IDW G5 #8

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony....
3007681.jpg

We found out that Hitch has hollow bones, like a sweet little baby bird.

And now...
MLP_G5_08-coverRI.jpeg

Hey, this is the last "filler" issue before the plot kicks back in for issues #9 and #10! And it features the return of Andy Price on art! That's something!

Though, from what I've seen of the previews...Andy's G5 style *might* be a little divisive. (Those chubby cheeks...).

...Again, unfortunately, the weather is playing havoc with my hobby. This is officially a pattern, I'm sorry to say. I'll probably be able to pick this up tomorrow or the next day, but the thread's up for others who can make it in today.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll still judge some aspects of the art, but I am not going to criticize how the heads are drawn anymore. G5 heads are hard. G4 muscle memory will not help you.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Made it to the comic shop!

Y'know what? I officially retract my reservations about the art. Andy Price does good work in this issue. There might be a panel here or there where the characters look a *little* off, but the majority of the time, they look on the money. And he still brings a lot of energy to the artwork. One criticism (sorta) is that especially after re-reading the very first MLP issue he ever did...this just isn't as jam-packed full of references and Easter eggs in the background. There are a few though (especially if you keep a eye on the smoothie cart) but...I'm guessing Hasbro asked him to tone it down, which is kind of a shame.

Story-wise? It's...another filler issue. One of the better ones, in my opinion, but there still isn't a lot to it, really. And...some people will probably take issue with how Izzy's written here. But, again, it's consistent with the story-arc IDW is telling, so I don't have a problem with it, myself. But, as a Izzy-centric issue, it's something that's front and center, if you have a problem with it.

So, it's a filler issue...but not a bad one. Maybe the second-best filler issue we've gotten so far (My vote for the best filler issue goes to #4, the one where Pipp writes her blog post). But...I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to the main plot next issue.

On to the spoilers!
The majority of this issue is a flashback to before issue #1. Which...yeah, that's a solid idea. Building up WHY Izzy is feeling left out a little is a good idea. I...just don't think this issue goes QUITE far enough to make her feel totally left out for this entire arc, but the idea's a good one, on paper.

We missed seeing the Pie Festival. Oh, what antics we could have had.

Nose-boops are alive and well. I am pleased.

Sunny and Izzy have a special smoothie they made together: the Dreamy Creamy Peanut Butter Starbow! I don't drink enough smoothies, so most of these smoothie jokes are going to go over my head.

Sunny gains a entourage after becoming a alicorn. And Izzy feels left out, since Sunny's spending a lot of time flying without her. (To be fair, if *I* got the power of flight, I'd probably be flying a lot, too). Now, I know a lot of people take issue with this. And...yeah, I guess most of the time Izzy would be 100% be in denial mode for stuff like this...but I still think it's a fair plot line. And...IDW REALLY committed to it, at least. Can't fault them, there.

Izzy gets the idea to decorate Sunny's smoothie cart and she's off like a flash. There's some good cartooning in Izzy's reactions in some of these panels.

Note: Izzy has a industrial-strength glitter blaster...and she knows how to use it.

"Even smoothies deserve to feel cozy". Izzy's making smoothie sweaters. I honestly expected more gags, based on the covers.

Oh, and Izzy's helmet and skates have stickers for the G4 Mane 6's cutie marks, that's a cute touch. I can't help notice there's not a butterfly sticker for Fluttershy, though. Even Applejack gets a apple! I guess maybe the pink hearts are for Fluttershy? Also, 20% Cooler makes a return. It's almost retro at this point.

Okay, the smoothie cart is clearly based on the toy and the cart Sunny used in the original New Generation movie. Not the smoothie truck she has in the majority of her other appearances. I'm just so used the the TRUCK I guess I forgot the CART even existed.

Some of Izzy's new smoothie flavors are very...Izzy. "Eggplant Extravaganza". "Wasabi Whammy". "Grape Garlic Gusher". "Jalapeno Blast". I am both scared...and yet tempted. I kind of want to try some of these flavors. And there's a few cute non-flavor-related gags on the cart. "Now with more SMOOTH". "Guaranteed real fruit 89% of the time". It's just a shame that these are really the only Andy Price style background gags in the comic.

There's NO WAY anyone other than Izzy can match someone's perfect flavor to their sparkle/aura, at the time. This was just a excuse so Izzy would have to hang out with Sunny AT ALL TIMES...and fair enough.

"Did you read my mind?" "No, unicorns can't do that...OR CAN WE? OOOH!" Izzy's face. Andy Price still sneaks in a few classic "faces" in here.

Ahh, poor Izzy. Sunny kind of rejects most of Izzy's decorations, and new flavors, since...I guess her dad helped her invent some of the flavors. Argyle made smoothies, too. Was there anything that stallion COULDN'T do? Sunny likes the new apron, though.

"I just think about that letter I found when I was a little filly. It said I had a friend in Maretime Bay and I actually got to meet her! Magic or no magic...And now I just miss her."
GEEZ, IZZY, UGH MY HEART!....laying it on thick with the feels! That one got me!

Oh, and one more parting shot of Discord with the...wrong Pegasus Crystal, actually. The Pegasus Crystal here is colored purple, like the fake one in Queen Haven's crown. The REAL Pegasus Crystal is actually blue. But...that's a BIG nitpick. It's pretty easy to get the two mixed up. Especially, if you're using the toys as reference, as MIGHT have happened here. Maybe we can just blame it on the lighting.

Discord's also in his G4 look, but...for some reason I find that less off-putting than the crystal mix up? Discord can change his appearance at will, most times, after all.

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
It feels like Price was either rushed or told to lay off the background clutter...there were a couple of background bits, but otherwise the backgrounds were practically deserted by Price standards. I feel he should've done more to clarify the nested flashbacks while they were going on...as a filler issue, it kinda floats in timelessness already, so there's not a lot of context for present versus past versus deeper past.

---Dave

Top Bottom