LEGO Optimus Prime

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
LEGO finally confirmed the rumour: an Optimus Prime build is coming!

Link to general LEGO thread:

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
There are photos floating around. 1508 pieces. Very large--the cab/torso is 12 studs wide not counting sticky-out bits. Definitely gonna cost triple digits.

I have no idea how the hell this happened but I'm here for it.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
It be intersting to see what this actually looks like, I like lego thou I am selective on my builds, thou I'm a sucker for their city space sets, so I want to see what this looks like before I decide to buy or not, thou hopefully it look better than the Kero figure from a few years ago!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen

FINALLY! Someone actually made an Optimus Prime that transforms like the CGI Optimus seen in the main menu of the Rhino DVD releases of G1 Season 2!

And, wow, it's as big as a Supreme class toy. Like, Armada Unicron-sized!

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Long rumored, finally here... and it looks... okay? Definitely some concessions made for it being able to transform.

Ah heck, who am I kidding, I was always gonna buy this. I love all the accessories, especially that Matrix.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
For those that don't know, Joe Kyde formerly of the Hasbro Transformers team left Hasbro as a contractor for Lego years ago. He was the lead designer on the Lego Optimus. Very befitting that he took on this project. :)

jA7FlZ4A.jpeg

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
As a fan of both LEGO and transformers, this looks really good, and it's much cheaper than I expected considering it's size and piece count.

$170 for 1500 pieces is decently competitive for a licensed set. Especially with the engineering it's pulling off. I may have to find a way to get this.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
There's something perversely funny about Hasbro trotting out both BtR and Kre-O and never landing with either.

Meanwhile Lego nails it on the first attempt and it's like "yes, this is what it was always supposed to be."

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
There's something perversely funny about Hasbro trotting out both BtR and Kre-O and never landing with either.

Meanwhile Lego nails it on the first attempt and it's like "yes, this is what it was always supposed to be."

With the Hasbro construction brands ones, they always tended to be on the smaller scale, the Kre-o Optimus kit was roughly voyager to deluxe size while this lego Optimus is going to be pretty big and I gotten the sense of scale from the comparison to the lego Voltron, which I do have and have built, thou he off in storage currently as the lions, so this will be more a kin to the first MP Optimus in size but I expect they spent time looking at the Hasbro desgins and looking at the art of the G1 OP and spending ages figuring out how to make him Transform while nailing the look, thou I have a feeling that this might be just a one off, much like how Voltron was, thou I would of loved to seen Lego take on Vehicle Voltron!

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I'm not sure if you noticed, but this is being sold at a slightly different pricepoint from most of those.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I mean, yeah, in all fairness, this thing is bigger than MP1 Optimus, and being sold at a high end collector price point as an adult-level set. Which is something even Lego has only relatively recently been able to do. BTR and Kreo were sold as toys, with the restrictions on price and complexity that being a toy requires.

Tangentially, which thread had the discussion about Hasbro transitioning into an IP company? Because this has the potential to be a good step in that direction. Hasbro's forays into construction toys have been...less than successful, seemingly, so why not license the brands they want to promote to a company that generally has that market figured out?

Top Bottom