IDW's run on Transformers is over....FINISHED! Eulogies for 17 years of Comics!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The last issue of Shattered Glass 2 came out his past Wednesday. And with it went 17 years of Transformer comic history. It wasn't the most glorious end, personally I feel like Shattered Glass 2 was a little weak in places, but the Last Bot Standing miniseries that finished some months ago was a fairly strong capstone on IDW's Transformers career. And I think a thread where we can all say goodbye to this era of Transformers is appropriate.

I didn't get my start with IDW. I suppose my start with Transformers comics was a collection of the Marvel Transformers/GI Joe crossover, along with a few random issues of the G2 prologue in GI Joe and G2 proper that I probably found in a quarter bin of the bookstore of my local mall, way back when. And, honestly, it wouldn't be until Dreamwave got the license that I would seriously get into Transformers. That's when I started collecting the comics. And getting Titan's reprints of Marvel's G1 comics. And started frequenting the forums and news sites more often. Even dipping my toes into fanfics, like the Transmasters UK universe, Obsidian's Lament, Corrosion of War Without End, and Myth Wars. It was quite the shock when Dreamwave went under and took all the stories they were in the middle of with them. I really had to hunt to find that last issue of Energon way back when. It would be a while before we got news about who would get the license next. I probably first heard about IDW getting it online, somewhere. But, it's possible that I read about it in a issue of Wizard Magazine.

...The year...was 2005...

October 19th 2005 was when Infiltration #0 came out, starting IDW's run on the book. I didn't quite know what to make of the art. EJ Su's art style took some getting used to, for me. Infiltration was a slower burn than I think I was used to back then. It took it's time. There was a lot of focus on the human kids: Verity, Hunter, and Jimmy. It was a lot more grounded and serious than most of Dreamwave's stuff. Looking back, it was a lot more original, too.

But, then Stormbringer came out, and THIS was more like it, for me! Figueroa art! Cosmic epics! New Cybertronian forms for old characters! This was more like what I wanted Transformers comic to be!

Then the Spotlights starting trickling out. Tantalizing teases of this new world. I was hooked by this point. I was enthralled by all the little plot lines that were starting to be weaved into this story. Say what you will about Furman, but this period was some of his best stuff.

I was on the IDW Forums during this period. I remember some of the Q&A's we got with Ryall and Furman being a lot of fun. I think I even predicted a plot point that was pretty subtly foreshadowed in one of the Q&A's.

We also got some really memorable Live-Action Movie comics during this period. Some of the miniseries were better than the films (...insert your joke of choice here).

IDW had a few mis-steps early on. Megatron Origin and the Avengers crossover weren't as good as we all hoped. The first attempt at Beast Wars died a early death, probably due to bringing in too much from the old Botcon comics. The Beast Wars Sourcebook being a mess didn't help. The 80s movie adaptation had great art...but got extra pages in the trade, burning those who picked up the individual issues (*grumble grumble*). But, the "-Ations" and the Spotlights were still going strong.

...Then All Hail Megatron happened. Furman's run was cut short, which definitely annoyed me at the time. Although, I think Revelations tied things up nicely enough. Furman also gave us a peek into what might have been in a fan-released Mosiac. Who knows if that would ever happen nowadays. It's a little hard to say what the "ending" actually was here, but lets go with Reveltations 4 Spotlight Sideswipe, the EJ Su painted issue, on October 8 2008, but there was a lot of overlap between Furman's epilogues and All Hail Megatron's beginning.

The new era began with Focus on Deceptions on April 9 2008, leading into All Hail Megatron. But, All Hail Megatron signaled a low period, creatively, for IDW. At least in my opinion. The stories all took place on Earth (my least favorite planet). It was ALL Autobots vs Decepticons again. It was just a lot more...simplified. We did get Maximum Dinobots, but that wasn't really enough to soothe my broken heart. But, I powered on through....

Then Mike Costa's series started. Basically picking up where All Hail Megatron left off, we got more in that general style. Figueroa came back on art! ...But, in a much more detailed "Movie" style with....let's say "interesting" faces. It still wasn't doing what *I* liked it Transformers comics...but still, I powered on through....

And smack dab in the middle of Costa's run, we got Roche's Last Stand of the Wreckers. A follow up to Spotlight Kup from YEARS before. OH SWEET QUALITY AT LAST! Memorable characters! A unforgettable plot! This was more like it...again! This is going to be a ongoing theme with IDW....periods of greatness followed by periods of mediocrity.

