Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I went in with low expectations, but I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised. I thought it was a perfectly cromulent Indiana Jones adventure. I wouldn't say I was blown away by it or anything, but it was solidly done and enjoyable, which is all I really wanted.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Hey, unless Indiana Jones has illegitimate children, that's it for his bloodline?
Truth be told, when I saw the movie,
I thought the final scene was going to have a twist ending that would reveal Mutt to be alive (having actually survived the war after being presumed dead), walk in the door, and be embraced by Indy and Marion. No dialogue for Shia needed, though, since it would just be a cameo role.

When Marion walked in, I thought that maybe the time travel excursion had somehow changed history to where she and Indy had never separated, and then maybe Mutt could still be alive in this rewritten time, too.

Axaday

Citizen
If the reason for his absence had been because they wanted to surprise people in the last scene, I guess. But the reason for his absence was that the writer didn't want him and he's not doing much acting.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
If the reason for his absence had been because they wanted to surprise people in the last scene, I guess. But the reason for his absence was that the writer didn't want him and he's not doing much acting.
And I know that there's a not-insignificant amount people who are glad that
this movie had Mutt killed off.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Dial of Destiny will be released on Digital on August 28th. Disney+ viewing will probably be in later September. With an estimated budget of $295 million, the film has managed to scratch out $375 million at the WORLDWIDE box office, with the domestic box office unlikely to go far beyond $173 million.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Dial of Destiny will be released on Digital on August 28th. Disney+ viewing will probably be in later September. With an estimated budget of $295 million, the film has managed to scratch out $375 million at the WORLDWIDE box office, with the domestic box office unlikely to go far beyond $173 million.

Regardless of what it made, its still a flop, as the rule of thumb states that you need to double the budget for marketing costs and take in the Cinema chains cuts, its nowhere near profitable, it pretty much needed close to a billion dollars to break even but its a MASSIVE flop and just another one in a string of flops that Disney is having right now, with the Hulu deal looming, they are looking at having a massive debit at the worse possible time when they are struggling to make money due to their own stupidy!!

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Disney has simply forgotten how marketing works. They got arrogant and seemed to think that 'Hey, its got the Disney name on it and it's part of a major franchise, we don't have to spend much on promotion' It's been going on for several years now.. There have been Disney produced movies that I didn't even know had hit theaters until the digital or physical release was made. Universal Studios produces movies around the same quality levels as Disney, but have a MUCH better marketing department and it has been paying off tremendously the past few years.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I finally watched it last night, and I really enjoyed it! The CGI in the intro scene was great and I loved seeing a young Harrison Ford as Indy again. I even loved the flashback scene where he gets the dial. Both of those were very well done.

Like most of you guys said, seeing Indy punching Nazis was great, and I loved the twist at the end where you find out that the dial only goes back to one place. It is a bit odd that it was the villains of the film that took out the Roman fleet.

I too was expecting Mutt and Marion to walk back in due to the time traveling shenanigans, but at least there is something of a happy ending.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
They kind of put all the interesting action scenes at the beginning. Which, hey, isn't nothing; it basically gave them a reason to put their facemapping tech through its paces and prove that it was mature enough to carry the best part of a movie rather than just a couple of brief shots. The only cue that it's not footage lifted from an unfinished movie made back in the '80s is that Harrison Ford doesn't sound 40 years old anymore, and with all the effort they went to I'm surprised they didn't find a soundalike to ADR those lines.

Axaday

Citizen
I saw it Saturday finally. They did something nice for me. When I was watching the early part of 4 (the good part), the talk about the spy times in the war made me upset with them. It was already too late. They didn't give me those movies. So why point out again that they should've? But the first 20 or whatever minutes of this one really work as the climax of a move that should have been made in 1995. There are a couple spots where you can tell it is CGI de-aging, but they really did a remarkable job in general.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, here is a thought on the BBT idea that Indy doesn't matter to the plot of the first film.

1. If he doesn't get involved Marion dies when the nazis get the amulet.
2. if he is not there when they open the Ark, then the next group of nazis sent to investigate the missing troops gets it and takes it back with them.

However, if Indy doesn't get involved in this film, and instead just gives his half to Wombat, then the nazis still go back in time and still fight the Romans for Archimedes and still crash and die. So the only downside is that the Dial doesn't get returned to the future.

Axaday

Citizen
If Indy weren't involved at all, I am not sure when the Mads would get his hands entirely on the first have of the Dial. The Allies were attacking the train and it is hard to see what would have happened, but it is plausible that Mads would have escaped with half the dial. He studied the thing for decades and didn't figure out where to find the other half. No one of importance but him would have been taking an interest in it. So probably Nazis wouldn't have fought the Romans. But presumably SOMEONE would have SOME time.

The trouble is that Archimedes had already been buried with Mads' watch on, so Indy was always going to get involved. It had already happened.

But the watch was from the 70s. At SOME point, Indy could have found out about it and gotten involved later. Him and Basil.

Axaday

Citizen
2. if he is not there when they open the Ark, then the next group of nazis sent to investigate the missing troops gets it and takes it back with them.

This treads on difficult ground. Unless there is a loophole that I am unaware of, Raiders and the Last Crusade imply that at least the main tentpoles of JudeoChristianity are true. The Ark has no consciousness, so it was God that made the Ark get lost in the warehouse in the United States. God doesn't want the Ark to be used as a superweapon and would have prevented it another way if necessary.

Top Bottom