Magic the Gathering

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
182EF830-E4B3-4974-9C97-6F60361F761C.jpeg

Just a few of my more prized cards. The oversized Mirri, Sisay, Squee and Tahngarth came earlier this week. Ertai Gerrard, Karn and Maraxus came today.

I have a thing for the Weatherlight crew.

Anyway, here's your Magic the Gathering thread. Enjoy!

Caldwin

Citizen
That version of the card is actually quite expensive on eBay. I'm tempted, but I got bills to pay.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
One of the first Secret Lair drops was cat themed I immediately jumped on it to add to my cat commander deck. Both Mirri and Arahbo can be my commander though I think Arahbo has been somewhat banned in formal Commander. Captain Sisay is another I run in it despite not fitting the theme. But she helps get my legendary cats out.

C2A9DC8C-1A78-4DC1-BB85-926EBF57C7CF.jpeg

Patch

Citizen
I ended up buying some cards... it's started again... 😓

Just a few packs of Jumpstart and Modern Horizons 2, but I'm planning to pick up some of the Commander precons as well.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I enjoyed Modern Horizons 1 over 2, but that's because 1 had Slivers and more recognizeable characters from the Lore for me. MH2 went deeper into the lore than before and that was beyond even my knowledge of the Games history.

Jumpstart if you can get a hold of a good handfull of packs between you and some friends can be a great time. It was a fun entry point for my friend who barely ever looked at M:tG before. But the Commander precons.... I kinda wish they had kept to the more affordable 20ish dollar pricepoint rather than go back to the 40 dollar one. Heck you don't even get the oversized foil of the commander anymore rather than a double thickness normal sized card in the newest ones. It's weird, and WotC needs to stopping messing with stuff so much.

Caldwin

Citizen
On a whim, I went to a tabletop game store on my way home and found these beauts.
0C5A5A26-6230-455C-B3DE-9AABD6EE6876.jpeg

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Oooooh you got the rulebook art Drizzt! Nice! And Hanna sadly only ever gets the new artwork but never a fully new card compared to the rest of the older Weatherlight crew.

That reminds me. You weren't in the game when Dominaria hit a few years back were you Caldwin? The Weatherlight flies again with a new crew! One is a descendant of Captain Sisay, and there are a few Capashans in the set. Squee even came back I think.

The Weatherlight itself got an updated Vehicle card.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, I had to look a few things up on wikipedia because we're talking about a hobby that's been pretty much life spanning. I also sold a good chunk of my collection, so I'm counting on faulty memories here on where I stopped exactly.

I first started playing MtG somewhere around 1994. It was after Revised Edition but before Fourth Edition. Fallen Empires was already out but still being sold. So, mathing here, I would've been a freshman in high school.

I collected and played through college which I graduated 2001. That puts my end at the Sixth/Seventh edition. I definitely remember the symbol for the Prophecy expansion, but could conceivably have collected through Odyssey.

I did buy a booster here and there even after I stopped playing, but didn't keep up with mechanics or lore. Like it looks like I have some cards from (googles) Scars of Mirrodin (2010). And of course I've bought single cards because I like Mirri and the Weatherlight crew...and Drizzt.

Sooooooo, long story short...

Too late!!!!

No, I wasn't around for Dominaria.

Caldwin

Citizen
@Daith
Thanks for letting me know there actually is a Weatherlight card. Found one on eBay for just a couple dollars.

I kinda want the Hanna commander card. But whereas I was able to get those others in lots of 4 for $16, Hanna seems to be going for $19 just for hers, which kinda misses the sweet spot.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Commander? Or the Vanguard one. I’m pretty sure most Hanna reprints aren’t too high these days, but those Vanguard ones are probably a pretty penny’s worth now.

And actually the Weatherlight has two different cards. The one I posted was the post rebuild in the Dominaria set. Skyship Weatherlight is the original version back during the Invasion block I believe.

Like you the Weatherlight crew is my favorite part of the lore so I’ve gone and bought most of the legendary creature and artifact cards for the major players and items of that period. If I could afford to waste a Benjamin I would definitely get me my Sliver Queen.

Caldwin

Citizen
Commander? Or the Vanguard one. I’m pretty sure most Hanna reprints aren’t too high these days, but those Vanguard ones are probably a pretty penny’s worth now.

Whatever those large ones are called. I hesitate to say "oversized" because I know there are some that are simply normal cards made big.

And actually the Weatherlight has two different cards. The one I posted was the post rebuild in the Dominaria set. Skyship Weatherlight is the original version back during the Invasion block I believe.

This is the one I bought.

B8DFA25E-EBF6-4E90-9D52-0632326237D4.jpeg

Like you the Weatherlight crew is my favorite part of the lore so I’ve gone and bought most of the legendary creature and artifact cards for the major players and items of that period. If I could afford to waste a Benjamin I would definitely get me my Sliver Queen.
B03EA983-EF88-4A13-8269-6B0F9DA3F4D7.jpeg

I've had this one since college. It's been well played with.

Also, this arrived today.

