Transformers Retro series (Walmart TFTM Reissues)

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
It's just not the same. G1 toys aren't built like modern toys that happen to be missing some joints. It's a whole different design language.

This is it, exactly. G1 S3 figures didn't have ball joints (if you wanted ball joints in the early- to mid-80s, you had to buy GoBots!), and, illustrated in the comments above, most had little or no leg articulation.
Authentics Arcee is a decent little figure (tiny forearms notwithstanding), but she sticks out from the 86 guys just as bad as Energon, T30, and ER do. On the other hand, she's a decent fit for my Core/Legend class collection, which has much more variety of styles.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Starscream is similar to the 2003 Takara re-release of G1 SS, save for the face and knee vents. The ghost version, which was released around the same time, also has similar colours.

2022 2003 & Ghost Starscream.jpg

I don't think Hotrod was released in such a way though.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Starscream is similar to the 2003 Takara re-release of G1 SS, save for the face and knee vents. The ghost version, which was released around the same time, also has similar colours.

View attachment 9924

I don't think Hotrod was released in such a way though.
The blue also looks lighter, while the red looks deeper.

And the Decepticon symbols are smaller and don't have a white border.

And the missiles are the elongated versions Hasbro uses in their reissues.

And the stripe pattern on the wings is shaped differently.

And there's no stripe pattern on the tailfins.

And the jet nosecone is all gray instead of blue-tipped.

And the front of the ankles now have gray on them.

And the sides of the missile launchers are now gray instead of blue.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The blue also looks lighter, while the red looks deeper.

And the Decepticon symbols are smaller and don't have a white border.

And the missiles are the elongated versions Hasbro uses in their reissues.

And the stripe pattern on the wings is shaped differently.

And there's no stripe pattern on the tailfins.

And the jet nosecone is all gray instead of blue-tipped.

And the front of the ankles now have gray on them.

And the sides of the missile launchers are now gray instead of blue.
Still, not really enough for me to buy this again over the 2003 version though.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's a great option for those who missed the 2003 version though. That reissue is already as old as the 1984 toy was at the time...

That painful thought aside, I think I prefer the 2003 plastic colors but the new one certainly does a more thorough job of the concept.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's a great option for those who missed the 2003 version though. That reissue is already as old as the 1984 toy was at the time...

That painful thought aside, I think I prefer the 2003 plastic colors but the new one certainly does a more thorough job of the concept.
I thought the new toys lacked details, but the new (tampos?) seem to make up for them.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I really like the look of this Starscream. Full disclosure: I am an absolute G1 Starscream nut. I bought the ghost version back in the day, along with the '03 reissue, and the Wal Mart version from (last year? A couple of years ago? I forget exactly when). The tampos on this version are a nice touch and I like just like the colors in general. Should be a really cool update to a favorite G1 mold.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Saw that there are images of what looks to be a Walmart Retro G1 Hound Reissue. I skipped Hot Rod and Starscream, but I might fall for a Hound. I'm not 100% sure that he was my first genuine Transformer as a kid, but I'm pretty convinced that he was (oddly enough, I have very strong memories of receiving my first "converting robot" toy, which the Gobot Zeemon). I still have my old Hound, one of the very few of my original Transformers that wasn't sold at a garage sale while I was off at college, but he's in real rough shape. I'd be up for a minty fresh one.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Saw that there are images of what looks to be a Walmart Retro G1 Hound Reissue. I skipped Hot Rod and Starscream, but I might fall for a Hound. I'm not 100% sure that he was my first genuine Transformer as a kid, but I'm pretty convinced that he was (oddly enough, I have very strong memories of receiving my first "converting robot" toy, which the Gobot Zeemon). I still have my old Hound, one of the very few of my original Transformers that wasn't sold at a garage sale while I was off at college, but he's in real rough shape. I'd be up for a minty fresh one.
It’ll just be refreshing to see a reissue that isn’t a Prime, Hot Rod, a seeker, Astrotrain or Cassette player

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
On one hand it sucks to lose the best part of G1 Hound. The toy deco is lovely. Even G1 toys can't escape the cartoon decos anymore.

On the other hand, this doesn't look bad. I miss the chrome, but so are most of the original toys these days. I'm okay with ditching it and having a toy that stays intact longer. It's not like we'll be able to replace this one any time soon. Hasbro only reissues G1 Hound once every... um... ever.

Blot

Citizen
Takara hasn't reissued since the bookbox one of the early 2000s, and Hasbro never gave it a release in the Commemorative Series before that line was iced. So I can understand why people are a bit perturbed that Hound in a different deco doesn't carry that same "oooh wow neat" aspect the other two show-colors-on-G1-molds the other two do.

I mean I've already got a reissue Hound so this one doing something different raises the novelty value for me and means I actually have a bigger want for the Hot Rod and Starscream releases. And I loathe the G1 Seeker toy!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Man I want to see what this line does for Ironhide and Ratchet. Will they reuse Takara's solution or try something different?

Top Bottom