IDW Little Fillies #1

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
STL244029.jpg

Chapter 1: "It's so dreadful to be poor!"

Welcome, friends, to the Allsparkle Book Club! We have two goals here: discuss the comic and drink wine...and we're all out of wine!

Fun fact: The book that this comic is based on, Little Women, is in the public domain. So, go to Google and pick up a PDF if you want to compare it to the original story. No one can stop you! This issue roughly covers Chapters 1-3.

So, how's the comic? Better than I was expecting, actually.

The art style is...strange. It's a odd choice. But, it's not bad. I was never wowed by the artwork, but characters have expressions. Emotions are conveyed. I grew to kind of like it over the course of the issue.

And, thankfully I think, tongues are firmly in cheek. The characters are winking to the camera a little. The characters know they're in a adaptation of Little Women. Discord is playing multiple roles. Jokes are being made. It's helping to make things a little more interesting.

I'm not sure if this is going to end up being a roleplay session with Discord or if they'll never really address what's going on, but the characters feel like their Pony-selves. It's possible the writer just wanted to be meta. And I enjoy meta.

But, it's still got some heart. You can feel Rainbow/Jo struggling to escape her boring town through storytelling. There are some "serious" moments, too. It strikes a nice balance in tone.

I...think I'm recommending this? I'm surprised, too. Go figure. This feels pretty decent. It's a odd choice, adapting Little Women. And we'll see how they handle...certain plot developments in the future. But, right now, this is pretty okay.

Cheese Sandwich is their dad. Off trying to stop a "war" between literal cats and dogs. I type "war" because there's songs and frisbees. I guess they don't want to make things too scary for the kids. *Looks over at Fluttershy/Beth worriedly*

There are a LOT of mice running around their house. They're all in bows and dresses, but I'm still wondering why that's a thing. That doesn't seem to be a thing in the book.

Rainbow/Jo meets Applejack/Laurie while they're both avoiding a party. It's kind of nice to have SOME media focusing on Rainbow/Applejack since they end up together in the future. I'll take it even if it's a alternate-playground thing.

It's entirely possible that I just like this because I miss the G4 cast. It's nice seeing them all again. *SIGH* I like G5, but I do miss G4 a little.

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
Basically, it feels like* the Mane 6 found out about O&O nights and asked Discord to let them roleplay something too. He's GMing a Completely Original Story He Absolutely Didn't Steal From Another World and they're all playing roles (with Discord playing a bunch of the supporting cast, as a GM must do).

* although it doesn't completely map

---Dave

Top Bottom