MLP:MYM - Holiday Special "Winter Wishday"..............................(SPOILERS)

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
2989261.jpg

A new G5 special is on the way,
For it's Holiday time in Maretime Bay.
Now the 3 tribes are joined once more,
Festivities abound are what's in store.
Though old G4 Holidays are not as once was,
New G5 traditions have become all the buzz.
So let's now join the G5 cast,
Together forging new traditions to last.

The special debuts on Netflix,
Monday, November 21st.

----------------------------------

SYNOPSIS:

Winter Wishday
Winter Wishday is fast approaching, and the Mane 5 are all looking forward to the magical holiday celebration. Sunny can’t wait to exchange gifts with her friends under the wishing star that night in Maretime Bay, but finds that each of the Mane 5 have their own holiday traditions to celebrate as well. So, they hatch a plan to celebrate everypony’s traditions in one day.

Last edited:

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
To note, just as I've always done since the oldspark, every episode/specials thread I make are labeled with a Spoiler warning. So no need to hide your posts behind spoiler tags. :)

Dvandom

Citizen
This sort of thing is why the "It's the future of G4" feels so tacked on. Every bit of culture from G4 has been lost, there's no holidays or locations or rites of passage that survive, and the only way they can make it fit is say "Twilight Sparkle had to blow everything up and change everything to save it." It's just so awkward whenever they pull out, "Oh, yeah, and G4 is their totally forgotten history," when there's otherwise no sign of any connection.

---Dave

Shadewing

Citizen
This sort of thing is why the "It's the future of G4" feels so tacked on. Every bit of culture from G4 has been lost, there's no holidays or locations or rites of passage that survive, and the only way they can make it fit is say "Twilight Sparkle had to blow everything up and change everything to save it." It's just so awkward whenever they pull out, "Oh, yeah, and G4 is their totally forgotten history," when there's otherwise no sign of any connection.

---Dave

Devil's Advocate: How do you know that, just like in the real words where we got stuff like Christmas, Kwanza, and Chanukah all hitting roughly at the same time; that Pony doesn't now also have multiple winter holidays that exist around the same time, that have come into being since G4?

Also, TYT gave us Nightmare Night, so...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Holidays can be forgotten. Heath's Warming Eve was about the tribes coming together. After everything broke up, I find it believable that they weren't in the mood to celebrate that particular holiday anymore and eventually they forgot it ever existed.

blueskyscribe

Citizen
Holidays change over time, and they can be forgotten. Like when is the last time you heard someone talk about their big plans for Michaelmas? It used to be a full "cook a goose and hide a ring in a pie" holiday. It was a harvest festival celebrated at the end of September. Maybe there's an alternate universe where it's still big, instead of (in America) Thanksgiving.

Anyway, this special was very cute. The wool hats! My favorite part was the visit with Grandma Figgy. What a sweet old lady! The twist that she's actually always encouraging Hitch to try new things was great. Also the photo and the story of Argyle blowing bubbles from the top of the lighthouse to make the kids' wish for snow come true--AWWWW! You could see the conflicting emotions on Sunny's face . . . Happy memories, but missing her dad.

Incidentally her dad had a star with a rainbow behind it as his symbol, which is similar to the star at the end. So maybe that is where his cutie mark came from: the Wishing Star, representing his wish that the ponykinds would reunite again.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
0:40 I don't like the music in G5.

0:49 MAH BOY!

1:33 Zipp is unenthusiastic about whatever it is they're doing today. I'm shocked.

1:55 Unicorn magic isn't as OP anymore.

2:29 My grandma is cooler. Oh lol one of the birds just said the same thing.

2:48 New moon. So is a moon a year? Did they just finally end this mystery?

4:12 It never snows in Maretime Bay. This place feels more relatable all the time.

4:58 Yep. I saw where that was going. I am a little impressed that this ship was just revealed last week. They are nailing the scheduling between the two shows.

5:50 "We think so." They think this wreck can fly. G5 has been fairly low danger so far but I am concerned.

6:50 This is either a continuity error with the shows providing two origins for the ship's revamped appearance, or this ship has its own magical girl transformation.

7:28 If this license is valid, then Maretime Bay's requirements are weaker than Florida's. My driving test was a sham.

7:39 Senor Butterscotch! The hero we need.

8:16 Zipp has her hat!

8:44 Sunny has learned to take it seriously when Zipp suspects something.

9:30 Estimated arrival: approximately pretty soon. Zipp works for Hasbro.

