Lego and other brick toys

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So, if anyone was having trouble getting the classic Batmobile Lego set, you might have a second chance: My local Walmart just put out a whole prepack display full of them as a 'walmart exclusive', so you might want to check your nearest Walmart. I cant speak for online shopping, but hopefully they are available there, too.

Attachments

• 20210922_211454.jpg
    20210922_211454.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 122

Haywire

Citizen
I don’t know if anyone here was collecting Vidiyo minifigs, but I just found a bunch of boxes of Series 2 Bandmates at a nearby Walmart in the stocking stuffer bins, mixed in with some poly bags. As far as I knew, these were only available at Lego.com and at Lego stores, so if you were interested in the series 2 guys but hadn’t got them yet, might be worth checking out your Walmarts, especially in those holiday bins.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
I like the shape and colors of that--really fits in well with the 1980s Space sets. Always really liked that faceted, extended spaceship canopy--I have a red version from a Space Police set.

I think it would be neat if the angled pieces and arrow flats on the top layer of the wings were blue, creating a sort of "stripe" all the way up and breaking up the grey more. Depending on what pieces you actually own, of course. :)

What's up with the half-hinges on the wings? Just using them as greebles?

Haywire

Citizen
That’s really nice, Stepwise! I like the arrow tiles; they often get overlooked in classic space updates, but they were a common sight on the vintage sets, so this really feels authentic!

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
That’s really nice, Stepwise! I like the arrow tiles; they often get overlooked in classic space updates, but they were a common sight on the vintage sets, so this really feels authentic!
I like the shape and colors of that--really fits in well with the 1980s Space sets. Always really liked that faceted, extended spaceship canopy--I have a red version from a Space Police set.

I think it would be neat if the angled pieces and arrow flats on the top layer of the wings were blue, creating a sort of "stripe" all the way up and breaking up the grey more. Depending on what pieces you actually own, of course. :)

What's up with the half-hinges on the wings? Just using them as greebles?

That was awesome - thanks for the feedback!

I love that extended canopy - I have a couple in trans-neon green for M-Tron, a couple in trans-red for Space Police, and a half dozen in trans-blue that I thought I was going to use in a project a long time ago...some of them were from Explorien sets, but I'm pretty sure I bought some from Bricklink, too.

I was playing around with greebles based on what I'd seen from guys like Peter Reid, so I experimented with both types of hinges on the wings and the tops of hinges out in front.

I went back and tried out more blue - part of why I avoided it before was that the blue canopy and blue detailing elsewhere could blur together, like on some of the Unitron sets. Here's how it came out:

NCS Starfighter Copy2.png

It's really blurry this time around - I must have changed something in stud.io, or my laptop was trying to do too much at once.

Haywire

Citizen
I like that, the blue and grey break each other up so neither one feels like a big block of color.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
i don't know if it's just me being a disillusioned bonkles fan, but anyone else feel like Lego's kinda in a Dork Age rn? like, they rely too much on licensed themes like star wars, superheroes and jurassic world, they renewed the h-rry p-tter license instead of something not TERF-owned like LOTR or whatever, they renewed the overwatch license despite *gestures wildly at ActiBlizz continuing to trip over their own asses*, and they keep picking up licenses nobody wanted like angry birds, trolls or minions.

and then there's the whole "not accepting that bionicle won the 90th anniversary vote fair and square so they decided to move the goalposts after the fact so Castle 'won' the poll" bullshit they pulled.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
Stepwise's post inspired me to share the Blacktron homage spaceship I made a few months ago. It's got the classic black-and-yellow color scheme, and uses a pilot and other pieces from the only vintage Blacktron set I had as a kid (6876: Alienator).

blacktron1.jpg

I always loved the Lego ships where the front splits off as a "scout," so it does that, and it also has a "science lab" cargo section that opens up. Unfortunately I don't have a second Blacktron figure to put back there, but I think the yellow space dude works well enough. I wanted the "doors" to split and hinge sideways like on the real space shuttles, but couldn't get it to work quite right.

blacktron2.jpg

Haywire

Citizen
That is awesome! Blacktron is one of the best of the classic Space subsets, and this really hits all the right notes!

And, yeah, the scout ships that split off the main one are one of the coolest features they had; it was like having 2 ships in 1!

Haywire

Citizen
i don't know if it's just me being a disillusioned bonkles fan, but anyone else feel like Lego's kinda in a Dork Age rn?

For me, I’ve reached a point where most of what I buy is for parts, anyway. Not going to lie, I do buy a lot of licensed sets, mostly for the minifigs. Sure, it’s not the most original Lego has ever been, but I can set up an epic team-up between the Shredder, Darth Vader, and Doctor Doom, and recreate whole episodes of Twisted Toyfare Theater if I want. I have so many unfinished personal projects, including a couple of major SHIPs that have been rattling around in my head for years, that it doesn’t bother me that much if the current offerings don’t “Wow” me.

It does suck for Bionicle fans, because it does seem like Lego is ignoring the legacy of that line, but, to be fair, they’ve kind of gotten away from the “constraction” figure in general, so I wonder how many bionicle-suitable parts are still able to be put in production for any potential revival series.

Ultimately, this stuff goes in cycles. Eventually, Lego will dial back on the licensed stuff and lean more on their own properties again.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
Stepwise's post inspired me to share the Blacktron homage spaceship I made a few months ago. It's got the classic black-and-yellow color scheme, and uses a pilot and other pieces from the only vintage Blacktron set I had as a kid (6876: Alienator).

I always loved the Lego ships where the front splits off as a "scout," so it does that, and it also has a "science lab" cargo section that opens up. Unfortunately I don't have a second Blacktron figure to put back there, but I think the yellow space dude works well enough. I wanted the "doors" to split and hinge sideways like on the real space shuttles, but couldn't get it to work quite right.

That's fun - those colors and the two sections are a little like the Invader. You've also got me spinning up on how to get the bay doors to open shuttle-style. There's probably a way to make it work with clips as hinges - using the old-style hinges would be too big, or they'd mess with the shape.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Bought and built the Sonic kit, a good chunk of it is 1x1 squares, the small ones that are one third the size of the larger block of the same basic shape, thus it takes time putting it together, one thing in the Robotnik vehicle, it says to put in the 4x4 square blocks with just the single hole in top, but the kit didn't have them in it, thou it not seriously effected the build in any way, I guess its something they overlooked during the finalising process of the instructions! Overall, it makes for a good display piece thou I wish they had a segement that is just flat and not covered by stuff, so I hope this isn't the last kit based on Sonic and the zones from the games, I would like to see Tails & Knuckles get mini figures as well as Metal Sonic

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
This popped up on youtube for me and its a awesome setup of a space theme:

My home computer and youtube aren't the best of friends, but I finally went back and looked through this - that's amazing. Not your typical space-base setup. The monorail, the big buildings, the landscaping - those are awesome, but it's fun to look for the little cameos, and the 'used ship' lot and the 'DSV' are crazy coo, too.

The Sonic set hasn't really been on my radar, but it is cool. I like the whole modular feel to it - you can take it down off the office shelf, re-arrange it a little, put it back up, and go into your next meeting. It'd be nice to see minifigures for Sonic and Mario, too.

Top Bottom