IDW G5 #13

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
jazz_attitude.png

"Why, Miss Jazz, I do believe you are trying to seduce me..."

And now, prepare to get hungry, because this issue's all about baking sweets!
STL264675.jpg

(...I want to eat Fluttershy's face. What Mane 6 cookie would YOU bite into first?)

So, how was it? It was fine. The art is good. The heads and faces are a *little* "rounder" than normal, so it takes a LITTLE getting used to. But, the art is also expressive and better paced than some of the other artists. Some of the panels ARE a little larger than I usually like to see...but they're mainly used to highlight the food, so I forgive them. I like this artist. I hope they return.

The story's kind of a big nothing...but not in a totally unpleasant way. Unlike the Hitch issue, this one is just....aggressively pleasant. Nothing big happens. There are no great jokes. No really memorable lines to highlight. But...I can't help but feel satisfied, oddly enough. This is just a nice little afternoon hanging out with these characters. This issue is...just kind of a mellow vibe. It's totally skippable, but I enjoyed my time with this issue well enough. The good art is probably helping to carry the issue a little.

The entire plot of this issue is a baking competition. Food Wars or Iron Chef this isn't. Actually, I'd really like to see a issue like that. Show me ponies experiencing the ecstasy of flavor and the pressure of competition!

The theme of the competition is...BAKED WITH LOVE! I suspect these judges are actually Changelings in disguise...(They aren't)

I feel like these judges are probably references to different real-life people, but I have NO IDEA who.

I'm not sure if they were supposed to bring their own ingredients or not, but they seem woefully unprepared. They probably don't deserve to win this, honestly.

Aww, Argyle used to bake jam-cookies with lil' Sunny. That's so cute. And now, I want jam-cookies too. This entire issue WILL make you crave sweets!

What's this? The Queen...WILLINGLY baking cloud beignets and spending time with her daughters?! Who are you and what have you done with the real Queen Haven!?

To be fair, I don't think I'd be able to guess Pipp's charade, either. Maybe Pipp's just bad at charades?

I like sequence with Mad Scientist Izzy baking up chocolate with peppers in it. Get that figure out ASAP, Hasbro.

And, yes, putting hot peppers in chocolate IS a real thing. I don't think I've ever had it before, but the theory of contrasting flavors is sound.

I think it's these flashbacks that help make this issue feel not totally unworthwhile. While it's not much, we do get to see little bits of these characters' pasts with their parents (...except for Izzy). And I guess that's just enough for me.

At this point, the Mane 5 have been reminiscing so long that half the competition is probably over. Of course, it doesn't really look like the other competitors are doing very well. A LOT of rookie bakers in the background setting things aflame.

So, they just...throw a bunch of stuff together and call it a day. I mean, this probably isn't a BAD cookie. I'd probably try it. But, they really don't deserve to win for it.

Izzy eating all the sprinkles is totally in character, though. Girl must have skipped breakfast this morning, because she's been hungry all issue. That was a mistake on the day of a cooking competition.

And they don't win, Dahlia does. (She was in the background, before) Good. Since we learned she wanted to open a bakery last issue, there's some actual continuity there. Also, this confirms that Dahlia is the one who can bake with the most love.

And everyone got hungry for all the sweets they were describing, so they all have a picnic. And I am incredibly jealous!

So, yeah, this was pretty uneventful. The Mane 6 enter a baking competition and lose. That's it. But, it's pleasant enough that I just don't mind it this time I guess.

Last edited:

Top Bottom