10:24 Senor Butterscotch is not just a figment of Izzy's imagination.

11:10 This is exactly why we don't have flying cars.

11:40 I don't know what my cool grandma's current house looks like. She's always having to skip town in a mysterious hurry.

12:27 So it runs in Hitch's family.

12:58 Sparky doesn't even know who this is, but trusts Hitch's mood.

13:32 So dragons were always Hitch's destiny.

14:57 *hnnng* They are really trying to bait fan artists into showing Hitch more love.

15:15 COME ON my heart is still recovering from the last one!

16:51 Yes. They are absolutely trying to bait more Hitch art. Any way they can.

17:15 I have never in my life seen a gingerbread house. Do people really make these?

17:45 More smol Hitch pictures.

20:04 It was Hitch all along.

21:11 Zipp, chill out. It's just climate change.

21:41 Pipp is almost as much of a slapstick magnet as Hitch at this point.

24:10 Izzy is always prepared.

24:29 Pipp made it this far before taking out her phone.

24:32 *shove*

27:27 How did they do this ceremony before magic came back?

30:12 That would work on me too. I'm very hungry.

31:25 Poor guards. They are so cute in this gen.

31:37 Pipp is starting to have an influence on Queen Haven.

32:03 I was expecting sewing supplies.

33:31 Zipp's lack of enthusiasm is justified. Once again, G5 allows the complainer's feelings to be valid.

33:51 Posey does leave her house sometimes.

36:56 I am just mesmerized watching their ears flopping in the wind.

38:57 So no lame villain. Just unicorns accidentally casting spells on the world. No wonder they became superstitious. Once again, magic in G5 is kinda chaos.

42:21 What are the crystals doing now?

42:56 Oh Izzy.

This was cute and probably inconsequential.

Pacing is once again very slow. It's G5's style. Things get room to breathe. Maybe too much sometimes, but it's a style. This didn't feel like a rough draft that needed some tightening like the first special kinda did. It's just a story that's not in a rush, and that's okay.

We didn't get any Misty abuse. But after Chapter 2, I am okay with that ongoing plot being sidelined so this special could just be its own thing.

I don't have any complaints about the animation. Their ears were constantly moving.

Zipp had the best hat and hair combo. That was a good look.

Hitch otherwise stole the show, and nothing terrible happened to him. He earned this.

Sparky was entirely tolerable here.

Best pony did make an appearance.

I'm happy.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The Play by Play:

Aww, Posey's making friends with the Salon-ponies. That's nice.

Aww, Sprout’s bonding with some old ponies….wait, what?

Oh, Grandma Figgy. We know about her from that map. Good to know she exists. I think that's the last "surprise" we knew about, though.

It REALLy doesn’t make sense that Zipp can’t sing since she had that whole duet with Pipp when they were trapped in a cave together in MYM. She really just doesn't like social gatherings AT ALL, does she?

Hitch WILL start a Grandma fight! Don’t push him!

Sunny’s in full-on cheer mode. Her little giggle’s pretty cute.

Everyone DOES have their own holidays! Good, that’s such a natural plot point given this world’s setup.

Oh, they’re going to do ALL the holidays. That won’t backfire, surely….

“It never snows here” Opaline plot? Or a environmental message?

Bit of a continuity hiccup, since the Marestream isn’t in it’s “upgraded” form at the start here like in TYT. Maybe without the lantern in it, it reverts back to it’s original form?

“THE MARESTREAM!!! You know, if you want to” Bit of Bulk Biceps in there. With a Fluttershy chaser.

Take note: Hitch can’t spot a fake license.

Senior Butterscotch’s revenge! He just keeps showing up!

The Unity Crystal symbol is on the wheel. The lantern knows how to stay on brand!

Hmm…Zipp’s hat IS the most fashionable of the winter outfits. But, I do like Izzy’s antlers and flower tiara.

Cute idea for a song. Each tribe has their own version of the song.

To be fair, it’s kind of YOUR fault for almost running into the pegasi. You shouldn’t be singing and driving, Zipp!

Oh, little Hitch in a dragon/Spike costume!

Are the marshmallows half mint? Why are they green? Are they going to address it...NOPE!

So…Hitch is the stickler for Wish Day traditions…not his grandma…shocker…

"I'll go get napkins" It’d be funnier if Izzy had a messy mouth from the hot chocolate like Sparky, too.

Embarassing Hitch with baby photos…as is tradition! Literally? How did this even start?

