IDW Little Fillies #2

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, in the Allsparkle Book Club...

We pretended that we've all already read this story in High School and know enough about it to comment on it...

fourthwall1.png

Fluttershy decided to join us in our book club discussing the book she's in. It's a shame no one else wanted to talk about books...
2984194.jpg

....No one at all.

82771403101000231.jpg

Chapter 2: "It's cold and dull out, and I advise you to stay warm and dry by the fire, as I do"

So, how is it? Um...well, I don't know actually. Due to the weather, I probably won't be making it to the comic shop until this weekend or so. It's gotten a little icy on the roads, and we're getting more snow. So...I'm still making this thread, but I can't really comment on the issue yet. I'll probably either edit this post with my thoughts later or put them in another post.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll get around to it. I was hoping this series would be utterly bonkers because the whole concept just screams "Why?"

IDW can't figure out how to write G5 but if they have to be the ones to keep the license, sticking ponies in stories where they don't belong could be silly enough to be fun. The first issue did not inspire confidence though.

Dvandom

Citizen
It seems to be trying to be utterly bonkers, but with Twi reining it in so far. Pinkie's interesting as the only one who actually read the book and knows what's actually core to it, so she actually brings thing back ON topic sometimes when the off-script shenanigans get too intense.

---Dave

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I finally managed to make it to my local comic shop.

This issue seems to be covering Chapters 4 through 8 of the original book, if you want to try and compare the two.

I'll agree, it's trying to be utterly bonkers. But, it's utterly bonkers while making a larger point, I think. The art and writing's the same as the first issue. If that first issue didn't win you over, I don't think this one will. And it's VERY meta. If that's a problem for you, then you'd better stay clear.

But, I'm actually liking this so far. It's a surprisingly fun time. I guess this is another recommendation for me.

They are NOT subtle about Applejack/Laurie being hidden under a sheet in the attic. I wonder how long she was under that?

Pinkie/Marmee seems to be having a background gag in the first few pages, but I'm not QUITE sure what's supposed to be going on. Either she's shooting herself out of cannons while trying to load them up with snowballs, or a gust of wind takes her dress and sends her flying. It might be connected to the Mary Poppins reference later on in the book.

Fluttershy/Beth borrowed Rarity/Amy's handkerchief. I have to wonder if that's foreshadowing...certain plot points in the book.

Rarity/Amy seems to have a thing for putting bows on chickens. I don't remember that from the book, but I'll admit, I'm just skimming it. Were house-chickens just a thing in the 1800s?

"Beth: Practically Perfect in every way" ...Yeah, I have to agree. Fluttershy/Beth doesn't get to DO a lot, but she does seem a little bit "perfect". Hmm...will Fluttershy/Beth end up Mary Poppins later on in the book? This book's crazy enough, they might just do that, instead of...y'know....

"Do you think Laurie will find us all very silly?" ...YES. I think that's most likely. Especially in THIS version of the story.

I honestly don't know why they're so hesitant to let Applejack/Laurie into their group. Well...okay...it makes more sense in the original book, since Laurie's a boy there. And they ARE sisters, they probably want to keep it in the family. It just reads a little odd with the G4 cast.

Rarity/Amy doesn't know what a mailbox is....I'm really not sure how much of that is accurate to the time period. How common WERE mailboxes back then?

"A wild bunny appears!" Fluttershy/Beth's life purpose....HAS BEEN FOUND! Fighting bunnies in the overworld like a RPG protagonist! Seriously, she's as happy as a pig in slop...while she's watching that pig in slop! I like when she's happy, please don't let anything too bad happen to her...

Watchmen reference! I wasn't expecting that. 9-panel grid and everything. So weird.

How fancy of a school do they go to, if they're giving away emeralds and other gemstones like friendship bracelets?

"This commitment to the source material simply cannot go on!" I don't think that's the book's biggest problem.

I...don't know how to parse Teacher Discord feeding Rarity/Amy's emeralds to Spike. On the one hand: Yeah, that seems mean...and slightly wasteful. But...they literally grow like mushrooms in Equestria. And Rarity/Amy was giving them away like brownies she baked...so....I guess it's not THAT big a deal?

I swear, this "only 3 tickets" thing is just so they can do a Ticket Master reference....and they KNOW IT, TOO!

And here, at the play, is where I think we get what the real lesson of the book is going to be. You can be inspired by a work of fiction, without having to be slavishly devoted to it. It's okay to WANT to write like your favorite authors, but you shouldn't let that control you. It's okay to do your own thing. That can still turn out a quality piece of work....kind of like this "parody" of Little Women. It's meta...but surprisingly more complex than I'd expect for a MLP comic. I'm a little impressed.

*Daring Do and the Seven Castles of Diamond Lake* Okay, I wish we got more Daring Do stories. Some of them sound REALLY epic.

And Rarity/Amy BURNED Rainbow/Jo's story in the fire. Yeah, she deserves the problems she's about to have.

*Everybody was kung fu fighting!* Okay, for real...I think in a actual fight Rarity would win against Rainbow. Rainbow has speed, but Rarity WILL go for the eyes, if she has to. What about you guys? Who would YOU put money on in a fight?

"Do you think it's weird that Winona can't talk?" Hmm...I mean, not really, I guess? Fluttershy has the ability to speak to animals. They just have their own language.

And Rainbow/Jo forgives Rarity/Amy after falling in the ice. Remember kids: If you have a fight with your friends, just almost die! Almost dying fixes ALL your problems!

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
I'll admit, the only thing I knew about the original going in was that Jo eventually gets paid for a story and her word rate is comparable to 21st Century fiction rates.

---Dave

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't remember the book at all. My class never finished it. We tried watching a movie but we never finished that either.

Top Bottom