Metroid

Thefakelink

Citizen
The nice thing about YouTube is you can skip the crappy parts. I figure Other M has about an hour of watchable content.

Thefakelink

Citizen
I did say “about”😋

The intro video recap of the end of Super, the nightmare fight, the Ridley fight and the Phantoon fight are what I think are the best parts. Everything else was meh at best. I still can’t believe they ran out of ideas and had Samus fight a frickin bulldozer.

ok less than an hour.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
The fight with Ridley was okay. Kinda easy. The cinematic leading up to Ridley...that's like one of many huge reasons why most people hate this game.

Thefakelink

Citizen
The fight with Ridley was okay. Kinda easy. The cinematic leading up to Ridley...that's like one of many huge reasons why most people hate this game.
Oh I totally agree. The spectacle of the fight itself was what I meant. Everything leading up to it can be safely excised.

TerraEsperZ

Videogame Cartographer
Citizen
I never finished Other M and not because the gameplay was bad (I actually enjoyed it overall except for the missile that required aiming at the screen) but because the story *really* wasn't good where Samus was concerned. Yoshio Sakamoto apparently can only imagine Samus as two things: either a completely stoic badass, or an woman obsessed with babies and a slave to her emotions.

If you're interested in a better take on Metroid: Other M's story, I suggest watching Metroid: Other M (Redone). It doesn't fix everything, but it gets rid of Samus's persistant inner dialog, makes her an actual agent of the story in regards to Ridley and MB and manages to salvage her relationship with Adam. Considering the limited available footage and dialog, it's the best version of that story you're likely to find.

Last edited:

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Well now that I've beaten Dread. Let's see if I can do this:

Metroid NES: I give it a D. Sorry no nostalgia glasses here. While I did play it way back in the day and enjoyed it, it's the first of it's kind and shows. With the remake there just isn't any reason to bother other then curiosity's sake.

Metroid 2: Return of Samus: I give it a C. This was actually my first Metroid game, and I learned of it by reading a Nintendo Power issue in a waiting room once that had a guide for this game. Ever since reading that guide I was like: "Damn I want to play this game" Finally got a copy and loved it. I can very likely go into it and have fun playing, but yeah, it's better if we stick to the remakes.

Also was is really possible for the Queen to swallow Samus allowing you to bomb her insides? Because I've beaten this game dozens of times, and I never had that happen once.

Super Metroid: S. An easy S. My favorite of the series. I've beaten it so many times. Both under 3 hours and I've gotten 100% at least once. Don't think I ever managed to do 100% under 3 hours. Might try someday.

Metroid Fusion: B. Haven't played through this that many times, but that's my own fault. I keep getting to the area where you can do the shinespark trick to get the hidden message, and keep trying for it. (And keep failing to the point I give up and end up not playing anymore...)

Metroid Dread. Also B. Could have been an A, but take out the EMMI, take out the counter to end a fight or it loops, and bleep some of those shinespark puzzles.

Metroid Prime: A. Its' good. very good. Might actually be an S, I'd have to play it again. It's been over a decade.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. B-. I don't hate it, but it has a couple of really annoying parts. Like the spider guardian. I so hate that boss.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. S. I'm sorry but I freaking LOVED this game. It's a game that makes me sad motion controls are basically done, because they made this game so much better.

Metroid Prime Trilogy. Haven't played through the first two with the motion controls yet, so can't say.

Metroid Prime Hunters. Really only messed around a little with this. It's neat having Metroid on the DS like this, but yeah, the controls are weird as heck.

Metroid Prime Federations Force. Only played a bit of it, but I really enjoy being able to see the world of Metroid through different eyes. I mean it's a spinoff game. Having someone else then Samus for a spinoff is just fine. It's also rare that you get to explore a world via someone who isn't the main hero, so I respect this exists.

Metroid Samus Returns: I'm pretty sure I really liked it, so I think it's an A. Sadly I'm having trouble remembering it at the moment.

AM2R - Yes I'm counting it, and it gets an A+ if not an S. This was a great Metroid fan game, and one I don't mind coming back to sometime. I'd love to burn this to a cart somehow and play it on an actual system.

Metroid Pinball - Haven't messed with it much. Mainly because I still need to get the rumble pak.

The virtual boy Galactic Pinball mini shooter game. B, it's fun! So is the game! It's just a shame it's on the Virtual Boy.

Okay enough messing around.

Metroid Other M. It gets a.............. C. Maybe a C-.

There IS a good game to be had here. It's just a shame we can't tweak it to actually work. It's been a while, but I don't recall the sideways wii mote being too much trouble. I got used to the aim at the screen for missiles, but yeah, that's just not great. I suppose they didn't want to include the nunchuck because then it'd basically be a Metroid Prime game, but you needed to figure SOMETHING out to let me move a bit while aiming a missle. Other than that though, the combat is pretty solid. The platforming is also pretty decent. It just all gets way bogged down with those pixel hunts, and the god awful story. That girl is NOT Samus.

I don't outright hate it. I'd even be fine with Samus listening to Adam and not using certain things till authorized, but the Varia suit!? The Varia suit AFTER going into a lava area!? Why? Why?! That makes no sense. I'll never accept that, it's just flat out stupid.