Hmm…3 unicorns around the Wishing Tree and 2 more around the edges on the Wishyhoof book. Odd, since most Earth ponies were taught to be afraid of unicorns.

They’re all REALLY good at making cookie cottages

Funny that Grandma didn’t want to come with on their adventure.

“It’ll just take two shakes of a pony’s tail *MM-HMM*” That’s going to be a meme.

You’d think someone or some critter would have taken over Izzy’s house since she’s never there anymore.

“We are VERY SERIOUS about of frolicking!” Just a cute line.

“Don’t you always prepare for losing spontaneous games of charades?”

Onyx! She’s going to be a favorite. Along with Red-haired Emo-mom in the background.

“I don’t remember LIFE before that poem!”

The Wishing Tree can get rid of the jinxies…I’m not sure what that means, but it sounds important.

“GRAB HER!!” Yeah, Izzy WOULD say "Hello" to everyone in town. That fits.

Oh, but there’s only 3 tickets, they’ll have to compete for Pipp and ZIpp’s favor to see who get to go to…oh, we’re not doing that? Okay.

“Shopping isn’t a race, it’s a marathon” The Queen’s channeling Rarity, I swear.

Those poor, poor guardponies. Better be getting overtime for this.

GEEZ, those sad pony eyes from seeing the empty presents! They burn into my very soul!

Wait, what’s Dahlia and Posey doing at the Pegasus concert? …They ran out of character models, didn’t they?

Heh, Izzy has her face stuck in a teacup from sleeping through the concert.

Is it "Wishing Time"? Or "Wishing Tide"? *Looks at the song name in the credits* Oh, it's Wishentine, like Valentine. Okay.

“Joyous Wishentine my darlings” “Thank you, your highness” She really SHOULD be thanking the guards for not being with their families on a major holiday.

Woah-ing in unison and they didn’t even practice!

Okay, I want the PDF they made of that book. It’s clear they actually have full-on words and illustrations already made for it. The writers of this episode actually seem to have made a real version of this book. "A" for effort.

Wishing people happy holidays is dooming the world! The moral of the story: Be a grumpy hermitic shut-in...I guess?

“Warm Wishyhoof” And now they all suffer from a 1000 years of unrelenting heat! Massive forest fires! SMOG!

Huh…okay. I thought the point was going to be that it didn’t matter WHERE you spend the holiday as long as you’re with the people you love and Sunny wouldn’t make it back home that night…but NOPE! Sunny gets back to the lighthouse to see the Wishing Star overhead.

Oh, they all forgot about presents. *phew* I thought we WOULDN’T have a bittersweet ending where we learn the true meaning of this completely made-up holiday created so a corporation could sell toys to all the (parents of the) children of the world.

Wait, they all get their own Bat-Signals? BEST PRESENTS EVER!

Oh, they do get presents…sort of. Way to be wishy-washy writers! I wonder if they actually took the Marestream up to get some cloud-mist?

Other Thoughts:

This seems to be Make Your Mark opening up the world a little to include the other 2 towns. Maybe we won't just be in Maretime Bay in Make Your Mark Season 2?

This whole holiday feels VERY reminiscient of the G3 special "The Twinkle Wish Adventure". I wonder if that was on purpose or not?

They've kind of gone the other way with magic in this special, haven't they? If ponies are mean to each other...they get sucked into a endless void from which there is no return. If they're nice to each other...magic becomes over-literal and becomes a monkey's paw that tries to destroy them with their own hopes and dreams. Ponies just can't win with magic in G5.

So…not even a glimpse of Misty? Or even Opaline? BOO!

So, here's what *I* think Misty and Opaline were up to during the special. They were travelling all around the world. Collecting 7 magical gems that form a magical crystal snowflake that would grant them the power to...blanket Equestria in unending snow. Then they come home to find it's already snowing and they've wasted their time. So, Opaline breaks the gemstones in disgust and gives Misty a day off. Misty finds a big ol’ can of ponycorn in her room! And Opaline finds coal in hers. Santa/Whoever flies away. The End.

Overall:

So, that was...okay. Not amazing, but solid. It kept me entertained. Now just to wait for the next episode of Make Your Mark....probably next year! *SIGH*

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sometimes solid is enough. This didn't want to be spectacular. It just wanted to be "spend a holiday with the G5 cast." I think it did that well enough.

I've had enough chaotic holidays in my own life. I don't need to see these characters have a stressful time of it. I'm fine seeing them just have a good day.

Top Bottom