We got a few other odds and ends in this period of IDW, too. The Infestation crossovers...existed, but barely mattered to the story happening in Transformers. And the end of Costa's run brought two interesting things with it. The "Chaos" event, with Livio Ramondelli's..."memorable" artwork, ending with the inscrutable Decepti-God...and the appearance of a little-known writer named James Roberts. We also got another "ending" with Ironhide in the future, with great art by Casey Coller in "Pax Cybertronia" Transformers 31 on December 7 2011. A nice end to a uneven era for IDW's comics, reminding us all of what happened before.

Now, James Roberts name was known in Transformers circles before his gig at IDW. He had written the fan-novel Eugenesis YEARS before, as a part of that Transmasters UK universe I mentioned before. But, you have to remember, Eugenesis wasn't always the easiest thing to find back in those days. There wasn't a PDF version of the story in those early years. If you didn't have a physical copy of that book, you didn't get to read it. So, while I "knew" about James Roberts....I didn't KNOW about James Roberts, or how big of a deal he would become in Transformers comics, moving forward. He had written the Chaos Theory two-parter in Costa's Transformers 22 and 23, but that was just a small taste of what we'd eventually get. December 21 2011 with the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot would mark the beginning of a bold new era for Transformers.

James Roberts is, in my opinion, THE best writer that Transformers comics has ever seen. And maybe ever WILL see. A LOT of what Roberts did came from the foundations that Furman set up, but Roberts builds on those foundations like a master. He made these giant robots feel more human than most humans in Transformers comics prior. They were fun, and weird, and eccentric. And the plots were memorable, and more violent and impactful than ever before. Roberts introduced us to so many concepts: empurata, prime apotheosis, functionism...SO MANY new sci-fi concepts that plugged in PERFECTLY to the Transformers world that we'd never seen before. Roberts created a richer, more interesting world than any writer or any writer yet. A lot of people say he overstayed his welcome. A lot of people say he lost a little bit of his mojo by the tail end of his run. But, this is still the era that I'm recommending above ALL OTHERS when anyone talks about Transformers comics.

And there's the OTHER big name during this period, John Barber. A lot of people actually like Barber better....and that's fair enough. Barber always had a much more grounded style than Roberts. Roberts stories were quirkier and quippier...while Barber's stories were more political-minded and a little slower. And as time went on, Barber proved himself a MASTER of continuity patching. "Fixing" parts of the story from years past. Weaving in plot threads long-thought discarded. The man had a mind for continuity, and used it to every advantage. While, personally, I think James Roberts run is the better of the two, I'll admit, Barber has the better twists at the end of his runs. His spins on Shockwave and Unicron are some of the most memorable versions of these characters ever seen. He brought Hearts of Steel into the main continuity and actually made it work, the absolute madman.

And I'd be remiss if I forgot to mention Mairghread Scott. Not as big a name as the other two, but she still put out some good work. Mostly helping to flesh out Windblade and the other members of the Council of Worlds. While I think the other two big writers of this period are overall more memorable, I think her runs are also "necessary reading" if you want to get the full picture of this era. She really did help give Starscream a interesting angle while he ran Cybertron.

Oh, and let's not forget Tom Scioli's Tranformers vs GI Joe and Gobots miniseries. While they're out of continuity, I'd still say these are must-reads. They're crazy! Insane! Disjointed! Just a fun time overall. Like watching your 6 year olds play with their toys.

Oh, and then there's Livio Ramondelli's Autocracy series books. I...don't really like Livio's art, so these are kind of the low point of this era for me. I can't really get all nostalgic about these. Barber made them necessary reading, because OF COURSE Barber "fixed" it. But, overall...if you were to skip something during this period, I'd say skip these.

We also got some miniseries that focused on the Dinobots in the Aligned/Prime/War for Cybertron games continuity. Those Dinobot-focused miniseries were a neat little oddity.

We even got sequels to Last Stand of the Wreckers. They took their sweet time getting them out, but they GOT them out. Not as good as the original, but still solid reads.

....I feel like I'm forgetting something. Oh, I'm sure there wasn't something huge that made this era even bigger....

...OH YEAH, the Hasbroverse! Hasbro's...frankly over-ambitious attempt to make EVERYTHING in-continuity with IDW's Transformers comics. We got SO MANY SPINOFFS during this era. Micronauts was probably my personal favorite, feeling like the Guardians of the Galaxy, at times. Revolutionaries was a lot of crazy crossover fun. ROM was clearly Ryall's baby. The Visionaries were always kind of interesting to me, even if they didn't get to do much in this universe. Action Man was more fun than I expected. MASK and GI Joe...existed...

