Transformers Retro series (Walmart TFTM Reissues)

Kup

Citizen

Aaaaand preordered. Will this be the first truly magenta colored Hasbro Hot Rod? SS86 was close but not quite

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Certainly the first we've seen of the G1 mold in that color, I think.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
He's also never had that painted collar. Or the de-chromed engine and pipes, though I wouldn't call that a "gain".

Starscream has paint apps instead of stickers, including (finally) painted eyes, and doofily resculpted fists to hold a Megatron gun.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You know, I've got to admit, I'm a little tempted by that Starscream. I've got bits and pieces of several original seekers and a reissue Dirge, but I've never had a complete version of any of the G1 season 1 seekers.

The Phazer

Citizen
He's also never had that painted collar. Or the de-chromed engine and pipes, though I wouldn't call that a "gain".

Starscream has paint apps instead of stickers, including (finally) painted eyes, and doofily resculpted fists to hold a Megatron gun.

Aren't the resculpted fists the ones from the Takara reissue?

Hot Rod being magenta is kind of neat, but I generally hate the trend of making things "animated" by turning them shit grey instead of silver. Like that is how you draw chrome, it is not supposed to be pale grey.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Those are pretty but I got too many preorders already to try for them.

-ZacWilliam, maybe if I ever see them in purpose (which given Walmart seems unlikely.)

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
"Fine! Here's your damned magenta Hot Rod!"

Why do they keep pointing one of Starscream's launchers up like that?

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know who asked for the Starscream, but people have been asking for this Hot Rod mold in magenta for some time.

Manoiki

aka TJMD
Citizen
Preordered both. Those are some beatiful boxes and a reissue Hot Rod in magenta? Yes, please. And I'm still waiting for SS86 Hot Rod in magenta, Hasbro. Hook your fans up.

Lobjob

Citizen
This Hot Rod is a thing of beauty. Its a must own.

Honestly, stuff like this is what it takes to get me to want G1 figures in 2022.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
As I recall, Starscream was around $30 the last time he was available, so I view it a net positive with the integrated paint apps. Hot Rod was cheaper last time around, but we ARE dealing with people charging the same price for reissue Beast Wars basics and deluxe...so I kind of get that.

Thing is...had this been 10 years ago? I would have been all over them. G1 figures without the damned stickers? DREAM COME TRUE. But in that time, the general trend of the brand has shifted to the point that...what benefit does the reissue serve at this point? I've gotten two of them already, and Hasbro's mainline is pretty much nailing medium accuracy at a comparable or lower price with a more sophisticated figure.

It's also getting hard to get excited over YET ANOTHER reissue of Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Starscream or Hot Rod.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Well, I would have ordered Starscream (and possibly Galaxy Shuttle) if I hadn't been, you know, WORKING at 10am today when they went up. I swear, these mid-morning Thursday "drops" are the dumbest. The feeling of needing to be hypervigilant to have a shot at these things is wearing very, very thin.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I love the box art. Reminds me of the TF:TM DVD I got for Christmas a year or two ago. Maybe a few years ago...(was that really 2006?!?!?!)

Anyway, the packaging really is cool, and the back of the box has the tech specs - I miss those in the main line toys.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why do they keep pointing one of Starscream's launchers up like that?
It's oldschool.

1665134167649.png

(Via TFArchive)

Also, the toy versions are a bit longer, and as such arguably more unwieldy than the animation models, so keeping them that way when not in use probably made sense at the time.

Top Bottom