Moon Knight On Disney Plus

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I put it down to the other gods having contempt for Khonshu even before the trial. In their minds, it was a violent hobo god harassing a former employee.

As someone who's had pretty much no prior experience with the character, I'm enjoying this show. Oscar Isaac is one of those absolutely brilliant actors that can disappear into a role, and here he's doing it multiple times.

Dvandom

Citizen
It's worth noting that in the comics, Mr. Knight was basically a new personality at first, IIRC. And not just "What Steven looks like when he has the suit." So yeah, the sarcophagus containing Jake Locksley seems like the obvious answer, but it's not inevitable. It *is* whoever took over in that one fight where Marc said it wasn't him, though. Rules of storytelling pretty much guarantee that.

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
So what kind of personality would they give him? To distinguish from the angsty adventurer and the awkward smart guy?

Ego, super ego... Id? If he's not a crazed killer, maybe a carefree guy who's extremely lucky?

Cool that Steven actually gave info on the final lady. Good foreshadowing, haha

Dvandom

Citizen
The "streetwise working guy" niche is available, whether or not it's Jake. Of course, they could go really weird, and have this be Real Marc, that his personality fractured after killing Layla's father, creating the Ethical Merc personality who convinced himself that it was his "partner" who killed the man...when it was really him.

---Dave

Cradok

Citizen
The third personality is presumably the one who asked out Dylan in the first episode, and maybe the one who replaced the fish. Neither seem like a 'Marc' thing to me.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Round Robin Sidekick's revenge! That was six issues of Spider-Man drawn by Mark Bagley, written by David Micheline (?), right? Where Nova, Punisher, Moon Knight guest starred? That was fun. Lotsa fights.

The cyborg bad guy was Moon Knight's sidekick who turned bad cuz he was abandoned? But I forgot the name of the evil organization and I don't even know his name. He couldn't have been originally named Moon Boy, was he? Haha

The Moon Knight identity I knew about was the Bruce Wayne type. Isn't the name Steven Grant from a comic writer too? I think he wrote the reboot Challengers of the Unknown from DC.
That's the one! The sidekick was Midknight. I think the evil organization literally called the "Secret Empire".
Also had Darkhawk who I was also into way back in the early 90s.

I like that they appear to be drawing in the other Egyptian gods. Given how we've got Norse gods running amok, it's nice to see other pantheons. This also opens the door to Hercules and the greek gods too.

I am also loving just how big an ass Khonsu is. Just an absolute dick about things.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I like that they appear to be drawing in the other Egyptian gods. Given how we've got Norse gods running amok, it's nice to see other pantheons. This also opens the door to Hercules and the greek gods too.
Zeus is coming in the next Thor movie.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
The third personality is presumably the one who asked out Dylan in the first episode, and maybe the one who replaced the fish. Neither seem like a 'Marc' thing to me.
... holy cow, that makes sense. Yeah, Marc wouldn't care about Steven losing a fish. I forgot about the date thing too.

I forgot about Darkhawk in Round Robin Sidekick's Revenge! But yeah, he was there. I remember his circular Darkforce shield thing pinning Midknight on a wall.

I've been avoiding looking at the Love and Thunder trailer so didn't know about Zeus. If Hercules is coming down the line, that would be awesome.

Dvandom

Citizen
The Secret Empire got kinda overexposed recently with the whole "Hydra Captain America takes over the country" event, but it was originally "Richard Nixon and the Klan trying to overthrow democracy." Editorial made them back off it being Nixon himself at the last minute, but the final confrontation in the Oval Office had already been drawn when he was changed to a never-to-be-named "high ranking government official".

Midnight was, IIRC, the son of the Midnight Man, an old Moon Knight villain. He initially fought MK, then ended up as his sidekick, then seemed to have died in a fight against the Secret Empire (which didn't go away just because not-Nixon killed himself). I have vague memories of cyborg-Midnight being rehabilitated and returning to partner status during the "Iron Man Lite" era of Moon Knight.

---Dave

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The MCU Secret Empire was also glimpsed in season 2 of Agent Carter. The Council of Nine was an incarnation of the Secret Empire.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the new ep. Am not happy. He better do something to make things right.

Am gonna assume that the family thing is not in the comics? And that it's a new thing for the series?

Dvandom

Citizen
Keeping in mind that I haven't read a lot of the more recent comics which might have contained retcons, in the 80s comic it was revealed that Marc's father was a rabbi and a pacifist, and they argued a lot during Marc's young adulthood. I don't recall anything about his mother or siblings. In that story, Marc's multiple personality issues were the manifesting of schizophrenia rather than a childhood trauma response (which would suggest that his mother might also have been schizophrenic).

These days, the comics have established that whatever Marc's got is not in the DSM V. He may once have had schizophrenia or dissociative disorder or something, but having Khonshu repeatedly take direct control of his brain has given him damage that goes so much deeper and much weirder.

---Dave

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
These days, the comics have established that whatever Marc's got is not in the DSM V. He may once have had schizophrenia or dissociative disorder or something, but having Khonshu repeatedly take direct control of his brain has given him damage that goes so much deeper and much weirder.

---Dave
And the last scene of the series seems to play into that. Heck of a way to set up another season.

Also dig that Jake seems modeled after another TV/film character. Just what was shown feels a bit like a pastiche of 70s era foreign thrillers and spy dramas.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
The finale annoyed me. I really could have used some 'I told you so's, haha

On a downer part, are the casualties resolved somehow?

Love the new suit but c'mon! Could have thrown some more weight around. It would have been hilarious but I guess they didn't want to ruffle some feathers so stick with that.

I need an explanation of the asylum. Is that a shared mental plane or something? Cuz how could he be in it?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I need an explanation of the asylum. Is that a shared mental plane or something? Cuz how could he be in it?

I got the impression that the asylum is still Mark/Steven's "resolving mechanism" or whatever they had called it. It's the place where Mark and Steven (and later Jake?) can meet face to face and work things out.

I think Harrow was still in there as a figment of their shared imagination, but Mark/Steven seemed to have now realized that and were no longer under any sort of control by dreamHarrow.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
So it's just a coincidence that Harrow at the end was in another asylum?

Btw, did they actually mention the name Moon Knight at any point in the show?

What's the name of the new one?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So it's just a coincidence that Harrow at the end was in another asylum?

Btw, did they actually mention the name Moon Knight at any point in the show?

What's the name of the new one?
I think Harrow being in a real asylum was meant to be a bit of callback / karmic justice.

If I recall correctly, Khonshu specifically asked Mark to be his Moon Knight at least once.

I'm hearing that Layla's superhero name is Scarlet Scarab in reference to an old, obscure hero, though there aren't many similarities between the two.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
... it was a REAL asylum?!? I thought it was another mental plane thing! Ala Khonshu was murdering the soul of Harrow then Ammet lady croc would be in charge of the body next time. Gosh dang!

I kinda felt let down that we didn't see a hippo themed superhero. That would have been fun! If they made it work, haha. But it Khonshu's avatar had a butt motif instead of a skeleton bird with a scythe soooo it doesn't have to follow that the avatar's theme would be exactly like the god empowering them.

Top Bottom