Mayhems tangled mess of controler cords

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
Eh, Digimon’s lost its luster since everything eventually turns into Agumon or waifus.

Might give it a shot but not at launch

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The Cyber Sleuth games were good. Main downpoint was taking up too much time with the Royal Knights bickering yet again.

unluckiness

Citizen
Between the various TV shows that only have tenuous links to each other, it’s easy to forget that there’s some stupidly complex Digimon lore that is apparently told through trading card advertising material or something.
I have Cyber sleuth downloded but never got around to it. Maybe i should.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Unlike Pokemon, Digimon keeps trying to reinvent itself. Sometimes more successfully than others.

A lot of them are also really overdesigned, which doesn't lend itself as well to merchandising.

unluckiness

Citizen
The animes are a bizarre no man's land between children's and older audience anime in terms of plot, themes and character design. Makes it hard to market, particularly to international audiences.

A not-so-popular card game and occasional video games aren't enough to create a megafranchise.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Was Digimon ever actually that popular or was it just a case of 'well it's the closest competitor to Pokémon but it was still far behind it in terms of sales and popularity'?

unluckiness

Citizen
It was huge in Japan but that was when it was basically tamagotchi but with battling, around simultaneous with the first Pokemon releases. When Pokemon boomed, it had some of that residual clout but Pokemon definitely knocked a lot of the wind out of their sails . The Adventure anime helped raise its profile but it's been decaying ever since.

Sharkshadow

Citizen
The card game is apparently doing well enough that some of the ccg websites i frequent have sections for it.

unluckiness

Citizen
Huh, there’s a new card game. The one i was familiar with was busted, basically boiling down to vaccine/data/virus matchups.

unluckiness

Citizen
It's a competently animated, wholesome 90-00's anime with well-written protagonists, decent action and that doesn't have an out of control episode count. That's pretty much a unicorn.

And ignore 02, the sequel and Tri. And of course, not watch the dub.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Citizen
Not gonna lie, Angela Anaconda’s parody was somehow less annoying than the actual dub. I remember our school library once showed the first few episodes off a VHS tape and everyone there was like WTF is this shit.

For context, we had the Japanese-made English language version as our reference for Digimon.

unluckiness

Citizen
Mario 64's final Bowser fight is such bullcrap. It's not particularly hard but the random teleporting makes me think that they were running out of creative steam at that point. Maybe cartridge space too.

Sharkshadow

Citizen
june 29th me:Wasn't there something i was saving money for this month? oh well probobly nothing " spends hobby budget on miniatures"
july 1st me: oh right. this came out.
crap baskets.

Top Bottom