Iran. Nuff said.

Nevermore

Citizen
I can't find the other thread so I assume it was lost in the EVENT last year. Anyway.

Current situation: Woman was detained by the so-called "moral police" for the crime of not wearing her hijab correctly. Died shortly thereafter. This caused a lot of uproar by people (mostly women) who are fed up with the system, who blame her death on police brutality, and on the oppressive regime in general.

Lots of protests over the past few weeks. Women burning their hijabs in public, and cutting off their hair as a symbol of their defiance.

Also, numerous acts of solidarity around the world, with women in Western countries cutting off their hair as well. While some naysayers are accusing those of being your average run-off-the-mill attention-seekers who are simply jumping onto the latest activism bandwagon, they are in fact doing something very important: Raising awareness. The only thing preventing the regime in Teheran from brutally beating down the protests and throwing all those who participated into the deepest hole they can find is international solidarity.

A coworker of mine who is originally from Iran (saying that he is not a huge fan of the regime is a massive understatement) just came back from a trip to visit his ailing father. He told me he was there just as the protests started, and he's glad he made it back unscathed. He hopes the Mullah regime will be finally gone for good some time next year.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
They were killing most internet access too last I knew to try to help prevent spread of the word(and presumably to also prevent further organization online?) That was how I first learned about it going on, as I wasn't seeing mention anywhere else until I went looking for more info about what protests were going on that they had to kill internet access for.

Nevermore

Citizen
I'm pretty sure the Teheran regime and the other usual suspects are already blaming the CIA and Israel for being the true instigators behind the protests.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That would require either of those entities to be capable of actually doing something right, so there's that myth busted right away.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Still US and Israeli interference are the go-to boogie-men for countries with high anti-west sentiment. It's the same mentality that leads to certain groups leveraging Islamophobia and antisemitism here in the US.

All I can say about the Iranian protesters right now is GOOD ON THEM. I hope they do bring down their totalitarian theocratic regime. I do hope for their safety, though.

Ungnome

Citizen
Not surprised. Theocrats gonna theocrat. Perhaps this will be the straw that broke the camels back and the people of Iran won't put up with their government anymore.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
There aren't many countries left in the modern world with a weak enough military to be toppled by a revolution, I'd wager. And I don't pay enough attention to world events to know if Iran is one of them, but I wouldn't have bet money on it.

Ungnome

Citizen
I'd imagine pretty much all of them can be toppled by revolution. Just a matter of finding the right trigger and tactics and having enough of the population on your side to pull it off. Regime change doesn't have to be via a revolutionary war either. Political pressure and cultural shifts can do the job just as well, though on a much larger timescale.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Considering they've already escalated to the "round up and murder literally everyone who complains" stage, I don't think a much larger timescale is an option anymore. That's the point where your only option is to start murdering them back, immediately, just out of self defense if nothing else.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
We'll see what happens. Or not considering how hard they clamp down on the internet.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, cause a dictatorship has never said they would do something and just outright lied before. More to the point, even if they actually DID... what did they replace it with: cause NO ONE gives up that level of control willingly.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It does speak to the protests having more power than they expected—which sounds like an excellent reason for them to not stop.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Yeah. All of the doubting.
Driven it underground, perhaps.
New, snazzy costumes that are hard to identify, almost certainly.
Governmental blind eyes to their actions, absolutely.
Disbanded, no.

Top Bottom