Mayhem Transformers Discussion: If HasTak can't be bothered to come up with new titles, neither can I

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
6mvyr6.jpg

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Partsforming is shit. Just make a bigass actionmaster and save everyone the hassle.

Can’t really fault them though, seeing the ridiculousNess is a result of religiously following how the okd cartoon did it. And Takara’s Masterpiece trainwreck isn’t a convincing argument against it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's weird. I hated the partsforming when it was the toon version. They did achieve their goal of the tooniest Devastator ever made but it wasn't worth it.

But this? I want this. I'm having to remind myself that I hate how they designed it. This is the spitting image of the Devastator I imagined back in 2004 when people were building Devastators out of Tonka trucks and Armada Unicron parts.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
It's a lot more appropriate for the toy homage version since the original devastator was also more than half partsforming crap by mass. Problem is, this was designed thirty years later with a far larger budget.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Devastator has to be hard to design. Not only does the cartoon blatantly have extra mass magically grow out of somewhere, but the animators couldn't even make up their minds where the extra mass is supposed to magically grow from. This approach sucks but there's a certain honesty to it.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Preordered Scourge. Don't really care about the inaccurate black:gray ratio but the clear pink windowboobs gotta go.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
We don't have Walmarts or whatever chain it's exclusive to here, so it's basically a mass release toy available to any vendors who are willing to carry it.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So this showed up on BBTS
I wonder if Action Toys lost the license? Also, has anyone bought Megahouse figures before? How is the quality? I don't like to pass up new Machine Robo/Gobot offerings, but when it's a character I have several iterations of, it's hard to drop that kind of money. Now, if they did Leo Tribe Sofia...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hopefully these guys are faster than Action Toys.

The only thing I know about Megahouse is their Mospeada stuff was amazingly bad. Not especially fragile, just full of stupid design ideas. But that was a long time ago now.

Haywire

Citizen
Well, in theory, it should be hard to screw up Drill, but Action Toys' version had some questionable design choices, too. It's been a while since I got that one out, so I'm a little fuzzy on specifics, but I think there were some hip articulation issues.

I may pass on this one, anyway, but if they announce characters Action Toys never got around to releasing (cough) Turbo (cough), I'll be extremely interested.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Action Toys was the "legit" face of the 3P group Maketoys, who are effectively out of business.

I didn't expect much but that looks terrible. Least they could have done was at least lock or tab the arms in place

Haywire

Citizen
I didn't realize Action Toys and Maketoys were connected. That makes sense.

I think part of what bothers me about this Drill is the hands. Drill doesn't have round fingers, he's a tough bruiser machine, and so he's got tough mechanical claws (which he often grabbed one of the Devil Satan Six from underground with). It does appear that his correct hands are among the optional parts, but the other 2 pair are just wrong.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
It’s a cool piece. Not cool enough to start a new, very idiosyncratic scale and aesthetic but definitely cool.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I can see what they were going for. They were already doing their own thing with their IDW based stuff, but IDW is dead and they needed a new thing.

But this is the only one of these that looks any good. And that's if the joints don't start cracking before the month is over.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
IF really need to ditch whatever that plastic they like using is. It’s very rigid, has no give and has this weird chalky texture to it. Anybody who’s handled an Iron Factory toy willknow what I’m talking about. Coating everything in a layer of paint like the samurai figures are doing cannot help. being somewhat bigger might buy grimlock some grace though. IIRC breakages were all on tiny, tiny balll joint ball stems or sockets.

Bludgeon was cool but is made of cheese. Lio Convoy is real messy. Cyclonus turns into a leaf, Lockdown has hips for miles.Drift is a mainline legends/core toywith a few more joints, terrible all around

Last edited:

Top Bottom