Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
heh, it also has the red bumper that everyone complained about on the actual MP.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
That's also actually a really clever transformation just for the Prime part too. Like, it hides the wheels like MP $440 with a lot fewer parts.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
The recently revealed MP one is insanely clean for an all-in-one Magnus. TBH, not so impressed by any of the dress-up Magnuses. I like the concept but none of them so far really makes the most of the armoring up concept. I dunno why you'd bother towing around the equivalent of an entire other dude when the only gains are some piddly shoulder rockets.
X-Transbots MX-22 Commander Stack-03.jpgX-Transbots MX-22 Commander Stack-01.jpgX-Transbots MX-22 Commander Stack-17.jpg

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
X-Transbots' Ultra Magnus really is the best looking one yet, but Newage's really shouldn't look as good at it does given the much harder job it has. We're living in good times.

unluckiness

Citizen
The cab is impressive but the Magnus parts just don't wow me given they act as slightly less lumpy Lego

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I honestly have a hard time considering Ultra Magnus as a 'robot that gets powered up with armor' because of how ingrained it is that his 'powered up' form is literally just his default form without there being a smaller robot. IDK toys that do it just come off more as 'wanting to homage the original toy' than anything else.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If TFTM had embraced the inner robot gimmick it would have explained how he survives getting shot until he explodes.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not when there's no apparent in-universe logic as to who can be rebuilt and who can't.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
My guess is that it depends on the severity of the damage and on how long they've been deactivated. Ultra Magnus was ripped apart, but he was only down for, like, half an hour or so.

I mean, the real out-of-universe reason is that he was a big new toy and they're not gonna kill him off that quickly when they still have to sell him, compared to all those season one guys whose toys were off the shelves by then, but that's no fun.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
The cab is impressive but the Magnus parts just don't wow me given they act as slightly less lumpy Lego
I don't mind a little partsforming in general if it results in a better looking toy, but if we're talking about the Newage one, it's breaking into fewer pieces to the Hasbro ones, since Newage's arms are all one piece. To me, if a trailer breaks up into armor bits like Magnus's usually does, it's not even cheating, the thing it's turning into is a pile of armor you wouldn't expect to be all one piece in the first place. And we've seen how wrong the alternative can go in those movie Optimus / Jetfire sets....

unluckiness

Citizen
Call it desensitization. Torso transforms basically like MP Magnus and the other three or four Legends class Magnuseses. and the partsforming isn't exactly astonishing

Not when there's no apparent in-universe logic as to who can be rebuilt and who can't.
If they don't turn gray, they're A-okay

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Call it desensitization. Torso transforms basically like MP Magnus and the other three or four Legends class Magnuseses. and the partsforming isn't exactly astonishing

Getting big improvements with small changes is efficient design work.

unluckiness

Citizen
even the first, crappier Magic Square Magnus from three or four years ago managed to do the same thing. No need to reinvent the wheel and all but i don’t see the need to celebrate keeping the wheel either

Last edited:

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I can't tell quite what you're talking about. The torso transformation on the Newage one is similar to that of the all-in-one Magic Square Magnus, but the Magic Square Magnus with an inner Prime splits into like fifty pieces, not five.

unluckiness

Citizen
I'm just saying that with a rehashed transformation and the crutch of partsforming, it's far from New Age's best work. Their minibots in particular are incredible. This is a solid release but not exactly raiding the bar

Last edited:

Top Bottom