Mental Health and Suicide

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Alright, so we talked to the doctor this morning, and we had some questions answered, but it frankly did nothing to make anyone feel better.

1.) he's got two blocked arteries, and a faulty valve. The doctor doesn't know what the surgical procedure will be: he's not a surgeon.
2.) They never even bothered to contact his family doctor to get his medical file. Which is why they spent the first week freaking out over his liver enzyme levels.
3.) They don't know WHEN his surgery will be.
4.) They can indeed let him come home OR transfer him to the closer hospital... but doing either of these will delay the surgery an unknown amount.

So yeah, great ******* morning so far, a ton of words wasted to figure out absolutely nothing use... *cell phone rings*

Christ, now what?!?!?

*answers phone*

Oh... So that was the doctor again. He just checked with the heart center: they're going to transfer him sunday and cut him on monday.

So maybe that luck worked a little bit.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I guess at least now you have a timeline. Not sure what to say besides my prayers are with you and hopefully this will soon be behind you.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Glad the surgery got moved up. I hope your dad also gets his ears checked out. What's the harm in needing a hearing aid?

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The harm is he doesn't want to look like an old man.

Which is of course why he doesn't brush his hair, shave, or wear any of the new clothes he keeps getting.

He's a ******* idiot.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In my experience, getting things started, getting on someone's schedule, is the hardest part. Once things finally get moving, these people know what to do.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So the hospital he's in is dealing with a fungus problem: Oh, it's also transmissible to humans.

Because this is LITERALLY how "the last of us" ******* started.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
One year ago today my dad was admitted to a hospital for stage 4 cancer and suspected liver failure.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
... been that long already? Huh, guess it has. Probably seemed to drag along forever for you though, Fnu. Glad your dad is doing better.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Speaking of dads: mine finally made it to the institution where he'll get his surgery, which is supposed to be at some point tomorrow. Apparently they will call us once the surgery is complete, which is a nice step up from the fungi infected shit hole he came from.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
If they do, they haven't shared. We don't even know what kind of surgery (micro or traditional.) he's getting. All we basically know at this point is where he is and that they will call when the surgery is over.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Welp, surgery was canceled for today and rescheduled for tomorrow. Given the current track record of incompetence, I guess that'll happen tomorrow too.

Caldwin

Citizen
You see, there's two things (in particular) that piss me off about that.

1. They break an appointment and we just have to take it. We break an appointment and you better believe there will be fees.

2. The lack of communication is very unprofessional. I can forgive and roll with a lot of situations if they would simply say why.

I don't know where you live, but one thing I like about where I live is that they know they aren't the only ones in town. I can drive myself anywhere I want, so they better make sure I know what they're doing, when they're doing it and why.

I do hope this gets resolved soon. Screwing around with someone's healthcare is totally unconscionable.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I'm in quebec: and there is no option. There's a SEVERE shortage of doctors of all kinds, medical staff and medical capacity in general. One of the reasons they delayed his transfer is literally because there wasn't a bed where he was going. And even after they pushed the transfer back, the transport was late.

Even with private insurance (which we do not have. As in, the family, not the option for private insurance.), there is still the requirement to interface with the public system in terms of most procedures. Sure: you can pay to get an MRI or catscan done without the six month wait: but there's still a years long waiting list to actually DO SOMETHING with that information.

It was shitty even before the pandemic, now it's worse, and none of the fuckwit wastes of carbon we call politicians are capable of doing anything.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So his surgery was at 7 am this morning, and supposed to last 6 hours, at which time we were to be contacted by the hospital to let us know his condition. It's 6 hours after THAT and we still know nothing. We've called the hospital three time, the first two were "we don't know anything, call back later" and the third time we had a nice conversation with a rather shocked woman that there hadn't been any communication: but she still didn't have any information to share with us.

Edit: doc finally called a few minutes ago. They replaced his aortic valve, and bypassed a completely blocked artery, so he did indeed have open heart surgery. There were also two other blocked arteries, but apparently they are minor arteries and can't be fixed. He's going to be in the ICU till tomorrow, maybe the day after depending on how he handles it, then a week in a normal room. So yeah: he lived.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
There's a lot of scary words in there: open heart, blocked arteries, replaced aortic valve. I can't imagine. Good news is he's alive. Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom