Marvel's Hawkeye on Disney Plus

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Damn Hawkeye why you gotta be so evasive about names. "I met someone" "It belonged to someone I worked with" its like dude, this is not sensitive information.

Maybe he just doesn't like saying their names because they died? I dunno. Felt weird to have it come up so many times this episode.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The writing's kind of uneven here, and I felt that a lot in this week's episode (which was still very enjoyable).

I enjoy each character separately, but the trajectory that Kate is on is a bit forced. I get that it's supposed to sort of feel that way for Clint, but her whole "I met you a few days ago and I'm committed to brute-forcing my way into this" energy for the last couple of episodes is getting old. I can see her turning out to be wrong about Jack (and it seems even she is starting to doubt that conviction at this point), but this is something else. Her entire character right now is 30% "she's got skills" and 70% "steamrolling right over actually valid concerns". They may be saving the "sobering" character turn for later, but it's taking a bit too long and the character is becoming insufferable.

There's also odd things like "sup I know Hawkeye" being enough to talk NYPD personnel into evidence tampering (which is explicitly referred to as such!). Not even going through previous contact Grills, just walking up to the LARPER group that's met Hawkeye but never her, and announcing the intention -- and it works.

The writing and especially the performances are great in other spots, like the quieter character development moments have been handled pretty well. And Renner and Steinfeld play off well together.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Despite reassurances, I still got skeeved at the Christmas night bonding. Flipping coins should not be a will-they-won't-they thing. Pizza doggie, do a better chaperoning job!

The suit thief still not called out, boo.

I was so excited at the end! With Spider-Verse happening, I just knew someone out there was adventuring as Night Monkey! Woooooo...

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I kinda hate it but I'm actually starting to like Jack. Like hes clearly a murderer and helping launder mob money but last episode really had me going "I mean hes a murderer but he killed a dude threatening his fiance and Clint the hero has done worse.. Natasha had done worse.. Maybe we just let it slide"

My gut feeling however is that Eleanor is also involved in criminal actives. Honestly part of me wonders if Jack isn't a misdirection and shes the one that killed the dude and Jack is a red herring

Shadewing

Citizen
Well Jack in the comics is "The Swordsman" so, who knows where they'll go with him, or even Kiza with him also having an alter ego in the comics.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I agree, when the subject matter of said interactions is anything other than her status as a costumed hero. The quiet, more reflective moments are great, as are the occasional bits about archery and actual skill stuff like the coin-flip bit. It's just the bits where she bangs on about branding and why won't he take her seriously as a partner, when the show is taking pains to lay out the continuing effects of Clint's PTSD and the threat level of this whole situation. It's a hard characterization balance to strike, I guess.

But when it's good, the banter feels more natural and enjoyable than almost anything they had Sam/Bucky doing. Definitely a strong point of the show.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Well Jack in the comics is "The Swordsman" so, who knows where they'll go with him, or even Kiza with him also having an alter ego in the comics.
Kazi the interpreter has a comic alter ego?!? I had to look it up. Wow, no joke. (Edit - actually, he'd be joking. But then he'd be from DC if he was known for that, haha. Ok, enough clowning around.)

I know Swordsman in the comics became good for a while and got killed (and became a sentient plant) so, hmm, it's possible that he's just a red herring as the killer, yeah.

I'd be annoyed that this show is really more of Kate Bishop instead of Clint but since I don't care so much about MCU Hawkeye, I'm ok.

I want Pizza (Pizza Dog is his whole name?) to be revealed to be a Skrull or something. He was doing suspicious stuff in the first ep.

There's so many threads in the show that I don't know how they're going to wrap it up.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, when they had that with Loki, they found a way out by announcing a second season.

Dvandom

Citizen
So, I guess in the comics, Kazi is a "What if Dick Grayson wasn't found by Batman" deal. Probably just reusing the name and general role here, though, same as Jack.

---Dave

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I do find these current revelations.. confusing.

Okay so seeing the snap from the perspective of someone who got snapped was pretty cool. I mean we technically saw it in Wandavision but we didn't SEE it SEE it you know?

I was right the mom was up to something. Jack seems way to chill about being arrested which makes me feel like they were always both in on it and hes assuming he will just spend a little time in holding and the big man will clear things up for him. Might not be the case.

E. Bishop hired Yelena to kill Barton... which is odd because the end of Black Widow made it seem like Val was the one piloting her to a course of revenge? What did she just sit on this for a year hoping someone would hire her to go kill the person she already wanted dead? Also why hire her to kill Barton? She didn't even know he was on to things until he showed up in her house and by the time he left her house he had already agreed to leave Kate out of it. So why? Its not to protect Maya it doesn't seem like.

Maya still has the watch? It was already odd she was holding on to it for so long but even weirder after it almost got stolen because she left it sitting out on a shelf in plain view

Kate mentions the new and improved statue of liberty which is interesting considering the movie that just came out today. I guess we have a timeline for when these events occur now.

Maya never questioned why Kazi wasn't there? in like.. a decade or more? Really? This conversation is only coming up now? Hes had all this time and doesn't have a better excuse than "I dunno, I didn't get the call?"

I dunno. I liked it but there were a lot of questions with this one.

Top Bottom