I'm Making a Mega Man Thread. My fate is sealed. I have... no choice.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Big week for Mega Man fans.

Yay! All the mainline Mega Man Battle Network games in one complete package!

Boo! No Xbox? Boo, I say!

And where does this leave Star Force...?

24 years or so, and not a peep. Now they can't stop giving it to us!

That's not a complaint, mind.

And in just a few weeks, we get our first home release of Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters since Mega Man Anniversary Collection, all the way back in 2004!

Thefakelink

Citizen
Now we just need MM12, which will finally bridge the gap between original and X series, and I’ll be happy.

MrBlud

Citizen
I remember really liking the first few battle networks then they changed a mechanic or something with the battles and it became more aggravating than fun so I stopped playing them.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I remember really liking the first few battle networks then they changed a mechanic or something with the battles and it became more aggravating than fun so I stopped playing them.
Good news, then! I think they're doing them in two separate collections digitally, with 1-3 being the first and 4-6 the second.

Personally, what kept me from finishing most of them legit was the grind you have to go through to get back to the final boss if you fail. Everything loads soooooo slooooooow, and they send you back to the Capcom logo, then the title screen, then the save menu or whatever, and back to the last save point, which precedes a gauntlet of cutscenes and maybe minor battles, and THEN you can try again.

I hate that. I like zippy retries. Die, try again, die, try again. Not "die, take a vacation, check your messages, and see if the game is ready for you to try again."

That said, for no particular reason (I own it... maybe both versions? I'd need to check), I never did finish the series in 6. This will be a great opportunity!

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd happily settle for some sort of Odds 'n Ends collection with it... along with stuff like the arcade games, Soccer, Battle & Chase, Mega Man & Bass (SNES), etc.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Command Mission could arguably support itself with an HD upgrade.

Well... depending on how the original sold, at any rate.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Sadly not to much for me to get excited over.

Having Wily Wars on the switch could useful, but I DO have it on the Genesis mini already, AND I ordered it through Limited Run games for a physical copy of the actual Genesis version so I'm set there.

It'll be nice to have the arcade games on newer systems as well, but I do have the older MegaMan Collection that has them. I also have the Neo Geo Pocket color port complete in box.

Then there is the Battle Network collection... yeah I don't really care for the Battle Network games. I know I played the first one via emulator way back in the day. (I was poor leave me alone) but never actually finished the first game. Just not that big a fan of the battle system.

That being said though, I'll be buying a physical copy to support the series. I'm just not sure I'll ever actually play it.

Now we just need MM12, which will finally bridge the gap between original and X series, and I’ll be happy.
Wait why would 12 do that? Or is this just what you'd like it to do?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Let's be real here: if they link the original MM to X in any way more significant than allegory and lore: they functionally kill the ability to make more original era megaman games. And despite their sparsity, they are profitable, and always wanted, so why would they kill a cash cow?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
They could always just explain it in a crossover game. Have Original, X, Zero, ZXes, Legends, and even Battle Network, Starforce, and X Over cross over in a big celebration. They could do some time travel stuff, so it can be anywhere in the "future" that they want it to be. I mean, they keep doing crossover stuff in some mobile games, I don't see why they couldn't do it in a more polished console game. Without microtransactions (looks over at X Dive).

(That way we can ALSO get Volnutt off the moon. And maybe show some of the Elf Wars pre-Zero. And...maybe connect Battle Network to everything else, why not? Maybe Battle Network's Earth is a actually a planet that the Carbons from Legends created so all the Humans in the moon could be reborn AND none of the Carbons had to die. Both races get to live! It's like a Marvel Comics Counter-Earth situation, crazier things have happened!)

Plus, I don't know if explaining what happened would kill any of the franchises off or not. It's not like Mega Man games are usually known for the plot. You could even use a crossover game to excuse any future games. They changed the timeline, so all the game series are in their own timelines now. The Mega Man games no longer necessarily lead to X. X no longer necessarily leads to Zero. The timeline was always a little wonky, due to games releasing out of order anyway. Explain what WOULD have happened...then change it. Volnutt saves Rock from dying at Wily-virus Zero's hands or something. I feel like part of the reason Mega Man games are getting so rare is because almost everything is so locked-in to each other, they have no idea where to go with anything. So, let them free themselves from being connected to each other. Let them go anywhere and do anything.

On the other hand...Making Zero the new main villain for a few Classic Mega Man entries would probably sell like gangbusters. Tell me a "Zero Trilogy" of Mega Man 12-14 wouldn't get fans excited. Wily is kind of over-played at this point. Zero COULD be the villainous shot in the arm the franchise needs, story-wise.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've always wanted a sort of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker situation, but as a Mega Man X story that explores the last days of the original series without ending said original series.

Edit: Oh, right, I almost forgot. It's late AF, but if you're curious about Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2, then I've got a review for ya'.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
It'd be neat if they tried to make a game that connected the two, but honestly, I don't really need one.

On the other hand...Making Zero the new main villain for a few Classic Mega Man entries would probably sell like gangbusters. Tell me a "Zero Trilogy" of Mega Man 12-14 wouldn't get fans excited. Wily is kind of over-played at this point. Zero COULD be the villainous shot in the arm the franchise needs, story-wise.
Actually, I'm not sure it would. You basically want to take a beloved by fans hero character and make him a bad guy. It MIGHT be interesting, but I imagine more people would whine about it. Of course I'm not sure if X being the bad guy in the Zero series had any fallout either. I also can't remember if they established it was Copy-X from the get go either.

I CAN say that another issue I have is simply the fact that not having Wily be the villain feels wrong. It works for a game here and there. (MegaMan V for the gameboy) But just ditching Wily? That'd be like the next five Mario mainline games don't have Bowser as the big bad. It just doesn't feel right.

Top Bottom