IDW to Lose the Transformers License?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
It's very simple. First Marvel G1 happened. Then Marvel G2. The UK stuff that can fit also all happened during both of them. Then, the Maximals and Predacons went back in time to start the Beast Wars. Because of them, history changed, which led to the events of the cartoon happening instead. Then, in the far future, Beast Machines happened. The end.

😜

Then someone goes back in time and alters history, again and we get Dreamwave timeline, then history repeats as someone else goes back in time and we get IDW timeline 1, then after the IDW 2 before everything starts going wacked and we see the other timelines, nobody can stop it because nobody knows its happenning aside from Primus, Vector Prime & Unicron yet despite all of their vast powers, they cannot truly control time which leads to my belief that there are other gods in the Transformers universe but unlike Primus & Unicron, their stories are not known to us, then again, someone might have them on speed dial!!

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
I'm over any attempts to work with the G1 Marvel continuity after Furman had Megs riding across post-apocalyptic Earth on his Ratchet death sled.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I'm surprised this is going to last until the end of the year. I just looked at the stock prices for IDW and holy shit.. it's barely 2 dollars a share now. I'm not even sure the company will last until the end of the year at this rate.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'm really hoping IDW itself manages to keep itself afloat. Mainly because of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sonic the Hedgehog.

And...poor Sonic the Hedgehog, if IDW does collapse. That would mean 3 comic continuities ending in less than a decade. Ian Flynn can only rebuild a universe from the ground up so many times...

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm really hoping IDW itself manages to keep itself afloat. Mainly because of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sonic the Hedgehog.

And...poor Sonic the Hedgehog, if IDW does collapse. That would mean 3 comic continuities ending in less than a decade. Ian Flynn can only rebuild a universe from the ground up so many times...

I doult it, IDW is loosing money left, right and centre, so, I wouldn't be surprised if they go under within the next few months, they got nothing seriously original as IPs and relying to heavily on licenses to keep themselves afloat, so if another company pulls their licenses, the other companies will follow quickly because the writing is on the wall for IDW, they clearly have no idea how to become profitable again and their stock is pretty much worthless, so I expect within a year or less, IDW will fold, unless something changes dramatically but that unlikely to happen outside of a mircle!

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
That really would be a shame, if the TMNT series had to end before it's time.

As much as I'm liking the current Transformers book, losing it is not the same blow as it would have been had IDW lost the license in the middle of MTMTE. Losing TMNT would be comparable to that.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
Is the KING GRIMLOCK series worth picking up? I'm considering nabbing the issues from Comixology before they vanish into the ether...

Xaaron

Citizen
It's a Madman's Paradise quasi-sequel starring Grimlock as Conan the Barbarian. If that sounds weirdly intriguing to you, then yes.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It's not even a sequel, it's a straight-up remake only with slightly more gritty writing and art. It's...fine. I really love some of the covers (#4's cover with Grimlock fighting a golden dragon is ART! It makes me want to buy a van, just so I can airbrush this picture on the side!). But, $5 a pop feels a little high for something that's ultimately a curiosity. I have no idea why this book exists.

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
I'd say not really, the premise was intriguing but the execution has been lacking. A story that's basically just Grimlock fighting a new opponent every issue really needs to be carried by the art, and the art is kinda confusing/scratchy (the cover art is much cooler as ZC says).

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I've been calling it the Grimlock Isekai, and honestly I feel like that's the only information you need.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Doing some rough maths at work, regarding IDW1P3 Hardcovers:

counting only direct "Transformers" issues (and Revolutionaries since they're being included), I count 95 issues. Plus or minus a few I may have missed and what will/won't 'count'.

P3v1 include 18 issues and P3v2 will have 17 issues, leaving (about) 60 issues over 3-4 hardcovers (containing 15-20 books each) unless they decide to go nutshit and cram everything into 2.

Then there is the release schedule. P3v2 is scheduled for the end of March, 4 months after P3v1, and that was 9 months after P2v12.

Time is not on anybody's side.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
Ruckley's ongoing comic will end at issue #43 on May 25, the same day that the final War's End issue comes out. Both will be "extra-long" $6 issues, to be followed up on in June by a Transformer Special 2022.

Transformers #43 synopsis:
End of the road! Optimus Prime leads the Autobots in a desperate battle on multiple fronts—against the maniacal Decepticons, against the swarming Insecticlones, against the teeming rust worms, against Cybertron itself. But how many problems will the Autobots be able to solve and what offer could stop their journey? An extra-long final issue leading to next month’s Transformers Special 2022!

War's End #4 synopsis:
End of the line! Exarchon makes his final push to claim all Cybertron as his own. Can a ragtag group of Autobots and Decepticons working in parallel defeat one of Cybertron’s all-time greatest threats? And what happens if they fail and Exarchon gets his hands on the sparks he needs to be unbeatable? An extra-long final issue leading to next month’s Transformers Special 2022!

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
IDW reprinted the old Marvel comics, so maybe whoever gets the license next will finish off the IDW hardcovers. It's a longshot though, IDW didn't do big collections of any of the Dreamwave stuff.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
IDW didn't do big collections of any of the Dreamwave stuff.
Mostly because a lot of that later Dreamwave stuff can't be reprinted, due to a lack of proper documentation of whether or not the people who worked on those comics ever actually got paid for working on them.

Pat Lee's bad business practices and all that.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
G2 also didn't get collected, now that I think about it.
Not by IDW, no, sadly.

However, Titan Books did reprint G2 in two volumes back in 2002-2003:

Dark_designs_tpb_cover.jpg
Rage_in_heaven_tpb_cover.jpg

And, more recently in 2020, Hachette reprinted it in two volumes as well:

DefinitiveG1Collection_v90.jpg
DefinitiveG1Collection_v91.jpg

Top Bottom