Even some of the out-of-continuity stuff was still kind of fun. The Mars Attacks crossover was just a hoot. Furman's Regeneration One was....trying too hard to feel like a 80s comic, but I still didn't hate it, even if most people did.

But, all good things must eventually come to a end. And by November 21 of 2018 this glorious age was over with Optimus Prime #25....but IDW still kept the license. I still don't know what the story behind this was. Every comic was double-shipping for months. We were getting more issues EARLIER than expected than ever...and with IDW that's strange. I can't be sure, but I'm convinced SOMETHING was going on behind the scenes to end everything before the end of that year.

...To be continued (I've used up the 12,000 characters allotment)...kind of a fitting spot, really.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
...And now we're back...With more Transfomers (eulogizing)...

We wouldn't get a ongoing Transformers comic again until March 13 2019 with Brian Ruckley's run on the book, after a LONG wait. I won't go over this again, but I wasn't a fan. To me, this was a low period with a few good ideas. Ideas that were never capitalized on, but *grumble grumble* I'll stop, I've talked about this before. Not a fan. But, the cards that were packed in with a few issues of the comic, advertising the TCG were kind of neat. This was when the pandemic hit, and EVERYTHING got delayed. But, the comics survived. That's worth something. Still, again, I was finding myself powering on through....

Transformers Galaxies gave us a chance to look into the wider universe. But, at least for me, it just didn't seem to recapture the magic of the old Spotlights.

But we also got a few good books during this era. We got a BUNCH of fun crossovers. Star Trek! Terminator! Ghostbusters! Back the Future! And the greatest crossover of all....My Little Pony (deal with it)! In retrospect...IDW was maybe squeezing every last cent out of the license that they could because they expected to lose it in a few years.

Then there was the Beast Wars comic. It had a lot of promise...but, ultimately, fell short of my expectations. Maybe if it had more time, it would have gotten better, but...it took too long to get to the good stuff, in my opinion.

King Grimlock was a strange little oddity. A remake of a old G1 episode, only with a more serious tone.

The Fate of Cybertron one shot once again closed out a continuity on June 29 2022. But, IDW wasn't QUITE done with the franchise, yet.

Last Bot Standing saw a future "Old Man" Rodimus trying to save organics from the last remains of the Transformers race. This, in my opinion, was the best comic to come out of the post-Roberts/Barber era. The last issue came out August 31 2022, bringing a close to 17 years of....

...Oh, wait, we still had Shattered Glass 2...for some reason. I'll admit, the Fun Publication/Botcon stuff going mainstream was NOT what I expected. It's interesting to see other writers try their hand at it...even if they didn't do much interesting with it, by the end. Not nearly as poetic a ending as Last Bot Standing, but the last issue came out December 14 2022. *checks to make sure this is the last one* Yep, THIS brought a end to IDW's 17 years of comic publication.

It's been a wild ride. At it's heyday, IDW was some of the best comics around. Not just Transformers comics, just comics in general. The one-two punch of IDW and Fun Publication's own brand of continuity fan-service are some of the best years in Transformers fiction, ever. I honestly don't know if we'll ever see it's like again. So much creativity and passion was on display. I really miss the Robert/Barber and Fun Publication Club era of Transformers.

Right now, we don't know who's getting the license. Could be Image. Could be Skybound. Could be anyone. But, I hope whoever they are will be able to capture a little bit of the magic that IDW had during it's high points.

Because through it all, highs and lows, I still kept coming back to IDW. Even when I didn't like it, I kept powering through. Because I was convinced it was going to get better. It was crazy. It was unhealthy. It was irrational. And...it was right. Because even during some of the dullest, dreariest times of IDW...there was usually a one-shot or a miniseries that kept me going. And once IDW got good again...they were world class!

But, what did you guys think? Am I being over sentimental? Did I leave out the best part? What's your favorite or least favorite comics and stories of the IDW era?

Til all are reprinted!

(...Did anyone actually read all that? I debated on going with "Til all are Rung"...I forget why...)

Last edited:

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
It's too bad "Transformers: Collision Course" ( https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Collision_Course ) couldn't have ended the IDW reign. When I talked to Alex Milne at TFCon Chicago, he described the story being kicked off by Ruckley's Megatron going after Prime and crew after "Fate of Cybertron" causing the crossover, starting with a (re)visit to IDW05 contunity POST-Unicron.

With all the names attached, this would've been a fitting blow-out with stupid amounts of fanwank.

As for the comics, I actually missed the 'Movie' comics. They made me appreciate the toys of random/brief characters more.