BB4ACCEF-710B-4FC9-9137-06B12DBBCA93.jpeg

Caldwin

Citizen
They can both be pretty nasty. I mean, with the queen, you're talking a potentially unlimited number of slivers with all of the abilities already on the table to swarm your opponent. Overlord, like you said, you can find any ability you need but don't already have. So, either one can be nasty.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Honestly, if my sliver deck is taking so long that I need that many extra tokens, it's probably fatally stalled anyway.

Or I just haven't drawn a Brood, Synapse, or Crypt Sliver to keep my numbers up anyway. Which probably amounts to the same thing.

My wife hates my sliver deck.

Caldwin

Citizen
Back in college, my Sliver deck was undefeated for the longest time. If I remember right, they actually had to build a deck specifically made to counter mine to finally bring it down.

Of course, that was the first wave of slivers ever existing. I feel pretty certain today's most mediocre deck could probably trounce my old school sliver deck.

I'll see if I can get a picture.

Caldwin

Citizen
W9SRe2H.jpg

1X Thrawn Quarry: At the end of each turn, if you control no creatures, sacrifice Thran Quarry. T: Add one mana of any color

1X Lotus Petal: T, Sacrifice Lotus Petal: Add one many of any color

4X Clot Sliver: 2 colorless: Regenerate

4X Heart Sliver: Unaffected by summoning sickness

4X Muscle Sliver: All Slivers get +1/+1

3X Crystalline Sliver: Cannot be the target of spells or abilities

1X Goblin War Drums: Each attacking creature you control can't be blocked by less than two creatures

2X Mox Diamond: When Mox diamonds comes into play, choose and discard a land card or sacrifice Box Diamond. T: Add one mana of any color

2X Barbed Sliver: 2 colorless: this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn

4X Winged Sliver: Flying

1X Sliver Queen: 2 colorless: Put 1/1 colorless sliver token into play

City of Brass: Whenever City of Brass becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. T: add one mana of any color

2X Heartstone: Cost of each creature ability requiring activation cost is reduced by 1 colorless. This cannot reduce abilities generic mana cost to less than 1

1X Armor Sliver: 2 colorless: +0/+1 until end of turn

2X Talon Sliver: First Strike

2X Victual Sliver: 2 colorless Sacrifice this creature: Gain 4 life.

5X Mountain, 5X Plains, 5X Island, 5X Forest, 5X Swamp

And here's a pic of my slivers that didn't get into the deck. It's a good bit clearer than the one above so I don't really see the need to say what they all do.

EW4aEaz.jpg

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Not gonna take pics because I'm way too lazy to move over to the kitchen table where there's actually enough room.

2x Brood Sliver: When a sliver deals combat damage to a player, you may create a 1/1 sliver token
2x Muscle Sliver: +1/+1
2x Gemhide Sliver: All slivers tap for any color of mana
2x Quick Sliver: Flash
2x Virulent Sliver: Poison counters
1x Might Sliver: +2/+2
1x Fungus Sliver: When a sliver is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it

2x Crypt Sliver: Tap to regenerate target sliver
1x Frenzy Sliver: When a sliver attacks and isn't blocked, +1/+0 until end of turn
1x Toxin Sliver: Deathtouch

2x Plated Sliver: +0/+1
1x Essence Sliver: Lifelink
1x Pulmonic Sliver: Flying, and whenever a sliver dies, it can be put on top of the library instead

2x Blade Sliver: +1/+0
1x Hunter Sliver: Provoke
1x Heart Sliver: Haste
1x Fury Sliver: Double strike
1x Magma Sliver: Tap to give target sliver +X/+0, where X is the number of slivers in play

2x Synapse Sliver: Whenever a sliver deals combat damage to a player, draw a card
2x Shifting Sliver: Slivers can only be blocked by slivers
1x Winged Sliver: Flying

1x Sliver Overlord: Linked above
1x Spined Sliver: Whenever a sliver is blocked, it gets +1/+1 for each creature blocking it
1x Opaline Sliver: When a sliver is targeted by an opponent's spell, draw a card

1x Urza's Incubator: Choose a creature type; creatures of that type cost 2 less to play
1x Wild Pair: https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=416953
1x Distant Melody: Choose a creature type, draw a card for each permanent you control of that type

3x Forest
2x Vivid Grove
2x Island
2x Vivid Creek
2x Mountain
2x Swamp
2x Plains
2x Terramorphic Expanse
2x Rupture Spire
4x Ancient Ziggurat

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I have a Sliver Commander deck that I could potentially use any of the 5 color legendary Slivers as a commander and the Queen is the only one not in it. And the more recent Slivers are best to upgrade into as they only share their abilities with your own Silvers rather than any on the board. It started life as a premium all foil Sliver deck they put out years ago. But once I got into commander play it has slowly been built into quite the gathering of different slivers.
and one non Sliver that also could be my Commander is Morophon, The Boundless.
A 6/6 Legendary Shapeshifter for 7 mana with Changeling (is all creature types)

As it comes into play chose a creature type. Creatures of the chosen type are WUBRG less to cast, can only cheapen colored costs.
Creatures of the chosen type get +1/+1

Top Bottom