Mental Health and Suicide

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I almost don't blame them. They have thousands of patients. As much as we want them to take their time with every patient, it is simply not temporally possible. So they save time here and there by making educated guesses that probably work out most of the time. They don't know everything, but they know enough that their guess is supposed to be better than yours. They lie and bluff and hope you'll never find out because most of the time their guess works. This current hospital is a lot better but I catch them doing it too. They make realistic but wrong guesses because they think they can save time by not actually reading his file. This is partly why I have to be there all day every day. My dad is too overwhelmed to keep up with the information whirlwind but I can battle the system for him.

But I'll raise hell when we don't need them anymore.

There is one bit of good news today. They've declared him no longer critical and moved him to another wing. This one's not a guess. It's based on his numbers getting back to normal and staying there for long enough. It's going to be a miserable couple of days but it beats slipping into a coma.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, hospitals and other health care sites are severely overworked and understaffed, especially these days. Definitely still file a complaint, though. Make sure to tell them they were wrong. Hope they at least reduce the bills, if not eliminate them.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am sure his mother will call her peeps and have it taken care of. I don't know the names of all the doctors that screwed up but she will find them. Somehow.

Seriously. During one of these hospital visits she thought they were ignoring him so she called one of his nurses. I didn't tell her where he was, and they don't publish that kind of information online, and she's not on the list of his approved contacts, so how she found that number is a mystery. We're not surprised that she did it but we don't know how.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I know that, comparatively speaking, my problems are small compared to everyone else...but honestly, I feel like things are reaching the breaking point here.

Just before Christmas, we had that big freeze. Something happened with my plumbing during the worst of it, and it led to at least one valve cracking or breaking, which led to a constant stream of hot water coming out of the faucet for my shower. The only way to stop that was to cut off the flow of hot water to my water heater. I contacted the property managers about this, but they have been dragging their feet doing anything about it. I contacted the board of health in the hopes that doing so would encourage my property managers to get up off their butts, but that appears to have just added another layer of red tape. Combine that with work being a major headache right now and all of my preexisting problems, and I just feel overwhelmed, depressed, and generally unhappy.

Is it wrong for me to feel like life is screwing me over?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
No, absolutely not.

In fact, it's kind of an entirely natural sensation when dealing with people in perceived places of authority and bureaucracy.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, it's normal to feel that way when everything piles on at once.
Are you in an apartment? Call management at least once a day. If they can't fix it soon, ask if they can put you up in another room for the meantime, or lower the rent.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Yeah, it's normal to feel that way when everything piles on at once.
Are you in an apartment? Call management at least once a day. If they can't fix it soon, ask if they can put you up in another room for the meantime, or lower the rent.

I'm renting a house. Calling the property managers is a waste of time. I've called them about one issue or another every chance I could get since they took over (them replacing a lock on one of my doors and failing to give me the combination to the lockbox that contained the new key for starters), have only gotten a hold of someone once, and they never answer any voicemails that are left. Getting in touch with them via text is easier, but not by much. Their main offices apparently can't be bothered to coordinate with their maintenance department, and I've already had one instance where they've claimed that a technician came to my residence while I was away at work and attempted to contact me, only for me to have no record of such contact. And this is in spite of me not only having the correct contact information with the property managers, but also leaving hand-written notes taped to all three entrances.

I'm hoping that things will be resolved this week, but unfortunately, they've already raised my rent...plus started charging me a month-by-month lease.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I can sit down!

Unfortunately my dad has a roommate now, and I no longer have somewhere to sit. So I stood all day.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
On my feet all day again. I am tired.

They're keeping him a few more days for observation and physical therapy. This time when they let him leave they want to be sure they won't see him again for a while. Maybe they won't. I think he's done with all his doctor visits, and they didn't find anything else to work on. He just needs to build back up again. It'll take a while because he got very deep in a hole, but nobody seems to see any obstacles but time.

So he'll be there a few days. I can take a brea- He's lonely and wants me there the whole time. *sigh* I understand. This is a lot harder on him than it is on me. It's going to be even more boring in there if doctors are bothering him less.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
They should have a chair you can use. If not, ask if you can bring a folding chair or something.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Another long day on my feet. I think I'm evolving a stay apparatus. I guess it was my destiny.

His energy level was not good today. Scary low. Maybe it's just the lack of sleep and constant bloodletting. I don't know how it's supposed to be possible to recover in a hospital. His vitals are still okay, and they've disconnected his IV. They don't think there's anything left to do but get physical therapy going. But he has no energy. I don't know how they're going to get him to do it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was only on my feet for six hours in a row today.

Honestly he looks and sounds terrible, but they still cannot find anything wrong with him inside. He is on a strong blood thinner, and they tell me that could be making him loopier than he already would be. I don't know why they even have him on it. Maybe it was a precaution because they couldn't wait to find out was wrong with him. Maybe it was a "treatments now, find out which one worked later" kind of thing.

As far as data goes though, the second biggest news of the day is that they want to discharge him tomorrow if nothing suddenly gets worse. The biggest news, and probably the reason they want to send him home, is they sent some suspicious fluid to the lab and they told me it came back negative for malignancy.

The luck is helping.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
His heart stopped at 4 in the morning. He is on life support but he is probably never waking up. There was not a thing wrong with his heart during this entire year and a half nightmare, so nobody say that coming. So I had a lot of time to prepare for this and also zero time to prepare for this.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Kinda sounds like he was ready to stop.

I'm sorry man, everyone has their limit and he's all out of fight.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'm so sorry to hear that Fnu. I lost my grandmother last year and it's still a bit sore. I don't even want to think about losing a parent.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I'm sorry Fnu. There's no way you could've prepared for this; you've done everything you could have.

Top Bottom