As for Regeration One, I was upset they didn't get nuts and make Annuals for the original Marvel series, that could've been used to smooth over some of the glaring gaps in the original run, even giving Budiansky a chance to play with the characters in a way he couldn't 'cause he had to sell toys.

I also morn for the "IDW Collection" of hardcovers. At least the IDW19 runs got collected so got that going for us, which is nice.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I didn't care much for IDW. I didn't like the world they built or the personalities they assigned to certain characters. It didn't give me anything I wish we could keep with whoever does the comics next.

But dang, what a run. I still have to respect that they managed to keep it going that long. We've burned through so many shows and whole continuities over the years but IDW's been with us, still doing its thing. I'm glad they were there. I'm glad they gave Beast Wars a try. Twice, even. I'm glad they weren't afraid to use less prominent characters, even if they didn't always have a great idea for what to do with them. They gave us the only real roles some characters have ever had.

The Movie comics were my favorite part of IDW's run, and the only part I actively collected. They weren't great, but they had an important job weaving around the films and fleshing characters who otherwise just grunted or didn't appear in the films at all. They helped us remember the names and alleged personalities of what we saw onscreen. Good or bad, they were part of the hype in the early Movie years.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I really liked Furman's original take on things; given him free reign to reimagine the Transformers universe, without having to worry about what toys were on the shelves or be beholden to a then twenty year old treatment, he turned the entire concept of the Transformers on earth onto it's head; they're not here by accident having slept for 4 million years, they're here intentionally, as a single piece in a galaxy spanning war. That was just such a refreshing start for a G1 inspired property at the time. This run just had so many new ideas and was able to draw on pretty much any character or concept it wanted, it was great, though it definitely had it's stumbling blocks - Furman's steadfast refusal to have gender in Transformers unless it's a super weird anomaly leading to some terrible characterization for Arcee being the big one. Sadly, Furman didn't get to complete things the way he wanted and it got truncated, so the ending of that portion is super rushed.

All Hail Megatron came out and the first volume was pretty meh, so I didn't bother with the rest. It basically ignored all of the things I liked about Furman's run in exchange for obsessing about G1 and trying to be "gritty" about it. I think I only picked up Last Stand of the Wreckers for the longest time.

Then everyone started raving about Roberts and Barber's stuff so I picked up More than Meets the Eye and Robots and Disguise and discovered something I never knew I wanted: Transformers stories that weren't about an endless war, but were about what comes next. Those books, IMO, did more to flesh out the Transformers as a race of beings than pretty much anything in the three decades prior. Biologically, culturally and historically. I enjoyed those books so much I had to track down everything I missed, so I wound up buying All Hail Megatron and even the first ongoing, which weren't great but as stepping stones towards works I enjoyed, they were tolerable.

By the time the lost colonies get reintroduced, IDW probably becomes my favorite bit of TF fiction of all time. The fact that we actually got an ongoing book that was basically Cybertronian political intrigue is utterly ridiculous and I'll be forever thankful about whatever confluences of Hasbro being hands off and IDW being ambitious that brought that book about. The stuff they did with Megatron was also pretty great. Megatron post-war somehow always entertaining no matter what he shows up in; Prime Wars, More Than Meets the Eye, Earthspark...

The shine wore off about the same time they started shoehorning in the other Hasbro properties, which was a severe misstep, even if I really like the character Stardrive. Just a bunch of unnecessary things thrown in to get in the way of the existing storytelling. Likewise with just having to find a way to shove Hearts of Steel into the main continuity, for whatever ungodly reason they wanted. The way the series ended was alright even though they killed like half of my favorite characters. :p Unique spin on Unicron too.

Overall, it was a series that lasted 17 years and had the ups and downs you'd expect of any comic that lasted that long and had that many creators touch it. I have an entire shelf of the bookshelf not more than two feet from me dedicated to this comic run.

The Beast Wars run never got enough time to get good, and I wish they could have finished off the UK run (and drop a G2 collection while they were at it.) Regeneration One was alright and I never read IDW's movie stuff I now realize. I really liked the reboot continuity, but that thing was like custom made to appeal to my sensibilities.

Real curious who is going to get the license after this, and what their overall plan is going to be. I'm not really sure what I'd want next, honestly.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I know opinions on the IDW run overall, and specifically opinions on MTMTE/Lost Light vary from hate to "meh" to "greatest thing ever."

There were things that weren't perfect - but - there was fun writing and there were so many great character moments. I really, really liked this series, and I wish I could afford physical copies of the full run.

