework the concept Arcee into something marketable, it would make a good addition to a vintage reissue line.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
For the time being, Authentics Arcee kinda fills the niche for the articulation-limited brickiness of the G1 figures. She even has that awkward "dead inside" stare that many G1 toys had. 😜

Authenticstoy-BravoArcee.jpg

Top Bottom