Mass Effect

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It wasn't even my journey but I wish I could read that too. I didn't pay a lot of attention in the beginning but the apparent enduring replayability has me interested. It's been a while and I haven't noticed anything else pulling off the same thing.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
For me, it's not even so much about the gameplay, though even the gameplay is really good (ignoring vehicle sections). It's just how deep the lore goes. There's just so much detail they really didn't have to put into the game but they do.

You never have an Elcor or a Hanar team mate. But by the end, you know everything about their societies. Every species, every team mate has a very fleshed out history to them.

Most games I know only give you enough background to drive the plot. But Mass Effect is just so deep, and that's even if you don't read all of the Codex stuff.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I only occasionally watched TMM play and got invested in the characters and story. I couldn't do the gameplay myself even on Story/Easy mode, though.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just want the ability to make choices, and pick what kind of person I want to be. I know darn well I'm not going to make the mean choices, but knowing I could is worth something.

Caldwin

Citizen
Give it a try. Decisions do get tough, but they're always yours. I mean, the story will still get to the same places, but how your character reacts is up to you.

And you certainly have enough people here, you'll have the best strategy guide you could ask for.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm bad at games. I am going to make you wonder whether to intervene or watch the trainwreck.

Caldwin

Citizen
I mean, it is a video game. Your life doesn't exactly hang in the balance whether or not you do well here. 😜

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, my story was well documented on the old boards, so everyone probably already knows. But hey, I'll bite.

At first "Mass Effect " was just a drop in the bucket of game titles I would probably never play. But then the FOX report about sex in video games hit and it gained some notoriety.

Still, it was an X-Box exclusive, so th there was no way I would ever be able to play it. Even when the second and third games came out for Play Station, there wasn't much reason to play those without being able to play the first one.

Then I bought my WiiU. I wanted an actual game since the pack in was more of a tech demo. I saw the WiiU version of Mass Effect 3 and was about to buy it. But then I saw the entire trilogy for PS3 for the same price. Hmm, I could get just the last game or I could get the entire trilogy for the same price. Let.me.think.

I got the trilogy for PS3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 for WiiU. The rest is history.

Caldwin

Citizen
I came for the sex scenes and stayed for the surprisingly well written characters and how much you truly begin to care about them and their lives; even more so than other well written RPG's, including Final Fantasy and Zelda.

Caldwin

Citizen
Welp! I just finished ME1...again. So I guess it's time to start ME2...again. I will say, I'm sure my default class will always be Vanguard. But I'm enjoying Engineer. I always have a hard time with Garrus's recruitment in ME2. I'm not sure how it's going to go while doing it with a class I'm still unfamiliar with. But it should be interesting in any case. Just gotta wait for ME1's credits to finish.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
15621941.jpg

This is Grunt. He is your shotgun-wielding alien murderlizard stepson. You will love Grunt.

Caldwin

Citizen
You can choose from a decent sized armory and mods. But you can't make them look different If you mean like changing textures or colors.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
There is quite a bit of customization for your Shepard. Which only matters in cutscenes. Also recommend playing with FemShep.

Caldwin

Citizen
13 of my 15 play throughs have been fem-shep. Definitely recommend...unless you plan on romancing Tali, which I did with both of my Male-Shep play throughs.

The thing is, my last play through with male-shep kinda changed my mind. I still prefer Fem-shep, but...well...I think I said it before on the old boards. But Mark Meer's performance started out not as good but by the third game was as good (and even better in some places) as Fem Shep. But Jennifer Hale was just consistently good as Fem-Shep.

Caldwin

Citizen
Step 1: Recruit Grunt first.

Step 2: Let Grunt play. You're his sidekick now.
Thanks for the tip. That actually really worked. I may go with that from now on. Not only do I have another scrapper at my side, I also got another level out of it.

As much as I like Garrus, his recruitment mission usually gets me killed at least a couple times getting those shutters shut. Nice to have a Krogan edge.

Top Bottom