Ko-Fi vs. Buy Me a Coffee (or Alternatively...?)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, I'm looking to set up something to help support the stuff I do with my websites (mainly trying to recover hosting costs). I have a Patreon set up (that needs serious revision, I'll admit, but that's to come later), but what I'm looking for is something for anyone who might want to make a one-off donation, rather than a recurring payment.

To that end, I've seen Ko-Fi and "Buy Me a Coffee" around, but I'm not especially familiar with either. Is one notably better than the other, or is this a "they each have their own strengths and weaknesses" sort of thing?

I've also heard PayPal might be good for this, too, but I don't know if there's any problems with using that which make the others preferable.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I thought Ko-Fi and Buy Me a Coffee were literally the same thing until just this moment. Why are there two tip jar services with the exact same labels???

Also does anyone else find it patronizing that they both force their users to insinuate that they, like stereotypical millennials, will be blowing all the money they make on feeding an addiction to overpriced coffee?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I thought Ko-Fi and Buy Me a Coffee were literally the same thing until just this moment. Why are there two tip jar services with the exact same labels???

Also does anyone else find it patronizing that they both force their users to insinuate that they, like stereotypical millennials, will be blowing all the money they make on feeding an addiction to overpriced coffee?
For what it's worth, looking at them, it seems you can change Buy Me A Coffee to whatever you like -- Coke, bagel, cruller, tea, whatever-- which works well for me, as I don't drink coffee.

Top Bottom