If we could get a better story, tweak the missle thing, I think we'd have a pretty solid title. I loved fighting some of the previous bosses in this new way. I agree that the Nightmare, and Phantoon are highlights. Phantoon is also one of my favorite bosses from Super, so I loved getting to fight this new version.

So, when do we want to do this ranking thing with all the MegaMan games? :p

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Metroid games have always been a bit weird for me. I'm slow, methodical, and thorough. 100% completion is my normal MO.

What I absolutely hate is time restrictions. So when playing Metroid games, I'm torn between my desire to get 100%, and my desire to finish fast enough for the best ending. I'm basically only happy when I manage to do both in one run.

Note that I'm not just talking about 100% of the items. I mean 100% of everything. The entire map uncovered. All locked doors open. All secret blocks destroyed. Everything.

I managed to do that in Zero Mission on normal with several minutes to spare. Mapped out my route in GIMP beforehand, and just plowed through it after doing a few runs to get all the endings. Gives me plenty of time to get the under 2 hour 100% ending. Barely managed it in Super Metroid back in the day. My main save file barely allows me to get the under 3 hour ending if I really rush through from the last save point. Usually end up having to choose between saving the animals or getting in under 3 hours though, so I always wanted to take another crack at it. Don't think I ever did finish the timed runs in Return of Samus or Fusion.

That's actually something I really like about Dread. There are multiple gallery images to unlock by completion time, but those are separate from the unchanging ending. So while it's necessary to do a couple speed runs to unlock everything, I know I can eventually take my time in that final run to get the save file I want to preserve. No rushing necessary. That will be a really nice change of pace.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
O1ITL5l.jpg

Just beat Dread. Exhausting definitely sums it up. Each boss required required a whole lot of pattern-reading, and it felt like every five minutes you ran into another boss. It's so satisfying to finally beat something that fills the screen with lasers, but man I just want to chill and explore for a little while.

Only upon looking around for items did I discover a morph ball tube in Kraid's room. I, uh, guess I missed out on a way to really hurt him?

Caldwin

Citizen
Kinda! It's a fast way to kill him in phase 2, but it requires some sequence breaking. It was one of those things where the developers were like "we know sequence breaking is a thing, so if you can do it, here's a little something for you. I only know about it because of Youtube.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Dread's got me in the mood to play the older Metroid games. Starting with Zero Mission naturally enough, which I ended up re-buying on the WiiU's virtual console because I can barely see what's happening on the old SP's tiny ass backlit screen (and my DSs' bumper buttons don't want to work). I see the eshop has Prime Trilogy, too, which I'll probably end up getting just for the easier version of Echoes.

Caldwin

Citizen
Dread's got me in the mood to play the older Metroid games. Starting with Zero Mission naturally enough, which I ended up re-buying on the WiiU's virtual console because I can barely see what's happening on the old SP's tiny ass backlit screen (and my DSs' bumper buttons don't want to work). I see the eshop has Prime Trilogy, too, which I'll probably end up getting just for the easier version of Echoes.

The Wii U's a great system to play Metroid on. Other than the (3)DS-exclusive games, I think it's got all of them up to Dread available in the eShop.

You know, just because I knew that I had all the Metroid games in some form or another, I totally neglected to see how many of them I could play on the actual television. It was these posts that made me go back to my WiiU to check and see. I already had Super Metroid and Zero Mission, but I did not have Fusion. I mean, I had Fusion on the original Advance and on the 3DS. But it's so nice being able to play it now on my 48 inch television instead of those tiny portable screens.

The only draw back is that the graphics were really made for the small screen. The big screen really shows off all of the pixels. But that's a small price to pay to be able to actually see what's going on without straining my old-man eyes.

Noideaforaname: Prime Trilogy really is the best way to play the games. I got the original physical Wii steelbook version. So there's no real need for me to buy it on WiiU since it's backwards compatible. But it definitely is the best way to play it. It's one of the few games where I appreciate the motion controls over the traditional controller. Plus it's in 16x9. I believe the original 1 and 2 were in 4x3.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well took the time to 100% items on my Dread save. Those Shinespark puzzles were always a pain, but at least I can say I did them. Pretty much every power up left was stuck behind one of some sort. Other than one corner of an EMMI zone I hadn’t explored yet after getting the grapple beam.

But never going to get those ending screens. Never have been a speedrunner.

Sjogre

Citizen
The cutoff time is four hours. You might need to try a shortcut or two, but it's a manageable time, and if you've gotten a hundred percent then you've developed the gameplay skills needed.

It's worth trying. You might surprise yourself.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Ya it's not happening anytime soon. I love the game but I've burnt out trying to replay it faster already. Always get stuck trying to find my way after the second EMMI or so.

Caldwin

Citizen
So I guess now there's a demo out for Dread. Of course, having already beaten the full game, there's really no reason I would have to download a demo. I'm just letting you all know in case there's a fence sitter. Nope. No reason I would download it. *looks at Switch* Nope. Not even worth the space. *nervous twitching* I mean, I already have the...oh for hugs sake! *goes to download demo of a game he's already beaten*

Thefakelink

Citizen
Hopefully the demo will satisfy any unanswered questions you might have about the game.
Is it the completionist in you?

Top Bottom