I loved Rodimus' speeches at the end: (totally admitting that I'm copying these from tfwiki . . . I don't have time to dig them up and re-type them on my own . . . )

"This is not the time to try and split us up. Do you have any idea what we've been through together? What we've achieved? We've seen off a Phase Sixer, cured an army of sparkeaters, survived a mutiny, traveled in time, gatecrashed a universe, and saved half our race. (...) We've liberated planets, defeated the D.J.D., found Luna 1 and the Necrobot, rescued two Metrotitans, been erased from existence, and stolen a moon... and a few hours ago, we died and broke heaven. The key word is we. This isn't about Team Rodimus. This is about Team Magnus. It's about Team Nautica. Team Anode. Team Skids. Team Nightbeat. Hell, it's even about Team Whirl. So if 'the Grand Architect' turns out to be nothing more than the latest in a long line of nobodies trying to prove a point—another sad little trumped-up tyrant who throws a hissy fit whenever the world won't listen—then maybe, just maybe, Getaway was right. Because if you're stupid enough to turn this into us versus you, then guess what? We'll win. We've got form."

- and -

"This is your co-captain speaking—and I've got a question. Have you ever wondered how we made it this far? I mean—we're not the smartest or the strongest or the bravest or the best. We don't have the most firepower or the largest army or the fastest ships. And God knows we're not natural bedfellows. I mean think about it—an archivist, a retired mnemosurgeon, a gunsmith, an archaeologist, a waste disposal expert, a quantum mechanic, a poet, a watchmaker, a barkeep... it shouldn't work—but it does. And it works because we've got one thing in common. Each other. Think of who's listening to this message and I bet you'll think of someone you respect. Someone whose judgement you trust. Someone who makes you laugh. Someone who makes you happy. Someone who makes you feel its okay to be exactly who you are. And I promise—in fact, I guarantee—that someone listening to this is thinking about you in exactly the same way. Okay, so you've made some bad decisions. You've hurt people. You've hurt yourself. You've stumbled through life from one self-inflicted disaster to the next without anything even approaching a plan. To which I say—welcome aboard. Maybe you're not good... but you're sure as hell good enough."

- followed by -

"Even… Team… Whirl."

These were the right turn-of-phrase at the right time, and I still tear up a little when I read them.

I needed to hear those then, and they're a good thing to remind myself of now. It's crazy awesome to get that kind of encouragement from a Transformers comic book.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
IDW's Transformers comics turned me into a comic subscriber (at least until Amazon screwed up Comixology) and I just want to say that we've been incredibly lucky with the absolutely top notch creators who worked on the series. Whoever picks up the comics license is going to have their work cut out matching IDW's quality.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still need to read the reboot stuff and most of what came after, but I loved the first IDW run -- as tough as it was to follow at times.

And I'm probably still missing stuff, after they went full Hasbro Cinematic Universe.

I also really enjoyed ReGeneration One. I think that's my go-to version of Rodimus Prime now. Love that the Kingdom version even came with the sword from that series.

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
MTME/Lost Light is the best comics I've ever read...not just Transformers. If you would have told me when I was a kid that Swerve would be one of my favorite Transformers I would have laughed. Still laughing about Swerve, but for entirely different reasons.

Blot

Citizen
My biggest takeaway for the entire run is gonna be how amazing it was that they managed to pivot "no girls allowed" into "Transformers are basically all LGBT by default."
"What, girls don't exist! Girls existing at all is a big science experiment!"
"Um, yeah, they aren't like people, they're just a brunch of bros being bros and having bro relationships, they don't know regular ol' hetero love"
"...well if you two insist..."

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
MTME/Lost Light is the best comics I've ever read...not just Transformers. If you would have told me when I was a kid that Swerve would be one of my favorite Transformers I would have laughed. Still laughing about Swerve, but for entirely different reasons.
One of my favorite parts of MTMTE/Lost Light is that so many of its cast were characters I had (or wanted) growing up.

Dvandom

Citizen
While the IDW1 continuity got pretty dire for a while, and I actually stopped buying Transformers comics for a while, Roberts got me back with the wacky misadventures of the Lost Light crew, and I backfilled what I'd missed thanks to a combination of a Humble Bundle and slowly buying trades.

---Dave

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
IDW had a good run but as time went on, it felt like the comics were kind of loosing focus and the art styles shifting wasn't exactly helping at times, the comics started out with some good art but when later on, the art was definely going downhill in places, but then I guess, when a company that has financal troubles and not paying its creators on time, you get some poor art! One thing I missed about IDW first run was the spotlight comics where they focused upon a single character and had a self contained story!

Anyway, whoever takes the license going forwards, better be in good financal health and not focusing on stuff that doesn't sell!

Top Bottom